User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had one travel trailer and three fivers. Travel trailer sways more in the wind. Harder to hook up- EQ type hitch..
    Cramped and I don't like the low ceiling height. Fivers feel roomy and more like home
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for setting me straight, I do love how great it tows

Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Having had both, I would not go back. Permanent or long-term, say on a seasonal site, would be a different story. Then the one-level floorplan would be nice. But for travel, not so much.

Rob

Edit/PS: then there's the difference in how easy it is to hitch up a fifth wheel vs. a heavy weight distribution hitch with bars, etc.
    I agree. I went from a 5ver to a travel trailer and wished I hadn't . The 5ver was much more stable in the wind but what I really miss is the ample storage and living space. I can't justify the expense of going back to the 5ver as I'm not fulltiming anymore but I do wish that I still had it.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched from 5th wheel to travel trailer because I got sick of not being able to use the truck bed. Truck bed storage means a lot to me. And I actually find backing it into a spot easier than the fifth wheel. You just need to have an equalizer hitch (which I disconnect before backing into a tight camp spot). My wife has bad knees and the two level stuff was tough on her too.

A guy at the dealer showed me the trick to getting the equalizer bars on and off too. Forget about using the pry bar lever that comes with the hitch. With the trailer on the ball and locked, raise it with the power tongue until it takes the pressure off and there is enough room to easily take the bars off (or put them on) by hand. Since he showed me that , I've never had to use that pry bar lever.
    Last edited by hartcentr; 05-21-2022 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We had to switch down after my old 5er delaminated, and truck wouldn't handle the weight gain that all then new models had experienced. The current trailer is VERY similar in floor space, storage, etc. But to get that, we have several more feet back from the truck, so camp sites we could squeeze into before, aren't possible anymore. There is more involved to get a good towing experience (weight distribution, the correct hitch, etc.) Surprising to me was the big drop in same truck mpg. 10.5 average over 15,000 miles with the 5th, 8-8.5 over 10,000 with the travel trailer, even though weights are pretty close to the same. I blame the aerodynamics of the air dropping down to the bed, before hitting the front of the trailer, vs a tendency to go up and over on the 5th. Backing, towing was just better - maybe not a huge amount now that I've got the TT dialed in, but still better with the 5th.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    There will be much more tail wagging the dog. Biggest difference is storage.
    I disagree! With a good WDH you should feel no difference...IMHO. I went from a 5er to a TT and feel no difference while towing.

I agree with the storage though.
    2023 Rockwood Signature 2442 BS
    2022 Ram 3500 Longhorn Limited , 6.7 CTD, 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clmeach View Post
    Quoted post deleted.
    GD customer service has nothing to do with dealers.

Physically impossible for the truck alone to run the jacks with a dead battery in the trailers.

It’s laughable that you complain about a 3 or 4 week wait at a dealer. Typically more like 3 or 4 months, but again, that has nothing to do with GD and is the norm at all RV dealers.

Your problems seem to largely stem from not understanding how things work, the difference between dealers and manufacturers or even how forums work. RV ownership is likely not for you.
    Last edited by Second Chance; 05-22-2022 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Quoted post deleted
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12