User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three way fridge

I just don’t understand why GD doesn’t install 3 way fridge. A little propane goes a long way compared to solar.

Quote Originally Posted by NDIrishLacrosse View Post
    Hello,

I tried searching all over the forum but cannot quite get an answer to what I am looking for. I am also have no sense in electricity and watts/amps/volts etc just boggle my mind.

I traded in by Imagine 2400BH and took in a 2022 2910BH. It came with the stock Furrion 165 watt solar panel, 25 amp charger controller, and the Furrion 12V refrigerator. As best as I can tell, the purpose of the panel is to assist that refrigerator along during travel days. From Furrion's website, the fridge draws 1.08 kWh per day.

The other day, I attempted to see how long the fridge/solar/battery would last while in storage and without any other draws. I set the fridge to the boondock settings and measured with a multimeter a couple times per day. All of the days we had full sun; location is the midwest so its got sun from at least 7:00am-7:30pm right now.

Battery was showing 12.4-12.6 volts on day 1 and 2 both in the morning and night; fridge was keeping cool. It was very hot outside though (90-95 degree days). The morning of Day 3 the fridge was found to be completely off (no power at all, including lights) with the likely cause being a failure in the glass bulb inline fuse.

So, can the Furrion charger even support the refrigerator? Obviously there were no other draws such as lights, pump, etc. I wonder if the failure occurred because the fridge was trying to draw so much power at night, particularly with it being so hot.

Anyone have thoughts or experience with this? Any insight is appreciated!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Proud7191 View Post
    I just don’t understand why GD doesn’t install 3 way fridge. A little propane goes a long way compared to solar.
    Not too many 3-way fridges anymore that I've seen available.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    It's not that simple.
    Both panels will operate at the lowest voltage. By choosing a panel that most closely matches your present panels voltage, you can minimize the wattage loss.

This is a good read on this.

https://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/
    Thanks for the link to the article. Was a great read for my current knowledge.

From that I now feel pretty good I can save $400+ with buying a 175watt renogy panel over the furrion. The 175 is very close in its specs to the furrion.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigs85 View Post

From that I now feel pretty good I can save $400+ with buying a 175watt renogy panel over the furrion. The 175 is very close in its specs to the furrion.
    What brand is your controler, and what are it's specs?On edit: I see that your controller is a Furion with a 300 watt max.
    This could cause an issue with over paneling it. The better controllers such as Victron are OK with it, but my Jaboni was not.
    I think the Jaboni and Furrion are in the same class. What happened with my Jaboni is that when it got peak sunlight, it would go into float, no matter how low the batteries were. If you go with that 175 watt panel, watch for this. Nothing worse than seeing your controller go into float when should be in bulk cranking out the amps.
    Last edited by huntindog; 11-30-2022 at 03:00 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a good plan. They'll both operate at about the level of the Furrion stock panel. (from the article "For parallel connection – the same voltage rating of the panels is more important.") I haven't checked the Renogy but if it is the same voltage rating as the Furrion you should be fine. What do you have for connectors on the roof? Mine came with a proprietary connector instead of the industry standard MC4 connectors. I'm planning on a solar upgrade this spring, I'll either install new cables or cut the proprietary connectors off and replace them with MC4s. Your charge controller will be maxed out, but it is probably pretty rare for both panels to be putting out their theoretical maximum power in Canada.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Nothing worse than seeing your controller go into float when should be in bulk cranking out the amps.
    It seems unlikely that any of the Jabonis could handle the capacity you have.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    It seems unlikely that any of the Jabonis could handle the capacity you have.
    I did not have this capacity then. I learned a lot on my journey to what I now have. I could have saved some money if I knew then what I know now.
    You can search my past posts here, as I talked about here as it happened. You will see an evolution of my thinking as I experienced what did not work.

OTOH, If what I started out to do, (just add some wattage to my factory system) had worked as planned, I likely would have stopped right there. But as I was forced to upgrade the controller to make my added wattage work, it was a case of I might as well go big.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you guys go ahead and add a panel to your stock controllers and find it in float when the batteries are low...You can check to see if you have too much panel for the controller by shading some of the panel with cardboard. That is what i did, and I found that I was better off with that setup covering some panel during peak sun. Obviously that got old fast. By my next outing the serious upgrading was underway.
    Last edited by huntindog; 12-01-2022 at 04:18 AM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Sounds like a good plan. They'll both operate at about the level of the Furrion stock panel. (from the article "For parallel connection – the same voltage rating of the panels is more important.") I haven't checked the Renogy but if it is the same voltage rating as the Furrion you should be fine. What do you have for connectors on the roof? Mine came with a proprietary connector instead of the industry standard MC4 connectors. I'm planning on a solar upgrade this spring, I'll either install new cables or cut the proprietary connectors off and replace them with MC4s. Your charge controller will be maxed out, but it is probably pretty rare for both panels to be putting out their theoretical maximum power in Canada.
    you are right I believe on the connectors(My unit is at indoor storage hours away from my home so wont be checking that until spring) I will plan to change the connectors over to MC4's as that looks pretty straight forward.

I do worry about going over my charge controller but if that becomes the issue then it gets replaced with something nicer and I will sell the furrion 25 off. Where the trailer will sit during the summer between camping trips is wide open. We don't get a lot of rain or cloud cover in the Southwest of Saskatchewan, so getting a lot of high volume sun days is a real possibility for me.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are right I believe on the connectors(My unit is at indoor storage hours away from my home so wont be checking that until spring) I will plan to change the connectors over to MC4's as that looks pretty straight forward.

I do worry about going over my charge controller but if that becomes the issue then it gets replaced with something nicer and I will sell the furrion 25 off. Where the trailer will sit during the summer between camping trips is wide open. We don't get a lot of rain or cloud cover in the Southwest of Saskatchewan, so getting a lot of high volume sun days is a real possibility for me.
    My Jaboni did not live long. Over paneling a controller that cannot accept it can be it's demise,
    Part of my journey to what I have now involved putting The Jaboni and it's single panel back to stock, and buying a Victron for the new panels. The next outing it died.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456