Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane tank mounting/unmounting (and gas storage) on 2150RB

I'm interested in the Predator 3500 generator and mounting it on a A frame cargo carrier.
    Link:
    https://www.campingworld.com/trailer...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

This would be a semi-permanent mount, i.e. I wouldn't be pulling it on and off frequently as it weighs 100 pounds.

1. Would I still be able to bolt and unbolt the LP tanks for filling with the cargo carrier in place.
    2. On a travel trailer like the 2150 RB where do you carry a gas can or two? Bumper mount jerry can(s)?
    3. Anything else to consider?
    4. Alternatively I could run parallel generators like the WEN 2350-Watt ones but it would be more expensive, they're manual start, and they don't have a shore power hook-up. Also I'm not sure if two would fit on the cargo rack.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry my generator, grill, 20# propane (in a milk crate), and fuel jug in the bed of my truck.
    2019 2970RL
    2020 F250

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaostactics View Post
    I'm interested in the Predator 3500 generator and mounting it on a A frame cargo carrier.
    Link:
    https://www.campingworld.com/trailer...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

3. Anything else to consider?
    You don't have your trailer or tow vehicle listed. Can you safely add 160 lbs to your hitch weight (100 lb generator and 63 lb rack)?
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tow vehicle is a 2020 Tahoe with the tow package. I've also reevaluated and am planning to go with two smaller generators stored in the pass through and use the rack to only carry a propane tank and gas can.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked hard at that rack when I bought my first trailer. Ultimately went with a back bumper-mount shelf for my 3kw generator (used special bumper mounted arms and a DIY heavy duty but lightweight shelf so the generator was mounted very close to the bumper). I only ended up using the generator a few times in five years. Found that my camping style is more campground than boondock and I pretty much always have power available.

I chose not to use the rack for two reasons:
    1) Mounting and unmounting the propane tanks looked ... nearly impossible.
    2) Getting the generator on top of the rack would be a challenge. Then filling it with gas when necessary would require a ladder (I'm ... not tall).

Sounds like you found a solution that's going to work for you. Let us know if the rack impedes the tank access ... I could still see it being useful!
    -Pam
    2019 GD Imagine 2600RB bought in 2022.
    towed by a 2019 Nissan NV 3500 Passenger van
    prior trailer: 2017 Coleman CTS16FB towed by a 2012 Kia Sedona, then the 2019 NV.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Predator 3500 resides in the bed of my truck. I can run it from there or I can take it to ground level. I have plenty of cable to get to the rear of the MLE. It is hidden under a Retrax bed cover. I carry 5 gallons of gas on the rack mounted to the Retrax.
    Randy and Kris