User Tag List

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the TR500s, the only difference between the 500s and the 501 is the length. The 500 is 1/2 inch longer than the 501.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Well we have now joined the ranks of having greasy brakes. When repacking the wheel bearings we found a tire with the steel showing. We now have 4 new sailun tires. I wanted to get new steel valve stems at the same time but the one's the tire shop had the washers were too big to fit in the hole in the wheel. After numerous calls to part stores, and a rv dealer no one had anything that would work. Does anyone know how others have gotten it done. When taking the hubs off 2 were real loose. One you could turn the castle nut 3 turns in by hand before it took out the play. After the first rally we took the trailer in to Lippert to have self adjusting brakes put on. 3 of the wheels the brakes looked good but you could see signs that the seals had leaked but was old. Probably from before we had the brakes changed. We did find a lot of little silver flakes on the cages of the bearings between the bearings. Metal shavings, so we are also replacing all of the bearings with the races. The last wheel that had the most play, the hub would move in and out by about 1/2 inch. From having that much play the grease was able to get by the seal and contaminant the shoes, enough so that we are now also replacing the brakes. The grease wasn't runny but it did appear to have to much grease applied.
    The hub that was the loosest was also the one that the tire had the belts that was coming apart (mentioned in Cate&Rob's tire thread in the Reflection general section)
    Holly Molly!!!!! That much play in the wheel bearings sure would lead to a disaster!!! You are very lucky you did avoid a disaster like the entire hub coming off. Lippert service..... this is a least the 2nd time on this site I have heard about very poor Lippert service. I pulled the hubs about 6 months ago myself and found seals on the passenger side leaking on my 2015 GD Reflection 5200lb axles. I cleaned the bearings, put new seals on all wheels and regreased the bearings. I have put on about 4,000 miles since that job and no problems so far. ***we are in Cape Breton Nova Scotia right now on a trip from Fort Myers Florida. I plan on pulling the hubs next week just to check everyting again before we start the trip back to Florida. I keep the PSI at 80 on the Westlake E rated tires and try to keep my speed at max of 65mph......but for very short periods I do hit 70 mph if I am passing something.... So far, so good with the Westlakes(but I check everything often). Thanks for the wonderful info on the valve stems......

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What amazes me on all this , is this work by Lippert was done following the first rally in 2014. We had taken 2 long trips (close to 13,000 miles) and a scoot to florida and back without loosing that wheel. It's mind blowing that somehow we did not become a statistic. Maybe we should go play the lottery!

Now I'm turning this post over to Gary...

Actualy it was somewhere from at least 3/8 to 1/2 inch, I didn't measure it. What it looks like to me is that when they packed the bearings they did not preseat them afterward. There was so much grease in there that after traveling down the road and they reseated on their own, it left that much play in there.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Actualy it was somewhesomewhere from at least 3/8 to 1/2 inch, I didn't measure it. What it looks like to me is that when they packed the bearings they did not preseat them afterward. There was so much grease in there that after traveling down the road and they preseated on their own, it left that much play in there.
    Gary...the wear you observed in the bearing/outer races will also give you some of the looseness though that would have to be a lot of wear to get that much looseness.

Dave
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes, glad that didn't go really bad! Makes you wonder who you can really trust.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Yikes, glad that didn't go really bad! Makes you wonder who you can really trust.
    Normally Gary would have done all that brake work himself. Initially we were going to bring home the brakes an install there ourselves. Then the sales girl at the rally mis quoted us $50 labor for all 4 , well we thought for 50 bucks they can do it. Guess we got what we paid for .

I really don't know for sure that Lippert did anything wrong. I'm thinking that when the trailer left the shop that everything felt fine. Some shops don't preseat the bearings. In that case though we should have been informed that the bearings should be readjusted after about 100 miles. Yes Dave I agree that with the little bit of play in the bearings and the wear on the races would have contributed to some of the play that was there.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Please let us know if the stems recommended by Colan, fit your rims.

Rob
    The stems recreccomended by colan do not fit the Reflection rims (we have the 16"). The rubber washer was to deep. The shop we got the tires at talked to their Meyer rep and had a couple to try, one worked but we don't have a stock # yet. We plan on talking to the shop this week, then and I'll edit the post to add that info
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I upgraded to Disc Brakes on my Momentum 395M TH. Sure glad I did! Braking has improved DRASTICALLY!
    Leaking seals is no longer an issue.
    I really think this is something that should be standard on any Trailer greater than 35' in Length... at least have as an option when purchasing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disc brakes 01.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	7898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disc brakes 02.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	7899

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fireguy42
    I'm picking up our 397th next week and figured the first improvement I make will be disc brakes and possible upgrading to 17.5 tires.
    Are you willing to share the cost and hassle level on your install of disc's?
    Appreciate anything you might share

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwf000 View Post
    Fireguy42
    I'm picking up our 397th next week and figured the first improvement I make will be disc brakes and possible upgrading to 17.5 tires.
    Are you willing to share the cost and hassle level on your install of disc's?
    Appreciate anything you might share
    If you're thinking of upgrading the brakes and the tires, you might also want to consider installing independent suspension or heavier axles at the same time.

Jim

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast