User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When TPMS systems started to trickle out [new Fed standards] the system was terrible. Lots of new problems. Eventually, all the problems were solved. The early sensors only lasted about 5 years before the battery went out. The batteries are not replaceable on the OEM sensors. Over time, I believe the sensor batteries last well over 10 years and probably 15. The cost of the sensors have dropped a lot too.

I suspect the aftermarket sensors do not have to meet the same standards that a manufacturer would have. Adding the additional weight on a rubber stem, lost sensors, etc would certainly cause some warranty issues.

Now that the dust has settled on these systems, there are no downfalls using it. I guess the initial cost and the regular battery replacement is the only thing.

Now if I can only get my clients to add air when the light comes on, it would be great. So many cars I see have the light on with a low tire pressure. When I ask, they say that the light has been on for several weeks. WTH? The manufacturers did their job, they are not going to have the tire air pressure service team stopping by to add air in your tires. It's not like the Weathertech commercials.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Now if I can only get my clients to add air when the light comes on, it would be great. So many cars I see have the light on with a low tire pressure. When I ask, they say that the light has been on for several weeks. WTH? The manufacturers did their job, they are not going to have the tire air pressure service team stopping by to add air in your tires. It's not like the Weathertech commercials.
    LMAO. I hear ya. It's like the CEL on our GMC Sierra pickup. The ignorant thing is on so much I've learned to ignore it.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best way to repair a tire can not be done on the road. If you have a new tire and don't want to replace it take the tire to a shop that does plug patching. The problem with a plug is it doesn't seal the inside of the tire. A patch wouldn't seal the outside of a tire which can allow moisture to get in and rust the belts. A plug patch is installed from the inside. The pug and patch are all one piece. Push the plug through from the inside pulling the patch up to the tire and sealed up.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    The best way to repair a tire can not be done on the road. If you have a new tire and don't want to replace it take the tire to a shop that does plug patching. The problem with a plug is it doesn't seal the inside of the tire. A patch wouldn't seal the outside of a tire which can allow moisture to get in and rust the belts. A plug patch is installed from the inside. The pug and patch are all one piece. Push the plug through from the inside pulling the patch up to the tire and sealed up.
    Plug patch combos are definitely the best way to fix one in my opinion as well...but I've never had a regular plug leak either as stated. A proper plug will vulcanize to the tire inside and out around the hole. I don't see the reason to add the extra expense of re-fixing a fix after the fact unless you are just absolutely se on 'peace of mind'.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a flat, at home after a trip, last year on the camper. I took it, and the spare to a local guy (semi related) and asked for the spare to be put on the aluminum wheel for use on the road. The tire with the hole was plug-patched and placed on the steel spare. Would I run that tire as a normal on road tire? Absolutely! But I don't need to so it's a really good spare now. I have also never had an issue with plugging a tire on any of my vehicles and using them for years. In the case of the camper, with the extra tire pressures and weight, I wanted the plug-patch.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Even with a great plug, with the coating on the inside of the tires (almost teflon like) it is hard to get anything to vulcanize to it. Going back to the 1960s-70s, the shop I worked at would never plug a tire per owner's orders. Dismount, wire brush with drill, rubber cement, light with bic lighter and extinguish, place patch, use roller to secure. I'm sure plugs and cement have advanced but I can see why the plug/patch combo is the recommended repair.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Even with a great plug, with the coating on the inside of the tires (almost teflon like) it is hard to get anything to vulcanize to it. Going back to the 1960s-70s, the shop I worked at would never plug a tire per owner's orders. Dismount, wire brush with drill, rubber cement, light with bic lighter and extinguish, place patch, use roller to secure. I'm sure plugs and cement have advanced but I can see why the plug/patch combo is the recommended repair.
    The plug patch was installed exactly as you say. I worked in a garage while in high school. That's the way we did them then too, although we had Zippo's.
    Bob (retired) & Vicki
    Scuba Diver
    US ARMY Vet (Go Cav!)
    2019 Reflection 31MB
    2019 Chevy 2500HD LT Crew Cab Gasser

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    The plug patch was installed exactly as you say. I worked in a garage while in high school. That's the way we did them then too, although we had Zippo's.
    You're right - had to be a zippo in my pocket - no Bics yet. Matches worked also
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    A plug kit will save you tons of heartache on the road for emergencies. I'll plug a tire and never look back. I've never to this day had a plug leak after installing it. I use a Blackjack kit.

One thing I still don't understand is why in the fruit salad does OEM's not put TPMS on the spare tires? I'd be willing to say that almost none of you can say you regularly get under your trucks and check the pressure in your spares. It just doesn't make any sense to not have that option from the factory. Maybe the new trucks do, but I've yet to see one myself that does.
    Should I be ashamed to admit that I regularly check the pressure in the spare on both the truck and the trailer? [emoji13]

Right now, I check both as part of my pre-trip departure checklist, when we are going in a trip father than 400 miles, one way, or at the beginning of the season.

When we start full-timing, I'll be checking both before we leave a location that we have spent 30 or more days at, or after (approximately) 30 days of short stays.

When I was taking flying lessons, that was the one thing my flight instructor beat into my skull. Safety checks aren't for anyone else but your peace of mind (and the FAA/NTSB). It's on you too make sure the aircraft is safe to fly. You are not in the military and don't have a Crew Chief and maintenance crew going over the bird, so it's up to you! I kind of carried that lesson on to most of the rest of my life, even though I never got my pilots license (to dang expensive to fly for pleasure).
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I filled my trailer tire fast to 65 psi VERY quickly with a, RIDGID 18V Cordless Digital Inflator (Air Compressor). The Inflator & BATTERY has a Lifetime Free Replacement Gaurantee. Battery Fits the family of RIDGID Tools . Available at Home Depot.
    2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4 5.9L HO I6 Cummins 48Re 4-Speed Automatic w/OD
    2020 Grand Design 22RBE
    Huntsville, AL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast