Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pin box upgrade on a Reflection 226RK

I'm curious if anyone has upgraded the pin box on a Reflection 226RK? I have a short bed 2000 F350 dually, with a Demco sliding hitch. We went to pick up our brand new fifth wheel tonight and discovered the Curt Turning Point pin box won't work on the demco because of the triangle shape of the pin box. Basically, the demco pinch bars come about 2 inches short of reaching the pin box. Apparently, Curt has a wedge to use with the Demco hitch, but I don't want to do that. So my question is, has anyone jumped up to a Moryde or Trail Air pin box? And if so, got a part number?

Thanks,

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supposedly, the Morryde, turning point replacement, pinbox is a good fit with similar size specs to the Lippert. Several have made the switch as well. However, Morryde has discontinued selling it and is hard to find any left on the market.

The other issue is that Grand Design and Lippert both told me that any frame related warranty issues may not be honored if using a different other than OEM pinbox. Would be nice to hear some who have changed chime in on frame warranty experience.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    The other issue is that Grand Design and Lippert both told me that any frame related warranty issues may not be honored if using a different other than OEM pinbox. Would be nice to hear some who have changed chime in on frame warranty experience.
    They really should have options, not all tow rigs are the same. Ah well, I guess I'm going to find out.
    April and Garland
    2022 Refection 150 226RK
    2000 F350 7.3 Dually

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... The other issue is that Grand Design and Lippert both told me that any frame related warranty issues may not be honored if using a different other than OEM pinbox. Would be nice to hear some who have changed chime in on frame warranty experience.
    This topic has been discussed exhaustively on this and other forums. Legally, LCI would have to prove that a hitch or pinbox change was the cause of any frame or chassis issues in order to deny a warranty claim. Their stance on this is largely business and financially based; gooseneck adapters (a bad idea for fifth wheel RVs because of torsional forces and front frame design) are a no-go for LCI with the exception of the Reese Goose Box... you guessed it, LCI has a business relationship with Reese.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And for anyone else who stumbles across this:

according to eTrailer:

I went ahead and provided your serial number information to my tech at Lippert, and he confirmed that the Turning Point is a proprietary pinbox model and comes with its own individualized bolt pattern. With that fact, there are unfortunately no replacement pinboxes that are compatible with your trailer.

The dealer I bought the trailer from confirms.

I'm sure this has to do with it being "half-ton" towable, which is a joke. Had I known about this, I wouldn't have bought this trailer.
    April and Garland
    2022 Refection 150 226RK
    2000 F350 7.3 Dually

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 99% sure that Demco has an adapter plate that goes onto the Turning Point hitch to give it a square profile.

Look up "Demco 6335" .

There's always a way........
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRvCouple View Post
    And for anyone else who stumbles across this:

according to eTrailer:

I went ahead and provided your serial number information to my tech at Lippert, and he confirmed that the Turning Point is a proprietary pinbox model and comes with its own individualized bolt pattern. With that fact, there are unfortunately no replacement pinboxes that are compatible with your trailer.

The dealer I bought the trailer from confirms.

I'm sure this has to do with it being "half-ton" towable, which is a joke. Had I known about this, I wouldn't have bought this trailer.
    However, eTrailer had a tech at one time provide a diagram of the Lippert TP and Morryde and it did match up to the bolt pattern of the Morryde like pinbox. Only issue I saw was the width was off, if I recall, by 1/4 inch.

Infact, in a conversation wirh Morryde, they did say they had done this conversion in the past for folks with the Turning Point.
    Jim and Annette
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    I'm 99% sure that Demco has an adapter plate that goes onto the Turning Point hitch to give it a square profile.

Look up "Demco 6335" .

There's always a way........
    Are you aware of any warranty related work or issues that was approved doing this swap?
    Jim and Annette
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you aware of any warranty related work or issues that was approved doing this swap?
    It's not a swap. It's an adapter plate to make the king pin work with the Demco auto slide hitch.

Nothing changes or is altered, the plate attaches to make it square to fit the head of the hitch.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I got the wrong pinbox. You would have to use the "Demco 6285" wedge to make it work on the Turning Point.

I was thinking about the new Rhino pinboxes that are coming on Solitude S Series and Momentums.
    [email protected]
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast