User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rv insurance and total replacement policies.

I'm shopping around for a new insurance policy. My biggest concerns are agreed value and customer service. My rig has around $11k in upgrades and mods. Disk brakes, axles, whole house inverter, lithium battery bank, solar system, slide topper, etc. Obviously, a market value reimbursement in case of total loss, would not be sufficient to cover the loss. I have found a few companies that can do this, but most reviews of said company after a claim, are negative and describe service like pulling teeth to get results or denial of real claims and sub par payouts. On the subject of those offering total loss replacement up to 5 model years, I'm wondering if anyone here on the forum has ever had a total and used this insurance and what the experience was like. I see attractive policies, but negative reviews. Not surprising and well known is Good Sam ins. That gets high ratings on some web reviews but consistently gets negative reviews by actual customers. I am trying to avoid that. Any experience or suggestions appreciated.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deerislandbrew View Post
    I'm shopping around for a new insurance policy. My biggest concerns are agreed value and customer service. My rig has around $11k in upgrades and mods. Disk brakes, axles, whole house inverter, lithium battery bank, solar system, slide topper, etc. Obviously, a market value reimbursement in case of total loss, would not be sufficient to cover the loss. I have found a few companies that can do this, but most reviews of said company after a claim, are negative and describe service like pulling teeth to get results or denial of real claims and sub par payouts. On the subject of those offering total loss replacement up to 5 model years, I'm wondering if anyone here on the forum has ever had a total and used this insurance and what the experience was like. I see attractive policies, but negative reviews. Not surprising and well known is Good Sam ins. That gets high ratings on some web reviews but consistently gets negative reviews by actual customers. I am trying to avoid that. Any experience or suggestions appreciated.
    The only thing I can contribute is look at total replacement policies closely. When I looked at one for our new unit there was a limit of up to 120% of original cost (I think it was gieco but not positive). That wouldn't even cover the first year of the current price inflation let alone subsequent years or any of the upgrades. I ended up going with my current company and they let me set starting value higher than original cost to help cover upgrades. Now how that would play out in case of a total loss claim is anyone's guess.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am checking with Roamly insurance as one possible company. Supposedly an insurance co. formed by RVers for RVers. Anyone insured by them here on the forum?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have "National General" thru Good Sam. Last May we got T boned at an intersection (not our fault) and the trailer, a 2021 2600RB that was 7 months old, got totaled.
    Insurance bought us a new trailer, a 2022 model, included the cost of the dealer installing items we had installed on the totaled trailer. Slide topper, vent covers, rear camera.
    We paid nothing except the $500 deductible, but we finally got that back 2 months ago. Insurance paid for taxes, fees, etc.

We also got reimbursed for 2 hotel nights, UHaul trailer rental, and fuel to get back home. Luckily we were only 6 hours away and the $750 allotment got totally used up.

Hope this helps.

PS nothing happened to the truck.
    Last edited by jleonard; 05-18-2022 at 06:10 AM.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    We have "National General" thru Good Sam. Last May we got T boned at an intersection (not our fault) and the trailer, a 2021 2600RB that was 7 months old, got totaled.
    Insurance bought us a new trailer, a 2022 model, included the cost of the dealer installing items we had installed on the totaled trailer. Slide topper, vent covers, rear camera.
    We paid nothing except the $500 deductible, but we finally got that back 2 months ago. Insurance paid for taxes, fees, etc.

We also got reimbursed for 2 hotel nights, UHaul trailer rental, and fuel to get back home. Luckily we were only 6 hours away and the $750 allotment got totally used up.

Hope this helps.

PS nothing happened to the truck.
    Have not had a claim yet, but we too have NG thru GoodSam. My wife and I worked as IT Engineers in the INS industry for 20 or so yrs, we felt they had the best RV INS rates, coverage and claim testimonials. Its good to hear that the claims testimonials really do reflect what we have read.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 05-18-2022 at 06:33 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)