User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F-150 and Turning Point

I just took possession of my long awaited 2022 Ford F-150 with a 6.5ft bed. I have a 2020 290BH with the turning pin box, an used the pivot feature with my old truck (2019 F250 with 6.5ft bed). I'm just wondering if anyone out there has this set up and doesn't use the pivot feature on the trailer, and lets the trailer pivot on their hitch without any issues with touching the cab.

The reason I'm thinking I may be able to not use the turning point anymore, is that because the F-150 bed is so much lower than my 250, the corners of the trailer will be that much further from the cab of my truck and not pose a risk of contact. And no, I do not have or wish to buy a slider hitch.

Any pictures, advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat 3.5L ecoboost
    B&W Patriot 15K
    Timbren Bump Stops
    2020 GD Reflection 290BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No experience yet but I’m picking up my 278BH on Friday. I’m hoping there’s at least as much clearance as with my current trailer. I’ve never needed to slide the hitch.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamiltonian View Post
    I just took possession of my long awaited 2022 Ford F-150 with a 6.5ft bed. I have a 2020 290BH with the turning pin box, an used the pivot feature with my old truck (2019 F250 with 6.5ft bed). I'm just wondering if anyone out there has this set up and doesn't use the pivot feature on the trailer, and lets the trailer pivot on their hitch without any issues with touching the cab.

The reason I'm thinking I may be able to not use the turning point anymore, is that because the F-150 bed is so much lower than my 250, the corners of the trailer will be that much further from the cab of my truck and not pose a risk of contact. And no, I do not have or wish to buy a slider hitch.

While I can't offer any advice for your question, I can recommend you visit the https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/whats-new/posts/ forum if you haven't.
    2021 Imagine 2250rk
    2021 F150 Powerboost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamiltonian View Post

I started with the the F150 and upgradesd to F250, you will need to use the Turning Point Hitch, some will say they you can get away without it, but i would not take the chance.
    Not sure why you would downgrade to F150, but I went the other direction to a F250 and i am very happy with the decision.
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dutifully bought the slider hitch 21 years ago because everyone said I needed it with a short bed (6.5’), and I’ve *never* used it. I just watch the trailer swing and stop before it hits the cab.
    Last edited by Easycamper; 05-18-2022 at 01:33 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up the 278BH yesterday. There is at least as much clearance as with my last trailer. It was actually amazing how closely it matched up. No adjustments needed and everything is nice and level. I think I’m looking at another 10 years or so without using the slider hitch or the Turning Point with my 2015 F-150 with 6.5-foot bed.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”