Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof sealant questions.

I've got a 2021 381m and looks like the AZ sun has taken a little bit of a toll on the roof sealants. A few of the seals have small hairline type cracks in them. I finally got my hands on some Alpha Systems Sealant (If they require AS, why do they make it impossible to find without paying crazy shipping costs).

I have 3 questions.

1. From my understanding, when the seals are still mostly good, I just have to check that there is nothing loose and if there is not, all I have to do is apply a little sealant on top of the hairline cracks?

2. Once I open the sealant bottle, will the rest of what I use just go bad or is there a decent way of plugging it up? If the rest just goes bad, any good uses for it to not waste so much of the rest? Should I reinforce some seals up top that don't even need it? etc..

3. It says the cure time is 1 week. What does that effectively mean for me? Is that referring to when it will be most effective against rain or does it need to be completely undisturbed for that long? I'm in AZ with weather in the 90s and no rain in sight. So rain isn't an issue. But I was planning on going somewhere this week. Can I drive the 5th wheel the next day on the freeway or do I have to wait to apply it till I have a week?

Thanks!

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't h have all the answers to your questions but sure some one will have more knowledge on the subject... Here is my 2¢worth

1. From my understanding, when the seals are still mostly good, I just have to check that there is nothing loose and if there is not, all I have to do is apply a little sealant on top of the hairline cracks? To do it properly you should remove what you can of the old sealant then clean the surface. Wiping with denatured alcohol will help remove left over residue fromcleaning. Applying just a little over cracks may buy time but it still has to be prepped properly or
    2. Once I open the sealant bottle, will the rest of what I use just go bad or is there a decent way of plugging it up? If the rest just goes bad, any good uses for it to not waste so much of the rest? Should I reinforce some seals up top that don't even need it? etc.. Once it is open it'll likely dry up in time. I would take the time to redo other seals that show signs of drying/cracking

3. It says the cure time is 1 week. What does that effectively mean for me?
    Does it have a set time listed? One it is set is when I would think it would be safe to move...but we have not tested that theroy
    Is that referring to when it will be most effective against rain or does it need to be completely undisturbed for that long? I'm in AZ with weather in the 90s and no rain in sight. So rain isn't an issue. But I was planning on going somewhere this week. Can I drive the 5th wheel the next day on the freeway or do I have to wait to apply it till I have a week?

If you are looking to buy time and a bandaid of sorts you could cover the bad areas with Eternabond tape... But if is applied on the roofing it could be harder to remove than the sealant
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add what I've done and has worked for me so far:

1. I add new lap sealant over top of what is there if I see a void or crack that needs filling. If the existing sealant seems loose and is pulling up at the edge then it time to replace that area of sealant as much as you can pull up.

2. I have had good luck with using the Airtite caulk tube preserving product. Not particularly cheap, but I've been able to store an open tube of lap sealant for over 6 months and still have it usable (after getting the dried stuff out of the nozzle).

3. For patching voids and cracks I've driven the next day without issue. If you were doing a large section and replacing existing sealant with new then driving could be an issue with the wind. Those pictures of RVs with the roof material ballooning going down the road are an example of not waiting for the sealant to cure fully.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    I've got a 2021 381m and looks like the AZ sun has taken a little bit of a toll on the roof sealants. A few of the seals have small hairline type cracks in them. I finally got my hands on some Alpha Systems Sealant (If they require AS, why do they make it impossible to find without paying crazy shipping costs).

I have 3 questions.

1. From my understanding, when the seals are still mostly good, I just have to check that there is nothing loose and if there is not, all I have to do is apply a little sealant on top of the hairline cracks?

2. Once I open the sealant bottle, will the rest of what I use just go bad or is there a decent way of plugging it up? If the rest just goes bad, any good uses for it to not waste so much of the rest? Should I reinforce some seals up top that don't even need it? etc..

3. It says the cure time is 1 week. What does that effectively mean for me? Is that referring to when it will be most effective against rain or does it need to be completely undisturbed for that long? I'm in AZ with weather in the 90s and no rain in sight. So rain isn't an issue. But I was planning on going somewhere this week. Can I drive the 5th wheel the next day on the freeway or do I have to wait to apply it till I have a week?

Thanks!
    Steve & Katey
    Full time since 07/01/2022
    2020 Ford F-350 DRW (5361 payload)
    2024 Solitude 390RK (FBP and Morryde IS from factory)
    2018 Reflection 337RLS (Still got it!)