User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flat Tire On The Road

We just had a flat tire on our truck, right rear inside dual (naturally had to be). We had gotten to our Campground, unhitched and set up. Was leaving CG to visit Wife's parents for Mothers Day and our Son. Noticed RR tire was reporting 1 PSI. Got to work removing the tire, had to kick rear tires with both feet to brake rims loose - stuck. Big screw in inside tire.

I always carry a tire plugging kit that has a reamer, multiple plugs and insert tool and our Viair compressor. Removed, plugged, installed, aired up and on our way again. Took a little while for the Viair compressor to air up the tire to 65 psi but was fine. You never know when you may have to fix a punctured tire on the road, so have the tools to get you going again. Get your rig to a safe place to work on the tire. We were in the CG.
    You can always go to a tire shop later to have it checked but having the tools on hand can get you going again.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice that you were able to do this. I never thought about not being able to use a spare tire if you have a dually. What position would a spare on a dully be good for?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Nice that you were able to do this. I never thought about not being able to use a spare tire if you have a dually. What position would a spare on a dully be good for?
    I could have put the spare on, same size but a different brand and thread pattern. Kind of a pain to get it out from under the truck. The spare is a steel rim and all the outsides are Alcoa rims. It will fit on any position on the truck it just wont report to the TPMS system, no TPMS sensor. It was just as easy to plug the flat tire and put it back on and I can watch it on TPMS.

Oh, get yourself a good pair of knee pads/guards (harbor freight) . Kneeling down on gravel or hot asphalt/concrete, is murder on your knees.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-15-2022 at 07:23 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a former Flat-Rate mechanic, I would not have taken off the wheel. All of that could be done laying on your back. Beats screwing around with a jack, having the truck fall off the jack, screwing around with the lug nuts, and the worst part......putting all the tools back how the factory installed them.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post

Oh, get yourself a good pair of knee pads/guards (harbor freight) . Kneeling down on gravel or hot asphalt/concrete, is murder on your knees.
    This is why I have a knee pad in each bay (my laziness and easy access). And I also keep a small blue tarp too for situations like this.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A plug kit will save you tons of heartache on the road for emergencies. I'll plug a tire and never look back. I've never to this day had a plug leak after installing it. I use a Blackjack kit.

One thing I still don't understand is why in the fruit salad does OEM's not put TPMS on the spare tires? I'd be willing to say that almost none of you can say you regularly get under your trucks and check the pressure in your spares. It just doesn't make any sense to not have that option from the factory. Maybe the new trucks do, but I've yet to see one myself that does.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    A plug kit will save you tons of heartache on the road for emergencies. I'll plug a tire and never look back. I've never to this day had a plug leak after installing it. I use a Blackjack kit.

One thing I still don't understand is why in the fruit salad does OEM's not put TPMS on the spare tires? I'd be willing to say that almost none of you can say you regularly get under your trucks and check the pressure in your spares. It just doesn't make any sense to not have that option from the factory. Maybe the new trucks do, but I've yet to see one myself that does.
    Thanks! Just added the Blackjack to my wish list.
    2021 Imagine 2250rk
    2021 F150 Powerboost

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UGADawgs View Post
    Thanks! Just added the Blackjack to my wish list.
    What's even better is being able to find the hole without taking the tire off the truck. Just push a plug in it, add air, and drive away.

You can always take it to a tire shop and have them grind the backside of the plug off and put an actual patch on after you get done with your trip if you are so inclined to do so. Some won't trust a plug. Some tire shops won't patch a tire with a plug in them either. Lots of opinions. Like I say, I've never had one fail.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cost of the sensor and software is the reason why they do not put a TPMS sensor on the spare. The second reasons is most of the time, the sensors does not work unless they are 'woken up'. They turn on when the vehicle is driven [tires rotation]. The last time I checked, there is no rotation of a spare tire until it's installed. The cheap stuff that they sell aftermarket is not the same as the stuff OEM uses. BMW did use a spare tire sensor when they had spare tires. Most manufactures are dumping spare tires.

I can say 100% of my clients spare tires are all checked and the pressures adjusted during an oil service when I get done. 99% of the time when I first service the vehicle, the spare is too low to help you. 100% of the cars I have serviced in the past, are about 5-10% low due to pressure loss for the year.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    The cost of the sensor and software is the reason why they do not put a TPMS sensor on the spare. The second reasons is most of the time, the sensors does not work unless they are 'woken up'. They turn on when the vehicle is driven [tires rotation]. The last time I checked, there is no rotation of a spare tire until it's installed. The cheap stuff that they sell aftermarket is not the same as the stuff OEM uses. BMW did use a spare tire sensor when they had spare tires. Most manufactures are dumping spare tires.

I can say 100% of my clients spare tires are all checked and the pressures adjusted during an oil service when I get done. 99% of the time when I first service the vehicle, the spare is too low to help you. 100% of the cars I have serviced in the past, are about 5-10% low due to pressure loss for the year.
    That' makes sense. I never thought about the 'waking up' feature. Funny how the ones on my RV don't need woke up....but they are external where the battery can be replaced. Lots of engineering that cold be put into this to solve a problem....but the OEM's won't do it to save a buck.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast