Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Did I blowout my A/C?

All of our trips have been to the north coast of California or the Oregon Coast. Never used our A/C. This trip our first stop was in Visalia, CA at a KOA. It was hot. We turned on our A/C and it worked great. The next day we went to Sequoia National Park. When we got back it was hot and we turned on our A/C. It went on and then the EMS cut the power with a PE4 (low voltage) code. A few seconds later the EMS restored power and the A/C again went on and again a few seconds later the EMC again cut power. This is where I probably blew it. I let this cycle continue hoping the A/C would come on and stay on. No such luck. Eventually the fan would run but the compressor would not come on. I turned it off for an hour or more and then tried again when the EMS showed voltage above 110. The voltage had been ranging between 104 and 107 and I saw a 99 once. Again the fan would come on and after awhile the I could hear the compressor attempt to start but it quit after a second or two. I did notice a spike on the EMS display of over 40 amps each time the compressor attempted to start which was every 3 or 4 minutes. I turned the A/C off until I can have it repaired.

The A/C is equipped with a Soft Start. I'm guessing it is shot. This was the first stop on a 20 day trip through southern California, Arizona, Utah, Nevada and back home. It's going to be 80 or above everywhere we are going. As luck would have it the only day we have left in Visalia is Sunday. Probably not going to get a mobile mechanic out on a Sunday. Monday and Tuesday are overnight stops in the California desert where it will be in the high 90s. We are already miserable with the temperatures in the trailer above 80 at 10:30PM and the A/C on fan mode doesn't help much. I'm thinking of cancelling all my reservations and heading home while we are still only a day away from home.

Any thoughts of the health of my A/C? Is it toast? Also the TLC TV won't turn on. The little white light on the bottm just keeps flashing. Maybe I blew that out also.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your connections. My AC worked fine for a Big Bend trip in April 21. Then it mysteriously would start short cycling and not much cold air. Got up on the roof and pulled the cover off of the electrical box, think it is a 3/8 nut for the cover. Found the wire to a capacitor had wiggled off the terminal. They are all spade terminals so I gave each one an angled crimp and pressed them home. It was a 15 minute fix. Your AC is too young to die.

The TV I am not sure about. Unplug it and let it sit for a minute. I’m sure checked breakers and maybe plugged in something to the same outlet.

Good luck.
    Last edited by stroguy; 05-15-2022 at 05:31 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GaryS check your PMs
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you may have power issues at the pedestal. Do you have the ability to check voltage at the pedestal? Or try a different power source (i.e. generator)?

Full-time Traveling Family ,'21 Momentum 395MS-R, '21 F450 King, 2000watts solar, Dual Victron MP-II 12/3000 2 x 120v, 1220ah LiFePo4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    Sounds like you may have power issues at the pedestal. Do you have the ability to check voltage at the pedestal? Or try a different power source (i.e. generator)?

Full-time Traveling Family ,'21 Momentum 395MS-R, '21 F450 King, 2000watts solar, Dual Victron MP-II 12/3000 2 x 120v, 1220ah LiFePo4
    My EMS was reporting 104 to 107. Sometimes a little higher and once I saw 99. Alternative power source won't help now. Voltage is 118 to 120 today but the low voltage damaged something in the A/C.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package