Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do watch the weather and position my Predator where the breeze will take the exhaust away. But anywhere we place the generator it is pretty darn quiet in the RV. I keep mine stored in our pickup bed with a Retrax cover. When we start hitting up Harvest Host spots it will stay in the bed and I will wire it into the RV.
    Randy and Kris

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaostactics View Post
    I mean in theory it's supposed to be a very quiet generator (the Predator 3500) and it's at the opposite end from the bedroom. Wouldn't that negate the noise? I'm not being obstinate with the reply, just trying to learn.
    The one in the picture is mounted to the tongue. 2150RB has the headboard on the inside of the front cap, right?
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    The one in the picture is mounted to the tongue. 2150RB has the headboard on the inside of the front cap, right?
    Yep... I'm an idiot. That's what I get for making plans when I don't have the trailer yet. I really really really want to get as much stuff ironed out before I pick up so I can pretty much take off right away.

I'm still debating bumper carry vs that over the tongue carrier for a couple of gas cans or a gas can plus propane. Being that the furnace runs on propane and not electric I may be better served by 1 gas and 1 propane? And moving the generators inside the pass through. Or carrying the generators on an over tongue rack and gas/propane, one each probably on the bumper so as not to over weight the bumper.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep... I'm an idiot. That's what I get for making plans when I don't have the trailer yet. I really really really want to get as much stuff ironed out before I pick up so I can pretty much take off right away.

I'm still debating bumper carry vs that over the tongue carrier for a couple of gas cans or a gas can plus propane. Being that the furnace runs on propane and not electric I may be better served by 1 gas and 1 propane? And moving the generators inside the pass through. Or carrying the generators on an over tongue rack and gas/propane, one each probably on the bumper so as not to over weight the bumper.
    Another option to consider: you can pretty easily have a 2" receiver hitch setup welded to your trailer frame that would support a few hundred pounds of weight. Personally, given your use case, that's the way I'd go. You wouldn't have to worry about the bumper strength since the bumper wouldn't be supporting the weight.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You DO NOT want to attach anything to an RV bumper. If the trailer does not have a frame-mounted hitch receiver already, have one installed.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit confused about the whole not mounting stuff to a bumper. I understand it can be problematic for non frame welded bumpers however. I think the bumpers are rated to 150 lbs.

All Id want to mount* would be a 5 gallon gas can ~31 lbs and 4.5 gal LP tank ~37lbs. So well under the 150 lbs rating.

I think the mounts are around 10 lbs a piece. Call it 30 lbs for 3 mounts.

*And maybe an empty black water transport. Another 30 lbs.

Still leaves me at 130 lbs or less.

I would get the mounts that put the cans on top of the bumper rather than cantilevered off the back of the bumper.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit confused about the whole not mounting stuff to a bumper. I understand it can be problematic for non frame welded bumpers however. I think the bumpers are rated to 150 lbs.

All Id want to mount* would be a 5 gallon gas can ~31 lbs and 4.5 gal LP tank ~37lbs. So well under the 150 lbs rating.

I think the mounts are around 10 lbs a piece. Call it 30 lbs for 3 mounts.

*And maybe an empty black water transport. Another 30 lbs.

Still leaves me at 130 lbs or less.

I would get the mounts that put the cans on top of the bumper rather than cantilevered off the back of the bumper.
    Don't believe it. You're talking torsional forces when you mount a cargo tray via bumper mounts (when you see a spare tire mounted on a bumper, it's usually directly above the bumper - not behind it). It will twist the bumper right off at the welds. Those bumpers are adequate for storing stinky slinkies and that's about it.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also considering the https://www.campingworld.com/trailer...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Maybe do that for the gas and LP and only put the black water carrier on the bumper.

It's about the same price as a frame mount hitch receiver and seems more practical for load balancing. Move the generators inside the pass through cargo and just don't put anything in there that would absorb gas smell. Hopefully capped with the generator tanks drained I wouldn't end up with much gas smell anyway.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also considering the https://www.campingworld.com/trailer...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Maybe do that for the gas and LP and only put the black water carrier on the bumper.

It's about the same price as a frame mount hitch receiver and seems more practical for load balancing. Move the generators inside the pass through cargo and just don't put anything in there that would absorb gas smell. Hopefully capped with the generator tanks drained I wouldn't end up with much gas smell anyway.
    Much better idea.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Much better idea.

Rob
    Awesome, thanks for the experienced input. Going from no RV to full time RV, even if less than a year, is daunting. I appreciate you veteran RVers helping out a newbie.

Speaking of veterans, thank you for your service.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast