User Tag List

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked these numbers up on the SKF website.

412920 CAR QUEST................ 22532 412920 NATL D AUTO SEAL.... 22532 412920 TIMKEN SEALS........... 22532 412920 CAR QUEST................ 22558 412920 NATL D AUTO SEAL.... 22558 412920 TIMKEN SEALS........... 22558

452920 NATL D AUTO SEAL.... 22558 452920 TIMKEN SEALS........... 22558

482920 NATL D AUTO SEAL.... 22558 482920 TIMKEN SEALS........... 22558

As Steve suggested, I am off to the local parts store to pick up a jack, jack stands, and grease. Just doing my part to keep the economy running!

Life is good!

Denis

scott42blue
    Quote Originally Posted by notnsuv View Post
    Scott,

Somewhere in the 133 I missed that you had installed the 412920 and it worked. I thought you only suggested they'd work so I spent the day reinventing the wheel as it were. I feel better that thise are the ones I chose to have on hand..even if they cost 3x.

Thanks!
    You get what you pay for. I don't like to tow without brakes and don't like to rebuild wheels. I also really dislike doing things twice, if it cost a few more bucks OK my time has some value.
    Scott

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. I pulled one wheel and the seal was leaking but no grease on the brake shoes. The ten million dollar question now is how the hell do you get the brake magnet to stay on while putting the drum back on? I'm stuck.
    2015 F350 CC 4x4 KR High Capacity Tow Package
    2014 Momentum 355TH #770
    2014 Yamaha Adventurer 2+2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should just sit there on it's slide mount.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I happen to notice grease on 1 of the wheels and after reading these posts pulled the hub and low and behold flooded with grease and 1 of the magnet wires was broke.
    Scott thank you for the info and research on part #s it made the job easier. Now that one wheel is done I am going to do the other 3.
    Again thanks scott!

notnsuv
    Just let my son-in-law (diesel mechanic) know we're getting a 5er. 1st thing he says is, "You going to pull the wheels and change seals & repack bearings?". I asked why he asked that and he tells me when he worked at a shop in Reno the biggest issue with RV owners when their units were new was blown seals, bad brakes, etc. So I've enlisted him to help me out with the project when the 303 shows up.

He also says there is a 'kit' with backing plate, etc. to make the brakes self-adjusting. That might have been mentioned here but my impression was that it required complete change of brakes. He says, no, just the kit with hardware. Will be looking into that and post search results. Might as well get it done right out of the chute so I can relax on the maiden voyage and not be swapping seals in camp when I could be on the creek catching dinner.

Brakes from etrailer:
    http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brak...er/23-459.html
    Should do the job, eh? Other options welcome but seems like a not too expensive mod for peace of mind and convenience. Since I'll have the assembly apart to R/R seals anyway.
    Last edited by notnsuv; 06-20-2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Add

scott42blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Specularius View Post
    Ok. I pulled one wheel and the seal was leaking but no grease on the brake shoes. The ten million dollar question now is how the hell do you get the brake magnet to stay on while putting the drum back on? I'm stuck.
    Specularius
    It is a special order clip. I can find the part number if you need it. Most people will not understand your post because the 8000 lb brake system is completely different. I used a zip tie on mine. Once the drum is installed the magnet cannot come lose.
    Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary can I hire your son-in-law to come do mine in Truckee..... lol
    Brian and Paula- Truckee, CA
    2015 Reflection 303
    2017 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummings Turbo, Aisin HD Transmission
    B&W Companion Slider, Firestone Air Bags, Compressor with wireless remote

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

notnsuv
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTrekker View Post
    Gary can I hire your son-in-law to come do mine in Truckee..... lol
    Actually, he grew up in Truckee and still has family there. Probably doubtful he'd volunteer though. I'm perfectly capable of doing my own but since the yunguns think they know better and that I'm too old to know squat, I let them think it and get 'help' whenever possible. Gawd, it's been a loooong time since I've done that..

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notnsuv View Post
    I'm perfectly capable of doing my own but since the yunguns think they know better and that I'm too old to know squat, I let them think it and get 'help' whenever possible. Gawd, it's been a loooong time since I've done that..
    Same here ! I keep my "antique" tools. In this box I found my brake adjusting tool (think it was my grandfather's) and my bearing packing tool. The seals in the grease gun are gone . . . will have to get a new one of these . Have you RV guys really been keeping these 50 year old manually adjusted drum brake designs alive for all these years ?? When was the last time you re-packed the bearings on your truck ????

So . . . I can get auto adjusting drum brake assemblies for a couple hundred dollars. Or . . . I can step up to disc brakes for about a thousand more . . . I am leaning towards the disc brake alternative. Time to bring my 5th up about 5 decades in brake evolution.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast