Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions on: generator use, storage and extra propane/gas storage, and bumper carry

I am new to having "my own" RV. I am planning on full timing for 4-6 months maybe a bit longer. I'll be using a GD 2150RB.

I am wanting the ability to do some boondocking* and "I am AC dependent", i.e. I cant sleep at any higher temp than about 70 deg, and I'll have a dog so in general I need to have a temp of about 75 or below.

I've been looking at generators, a lot. I can't afford the Hondas but Generac and WEN seem to have good price to value ratio.
    The one I think I'm most interested in, is the WEN 56235i 2350-Watt (1900 continuous) Portable Inverter Generator, its 39 lbs, and has 2 "regular" AC outlets.

I am considering carrying it on a Stromberg Carlson Trailer Tray A-Frame Cargo Carrier, or carrying an extra gas can and/or propane tank on it. Additionally, I was considering a rear bumper carrier for fuel/propane and two bikes. I think the bumper is rated to 150#. I was thinking a gas can or two and/or propane on a 4" bumper mount carrier on one side of the spare as close to center as possible and the bikes on the other side.

So questions are:
    1. Is the Carlson Carrier a good idea? I'm trying to avoid fuel storage inside the passthrough.
    2. What would be better on the Carlson carrier, generator or fuels?
    3. Is the bumper carrier a good idea?
    4. What would be better on the bumper carrier, generator or fuels?
    5. Is it possible to have the generator draw gas supply from a fuel can the same way you can with a job site generator used for home power loss emergencies?
    6. Am I correct in understanding you can connect a "standard" 120 VAC outlet to the shore power receptacle of the trailer by using a heavy duty ext cord and a dog bone adapter?
    7. If yes to above can you put an inline surge protector in somewhere between the generator and the shore power receptacle? / Or should I just trust the generator power output.
    6. What else should I consider?

*3-5 days at a time probably.

TIA.

Pic of Carrier
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stromber Hitch mount carrier.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	40668

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaostactics View Post

So questions are:
    1. Is the Carlson Carrier a good idea? I'm trying to avoid fuel storage inside the passthrough.
    Looks like it would work well, ease of access to the propane for bottle change out would be my only concern.

2. What would be better on the Carlson carrier, generator or fuels?
    3. Is the bumper carrier a good idea?
    4. What would be better on the bumper carrier, generator or fuels?
    Personally I would never hang anything from these bumpers without some reinforcement. Other may have a different view, I just think they are too flimsy

5. Is it possible to have the generator draw gas supply from a fuel can the same way you can with a job site generator used for home power loss emergencies?
    Not easily, the only ones that will "draw" fuel are ones with a fuel pump. Honda's I believe have them, maybe Yamaha. I had a pair of 2500 watt westinghouse units that I tried to hook up an extended run tank too and I could never get it to work. I was a major PITA. Even with two units splitting the load they would not make it all night on a tank of fuel

6. Am I correct in understanding you can connect a "standard" 120 VAC outlet to the shore power receptacle of the trailer by using a heavy duty ext cord and a dog bone adapter?
    Should work, just make sure the ext cord is rated high enough

7. If yes to above can you put an inline surge protector in somewhere between the generator and the shore power receptacle? / Or should I just trust the generator power output.
    I don't think that's necessary

6. What else should I consider?
    Using an AC, you will be on the bleeding edge of what that generator will handle. You may need a soft start on the AC if you don't already have one. The starting surge from the AC may trip the breaker on the geney.

If it is staying mounted and the rack can handle it I would step up to the DF400. These geney's are not quiet when they are at full output, they only give the 25% decibel ratings. That changes dramatically when closer to full output. The larger one will probably run quieter under an AC load, you'll have more reserve power capacity, a bigger fuel tank and the option of running it off propane. It has a 30 amp rv plug on it. It will probably cost less than the smaller one + a soft start for the AC.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to having "my own" RV. I am planning on full timing for 4-6 months maybe a bit longer. I'll be using a GD 2150RB.

I am wanting the ability to do some boondocking* and "I am AC dependent", i.e. I cant sleep at any higher temp than about 70 deg, and I'll have a dog so in general I need to have a temp of about 75 or below.

I've been looking at generators, a lot. I can't afford the Hondas but Generac and WEN seem to have good price to value ratio.
    The one I think I'm most interested in, is the WEN 56235i 2350-Watt (1900 continuous) Portable Inverter Generator, its 39 lbs, and has 2 "regular" AC outlets.

The only thing I'd be asking is "how loud are these?" It's really annoying to be boondocking (in a nice quiet area) and have a really noisy generator start up and run for hours.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That generator has a 79cc engine. The Honda EU2200i has a 121cc engine. Yet the Wen is rated for more power. For nearly continuous use, the Honda may be the cheaper option.

Another consideration is running your converter. Lights and the air conditioner use 12V power. The generator has to run the converter as well to recharge the battery which may add up to about 8A to the load. Since you only have 15.8A from the generator, you’ll have to turn the air conditioner off for several hours a day to keep the battery charged. Because of this, you may be happier with a larger generator. The Predator 3500 is a popular choice.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Predator 3500 inverter gen and it is a champ. We ran it at Freeport Beach TX for 70 hours straight and barely used 5 gallons of gas. That was early spring and we never ran the AC. I have used the AC with it and it handles our 30 amp MLE just fine. It is extremely quiet and we never heard it at night sleeping. I waited for Harbor Freight to have a 20% off everything, then got an additional 5% off for becoming and inside track club member for $24.

A generator will not accept a surge arrest or unless you add a neutral to ground tie in plug. Our Power Dog kept missing an earth ground and would not activate. All good now. The 70 hours we did not use the Power Dog.

Good luck.
    Randy and Kris

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can a generator stay mounted there and still be safe re: CO issues?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can a generator stay mounted there and still be safe re: CO issues?

Generators can now be equipped with CO safety devices so they shut down if it builds up. There is a version of the Predator 3500 equipped with such a device. This is a supplement to your internal CO alarm. Any generator use, even by a neighboring camper, can cause elevated CO in your rig.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That pic shows a pretty heavy generator mounted to the carrier. I wouldn't imagine you'd run it while it was in the rack and expect to sleep much.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    That pic shows a pretty heavy generator mounted to the carrier. I wouldn't imagine you'd run it while it was in the rack and expect to sleep much.
    That might be able to replace my white noise machine I use to drown out the ringing in my ears. [emoji23]
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean in theory it's supposed to be a very quiet generator (the Predator 3500) and it's at the opposite end from the bedroom. Wouldn't that negate the noise? I'm not being obstinate with the reply, just trying to learn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast