User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Disconnect wired correct?

I am an ASE Certified master mechanic close to retirement so electrical issues are no problem for me. I just pulled our "NEW" 303RLS out of RV bay to ready for the season and my 12 volt battery was dead. I thought I hit the disconnect when stored so I charged the battery and load tested it thinking it was defective. It load tested fine. After a few minutes of testing I discover the disconnect is not wired to shut off all electrical from the 12v battery. It is only killing one circuit breaker that is separate from the common buss. This is our 3rd RV and on our others when the disconnect is off there is no battery power to anything which make sense. Was not sure if this is correct so I call the dealer and get NO tech help but they would be glad to "put it on the schedule" for inspection/repair and I would have to leave it a few days. 60 miles round trip on a busy interstate, twice, with diesel prices;NOPE! Warranty covered or not if this is not correct I can take care of it.
    So here is the question; Has any other GD owners noticed this condition of the disconnect not wired to shut off everything and would there be a reason for it to be connected that way? Also wondering if anyone has acquired a wiring schematic for a 2022 303RLS?
    Last edited by 2dogs3; 05-14-2022 at 06:16 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, 99% are wired like that where the battery disconnect doesn’t disconnect everything. My battery on my 337 won’t make it a week with the disconnect switch turned off. Propane leak detector, level controller etc remain connected.

Most of us just wire a real disconnect at the battery. I used a marine battery disconnect switch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C9F7590A-8577-4C49-A3D1-075F1F72CABE.jpeg  
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IME, there are more trailer wired to "NOT" shut off everything when the Battery Disconnect Switch is "OFF", than there are ones wired the other way. Makes no sense to me, but I have had a spirited discussion with a guy who averred that the "ONLY" way to wire a Battery Disconnect Switch was to wire it so it didn't shut off everything. He said the Grand Design purposely wired them that way, and I disagreed. My last trailer, a Keystone Fuzion, was also wired so that several items were on including, but not limited to the radio, and main control panel lights. Go figure. Our present 2019 Momentum 351M shuts off everything when the Battery Disconnect Switch is turned to "OFF". "That's the way I like it, uh hunh, uh hunh..."
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure your propane detector is hot all the time as well. A good thing?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroguy View Post
    Pretty sure your propane detector is hot all the time as well. A good thing?
    Not all that important to me. If I've got the Battery Disconnect Switch turned to "OFF", I've also got the propane turned off because I'm not using the trailer. The propane bottles are well ventilated and unlikely to have issues with gas buildup, and beside they're outside the trailer, and the detector is inside.
    Howard and Peggy

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Not all that important to me. If I've got the Battery Disconnect Switch turned to "OFF", I've also got the propane turned off because I'm not using the trailer. The propane bottles are well ventilated and unlikely to have issues with gas buildup, and beside they're outside the trailer, and the detector is inside.
    I agree, just think the manufacturer has certain safety cultures to adhere to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to relocate break away feed for brakes to batt.+ and rewire for complete 12v shut off when storing. Also adding second battery for more reserve capacity. Thanks for replies.
    Last edited by 2dogs3; 05-14-2022 at 09:36 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On my Imagine, the things that don't turn off that I've discovered so far:

Entertainment unit (for clock and presets)
    Propane detector
    Smoke detector
    Emergency trailer brakes
    Tongue jack

My old dealer that reps about 10 brands noted that almost every version they sell is similar.
    My current dealer that reps 12 other brands also says the same.
    It is pretty rare that either gets a new-from-the-factory where the shut off actually shuts everything off.

Many install a separate switch. I just undo the connections off of one of the batteries when not using it for longer than several days.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The break-away switch for the trailer brakes doesn't draw any amps, so it does no harm to have it connected directly to the batteries, and it actually be be preferable so you have no fear of any connection issues with power to the break-away switch.
    Howard and Peggy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    The break-away switch for the trailer brakes doesn't draw any amps, so it does no harm to have it connected directly to the batteries, and it actually be be preferable so you have no fear of any connection issues with power to the break-away switch.
    As discussed in other threads, if you store at a storage facility and someone goes around and pulls all of the break-away switches, then battery dead not to mention any issues with brakes. If you have an electronic leveling system, or an electric tongue jack, then there is no risk of not turning the real disconnect back on before towing, as you can't hook up without the 12V on.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast