Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repair or Replace Roof

We have a 2019 Reflection that has developed a 1.5 inch hole in the roof about 2 inches from the edge. The repair shop is pushing me to file an insurance claim and replace the entire roof. Any recommendations to repair or replace? If repair, what are the best options? Thanks in advance.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be as simple as a piece of Eternabond tape. Got a picture? Sounds like the repair shop might be looking for money. If you need a roof, there are better options than the factory stuff.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a picture.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof hole photo.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	40636

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it were my roof, I think a bit of eternal bond would fix it up. And keep an eye on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy Eternabond fix
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jottohedrick View Post
    Here's a picture.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof hole photo.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	40636
    Your roof is a TPO roof made by Alpha Systems. Here is a link to the manufacture recommended patch procedure. https://alphallc.us/wp-content/uploa...h-SFX-2020.pdf I think the Alpha site also sells repair supplies.
    Also Lippert is the authorized deal for Alpha products so look there also.

When you do the patch make sure that the place you are applying the patch is not just clean but real clean.

When you cut your patch material round all corners, helps keep patch from pealing off.

Make sure your patch is large enough, I would make it at least a half inch around the hole. Looking at the picture there is a circle left of the hole,is that a damage area? If so extend your patch over that area. If your hole is on a corner then you need to leave enough material to securely attach to the base fabric.

Is the hole in the fabric at the bend where the fabric goes from the flat roof to the vértice side? If yes you will need to be careful when applying the patch to not have wrinkles. When applying the patch I would start at the bottom and work my way up and over the transition. Practice applying the patch material with the backing on it so you will know what you need to do because you only get once chance to put it on then it is stuck.

If you need to close the hole up before your final patch gorilla tape can be used to make a water tight seal. Be careful taking the tape off so you don’t make the hole larger.
    Last edited by Always Learning; 05-14-2022 at 06:18 PM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What’s unclear from the picture is if this is just the membrane or does this hole go all the way through to the insulation?

If you have good roof structure, then patch is fine. If not, then I would get some wood and adhesive and fill the hole first before the patch.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jottohedrick View Post
    We have a 2019 Reflection that has developed a 1.5 inch hole in the roof about 2 inches from the edge. The repair shop is pushing me to file an insurance claim and replace the entire roof. Any recommendations to repair or replace? If repair, what are the best options? Thanks in advance.
    I would look into a warranty replacement. Your roof has a ten year warranty and this hole looks like a material or installation failure. How long have you owned the coach?

The hole is in a very bad spot for repair, there is no guarantee that a patch will be a long-term fix.

Are there any other areas along the roof's edge that look like they might fail also?

Your roof is too new to have a hole in it, I might lean toward a complete replacement, especially if I had an extended Warranty.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    What’s unclear from the picture is if this is just the membrane or does this hole go all the way through to the insulation?

If you have good roof structure, then patch is fine. If not, then I would get some wood and adhesive and fill the hole first before the patch.

Bill
    Good point. If the hole has been there for awhile it could be rotted.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your lucky if hole only problem and no other rotted damage. We noted brown residue under a window to floor so investigated caulking and then roof. Noted 1/2" tear similar to above picture near middle vent, as roof was already spongy underneath in big area almost 5 by 8'. Upon further exam roof inside had been wet for sometime. Called about warranty and does not cover damage but just defects. I had good insurance and they covered complete new roof for over $12,000. Had roof inspection and sky light repair 18 months earlier so takes little time to do a lot of damage. Visually inspect often...

2018 Reflection 220RK
    Last edited by lilltom; 06-25-2022 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Identification