User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Converter wiring question

I'm installing Multiplus 2 3000 in Reflction 337RLS in front bay. Will not fit in pass through.
    I had replaced converter last year to lithium converter.
    The two wires leaving the converter are not same color as what's in front bay where batteries are. My question is does anyone know if they go directly to batteries/ maybe different color wire where disconnect switch is or is it powering something before going to batteries, which I think would be odd.
    Not sure if I should just tie off those 2 wires. Trying to trace them in a tight space of cob web wiring job is tough.
    There is a circuit board see my photo also which I'm not sure how it's powered.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220420_134030.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	40665Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220420_134024.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	40666

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KDRunner View Post
    I'm installing Multiplus 2 3000 in Reflction 337RLS in front bay. Will not fit in pass through.
    I had replaced converter last year to lithium converter.
    The two wires leaving the converter are not same color as what's in front bay where batteries are. My question is does anyone know if they go directly to batteries/ maybe different color wire where disconnect switch is or is it powering something before going to batteries, which I think would be odd.
    Not sure if I should just tie off those 2 wires. Trying to trace them in a tight space of cob web wiring job is tough.
    There is a circuit board see my photo also which I'm not sure how it's powered.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220420_134030.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	40665Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220420_134024.jpg 
Views:	42 
ID:	40666

On our 2018 Solitude (your mileage may vary - the wiring is NOT consistent) the converter goes to the distribution (fuse) panel, then to the disconnect , then to the battery.

I believe the circuit board you show is the relay/switch board for the Lippert OneConnect (or whatever version they used in your trailer). This is for your control panel and phone app to control lights, slide outs, tank levels, etc. This has nothing to do with the converter.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris.
    That makes sense. I was wondering if it went to panel.
    So if I'm thinking correctly here. I should be able to just tie off those two wires. The wire from panel to shut off switch to batteries I should connect to my lynx distributer which will be off my batteries bank. Does this sound correct? I marked two wires on diagram .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220516_145443.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	40667

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris.
    So if I'm thinking correctly here. I should be able to just tie off those two wires. The wire from panel to shut off switch to batteries I should connect to my lynx distributer which will be off my batteries bank. Does this sound correct? I marked two wires on diagram .Click image for larger version. 

I would verify ALL wiring. Again, Grand Design (and RVs in general) are notoriously inconsistent in how the trailers are wired up. That being said, yes you should be able to "tie-off" the factory wiring to the converter if you are not going to use it. You need to make sure you still have a path to feed the panel. Personally, I would pull the unused wires out of the panel and tie-off both ends, but leave them in place in case you ever want to revert back or use them for something else. I do not like leaving energized wires that do nothing even if the are tied-off at the converter end (or maybe I misunderstood what you intend to do).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chris.

The two wires you indicated will feed the 12v devices attached to the bus bar, however they will not feed your main 12v Power Center for the whole coach.

You need to ensure that you have a heavy gauge wire that feeds your power center (mine was 6awg). In theory, wires coming from your converter were also tied to heavy gauge wires that charged up your battery. The key in your install is to ensure that you have heavy gauge wires feeding your 12v Power Center. Your Victron Inverter/Charger will provide the charge for the batteries, you just need to ensure you have heavy enough gauge wire feeding your 12v Power Center.

In my case, I was able to simply connect directly into the Converter wiring and avoid the issue entirely (because I have a 24v system, I connected the 24v to 12v DC to DC converter into the same wires as the old Converter, which supplied 12v Power to my entire coach).
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, my intentions were to disconnect at both ends. I have 6awg wires in from factory. Why I was wondering if the ones that went to my original battery went right to power center panel. If so, I should be good with that. I'll have to try to make sure some how that's where it's going and coming from. I already put in 4 battleborn last fall
    All wired with 4/0. Temporary install. My plan was to move them under pass-through where heated and have multiplus by it. Now I have to put multiplus in front bay due to the length of it. So now that's to far for my batteries. Now either leave them in front (no heat in there though) live in northern Ohio we do cold camping. I'm thinking now of just moving them on the other side of the wall in pass through. Would only need hole for the two battery cables.
    Anyone know what the wall is made of between pass through and front? Seems flimsy. Metal panel on bottom and frame at the top, maybe attach wood panel at top and bottom to metal framing and mount to that. Boy did I have to change my game plan here. Watched and looked at so many installs not realizing Reflection is shorter in pass-through.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220516_160246.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	40669

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just pulled out DC panel. Looks like what you said. Converter wires coming in and going out. I'll pull disconnect switch off to see if wire changes color there because there's a black and white wire but black and red by batteries.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved batteries to the other side of the wall so they will be inside during freezing weather. Putting them by stairs area would have been too long of a run from the Multiplus 2. Next job to start on Multiplus setup in front bay.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220518_093306.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	40702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220518_093312.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	40703

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was last modification.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220518_173916.jpg 
Views:	13 
ID:	40704