User Tag List

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=TucsonJim;108192]If you're thinking of upgrading the brakes and the tires, you might also want to consider installing independent suspension or heavier axles at the same time.

I was hoping the upgrade to the brakes and tires would be sufficient to eliminate the axle seal issue and greatly improve stopping ability at a relatively reasonable cost.
    I was assuming the factory axles were sufficient to handle the trailer effectively.
    I take from your suggestion you might not agree.
    I would certainly be interested in your thoughts and if you might have upgraded your axles.
    I appreciate any input.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Actually, you may be just fine, and I have nothing to base an upgrade on. But I have seen others with larger Momentums switch to MorRyde independent suspension and really liked the results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So why hasn’t this been recalled yet? Are they still having issues with these axles or have they corrected it?

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadandMel View Post
    So why hasn’t this been recalled yet? Are they still having issues with these axles or have they corrected it?
    1. Lippert changed their manufacturing techniques on 5/8/2017. No greasy brakes have been reported since that time and the date that GDRV changed suppliers.
    2. GDRV changed to Dexter axles and brakes in the July/August 2017 time frame. Since that time, I've heard of one leaking grease seal that was due to a tear in the seal. The brakes were not compromised.

If you own a trailer with axles manufactured prior to 5/8/17, I'd suggest removing the wheels and hubs and doing an inspection. If you purchase a trailer with Lippert axles manufactured after that date or equipped with Dexter axles, I'd save the inspection until the end of the first year when it is due as part of routine maintenance.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. Thanks Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still thinking about this. Shouldn’t lippert have issued a recall and taken care of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since owning our first GD but second fifth wheel, we have had both Lippert and Dexter axles. Both have had the seal issue! Plus there are a combination of issues here. Example our first fifth wheel was a Forest River Silverback that weighed as much as our GD Solitude 310. The Silver back had 6K Dexter axles, the Solitude has 7K Lippert axles. We had several issues with the Dexter axles, from leaking seals to lug nuts shearing off ( never over loaded trailer!). To fix Dexter seal issue went aftermarket and replaced all single wall to double wall seal. Dexter ended up replacing both our axles on the Silverback. I do think the industry as a whole needs better standards of mounting and sizing axles to their rigs. We love our GD but plan on upgrading to independent suspension and disk brakes.
    Another thing to take into consideration is the quality ( or Lack there of) of our road systems today. Most states have gotten horrible at maintaining their roads, lowest bidder mentality. I would suggest our politicians look into a European model of you pave the road and are responsible for repairs for next five years? May help with some of the tire, axle and Rig damage issues people are having.
    2018 Ford F 450 Platinum- White gold exterior Marsala interior w/ Reese 26.5K hitch
    2018 Solitude 310GK-R with dual pane windows, slide-out awning toppers, and heat pump options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram&Lab2 View Post
    Another thing to take into consideration is the quality ( or Lack there of) of our road systems today. Most states have gotten horrible at maintaining their roads, lowest bidder mentality. I would suggest our politicians look into a European model of you pave the road and are responsible for repairs for next five years? May help with some of the tire, axle and Rig damage issues people are having.
    I have a friend who works for Tennesse DOT. The problem with the European model you propose is the problem is much deeper. On TN highways the major culprit to the poor interstate conditions is the drainage systems are inadequate or falling apart. Most contractors would not sign up for that guarantee unless the infrastructure is upgraded first. Or a clause that releases them if it can be shown that the cause due to other than their workmanship, which is generally where we’re at now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 Ford F-250

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the process now of swapping my stock 5200# axles to 6k axle and spring upgrade. Also MoRyde equalizer and cross members to strengthen the spring hangers. Also going to disc hydraulic -electric brakes. So far, the project is going well. I am thinking ahead about my brake line installation and wondering where is the best place to attach - support the brake line. I know a bunch of guys have done this or had it done. Do you attach to the inside of frame under the corplast cover or other ? Any ideas would help. Reflection 303 rls.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deerislandbrew View Post
    I am in the process now of swapping my stock 5200# axles to 6k axle and spring upgrade. Also MoRyde equalizer and cross members to strengthen the spring hangers. Also going to disc hydraulic -electric brakes. So far, the project is going well. I am thinking ahead about my brake line installation and wondering where is the best place to attach - support the brake line. I know a bunch of guys have done this or had it done. Do you attach to the inside of frame under the corplast cover or other ? Any ideas would help. Reflection 303 rls.
    Did you do a complete axle swap or did you keep the axle tube/spindles and replace the hubs and use the larger 15123/15245 outer bearing/race set? Also, did you use a 4 leaf or 5 leaf spring pack for the 6K upgrade? I am looking at doing the same modification to my 28BH.

Thanks, Kevin
    Kevin and Jennifer
    2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Mega Cab CTD Aisin 4x4 SRW
    2019 Reflection 28BH (Built 2/2019)
    - 78" Theater Seat, Second AC, Dual Pane Windows
    - Sailun 235/85 R16 Tires
    Blue Ox Super Ride BXR7200 with a Demco Factory Prep Bracket 6099

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast