Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opening in underbelly

I was inspecting the underbelly of my Imagine 22RBE and found an open area that had previously been sealed with black silicon???
    I appears the membrane had been cut in several places to install or work on the grey and black tank lines and valve cables. Does anyone know if this is commonly done at the factory or was this a repair job?
    My thought was to put a few zip ties to hold the membrane together then recaulk. I think I should be using black silicon, right?

Thanks for any advice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belly.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	40664
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2021 Ford F‑150 XLT 3.5L V6 Hybrid 4WD SuperCrew Cab Factory Max tow package

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a hack repair job to me. Someone didn't want to take the time to drop the entire panel and just butchered it. $.02
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    Looks like a hack repair job to me. Someone didn't want to take the time to drop the entire panel and just butchered it. $.02
    I contacted Grand Design. Told me that is defiantly not a factory install. Someone cut probably to access the tank valves.
    His advice was to cut away a 48" strip of underbelly material in between crossmembers full width of the trailer and replace it. Screwing it onto the crossmembers. Also said I could cut some 3 sided access flaps into the underbelly material and cover them with a bigger patch of material that could be held on with automotive body screws (plastic)
    Sound like a pretty big job that I'm not sure I want to tackle right now.

If a patch of material is okay to put over a cutout "access flap" I think I might try putting a patch using plastic body screws over this cut after I recaulk the cut. Its about 12 inches long total so not a structural problem for the underbelly
    Last edited by FL-Guy; 05-16-2022 at 08:39 AM.
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being the retired Emergency Physician that I am, I decided to "suture" the wound.
    I removed to old sealant, poked a few small holes on either side of the cut area and threaded some 4" zip ties across the "wound" about 2" apart. I then squirted in some new RTV silicone sealer, cinched up the zip ties and put a generous coating of silicone over the top (bottom). Definitely stronger than the original repair using sealant only. I'll check on my patient after my next road trip see how that's holding up.
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it might be better to use some Skrim Tape rather than silicone or some other type of sealant.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I think it might be better to use some Skrim Tape rather than silicone or some other type of sealant.
    Do you know if that tape is good for the newer membrane underbelly material. Outer coating is like a very thin mesh material bonded to the board. Its not the plastic like coloroplast

I was thinking of maybe trying Flex Seal tape over my zip ties and silicone
    Last edited by FL-Guy; 05-16-2022 at 05:23 PM.
    Frank & Nadine
    2023 Imagine XLS 17MKE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skrim tape, as linked above, is excellent. Countless feedback suggest not to cut any more of the belly than necessary. At some point, we all need to get back in there to replace a black/grey valve.

• HERE is the black spray foam they use to seal around pipes
    • Best if you use THIS gun.

HTH, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by FL-Guy View Post
    Do you know if that tape is good for the newer membrane underbelly material. Outer coating is like a very thin mesh material bonded to the board. Its not the plastic like coloroplast

2024 Brinkley z2900
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2022 GD 2970RL (Sold, 2023-Oct)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold. 2022-May)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FL-Guy View Post

I have coroplast and not familiar with your product. But if Flex Seal Seal will work then the Scrim tape should work OK. But it might be less expensive to use the Flex Seal, or maybe even Gorilla Tape (although Gorilla Tape hasn't worked that well for me.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar thing happen. Brand new unit. Picked it up from the dealer. Drove the 90 miles home and only noticed when I got home. There was something dangling under the trailer. Got underneath and saw someone cut the coroplast and did a junk job trying to tape it up. Called the dealer and asked what happened. Said someone must have needed to access the unit and cut a flap. I ended up taking 5" wide black gorilla tape and sealing it off. It's held up perfectly for the last 4.75 years thru hot and humid summers and bone chilling MN winters. Attached is the picture as I found it. Laying under the unit, looking up and the poor tape job dangling at the right side of the picture.

Name:	20170923_123859.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	40696
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonl78 View Post
    I had a similar thing happen. Brand new unit. Picked it up from the dealer. Drove the 90 miles home and only noticed when I got home. There was something dangling under the trailer. Got underneath and saw someone cut the coroplast and did a junk job trying to tape it up. Called the dealer and asked what happened. Said someone must have needed to access the unit and cut a flap. I ended up taking 5" wide black gorilla tape and sealing it off. It's held up perfectly for the last 4.75 years thru hot and humid summers and bone chilling MN winters. Attached is the picture as I found it. Laying under the unit, looking up and the poor tape job dangling at the right side of the picture.

Name:	20170923_123859.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	40696
    My membrane is different than coroplast. It has a "fuzzy" feel to the outer surface more like a very thin fabric, not plastic like the coroplast. Here is a link to the product https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...s/detail/58392. From reading other posts it looks like GD may have switched to this underbelly material last year.
    I don't know which tape would stick on that. Looks like maybe the Scrim tape mentioned by traveldawg.
    I think those zip tie sutures will be stronger than any tape I could put under there. If the silicone starts to come off, I'll try taking it all out and using tape over the zip ties

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast