Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 Diesel SLT + Reflection 5th Wheels

Greetings Reflection owners! I joined the forum recently because my wife and I had our heart set on a 337RLS but it appears we may have to rethink our decision. We recently put a deposit down to hold the 337 at our local dealer but prior to signing any financing I started doing some research to make sure our tow vehicle would work. Needless to say I was shocked when I found that our Ram, which we just purchased in March for the purpose of pulling a 5th wheel, had such a low payload capacity. According to www.ramtrucks.com my truck has a max payload of 2,291 lbs. Grand Design lists the Reflection 337 hitch weight at 2,090 lbs so that leaves us with only 200 lbs. for people, cargo, and water tanks. From the research I've done it appears Dodge switched to a new coil suspension recently, which brought the payload capacity way down. Towing capacity is 17,100 lbs, which is great but that doesn't help with the amount of weight we can put on the rear axles.

Selling the 2500 and going to a 3500 is not an option for us as I have no room for a dually, plus I'm not willing to take the hit on getting another vehicle. I've told my wife to start looking at other possibilities such as the Reflection 303RLS, which has a hitch weight of 1,660 lbs or even the 313RLTS (1,146 lbs.) travel trailer. We would really like to get a 5th wheel if possible so I'd appreciate any input from forum members who know more about this than we do. Would my truck be able to handle the 303 or is the payload vs 303 hitch weight still too close?

Thank you all and we hope to be Grand Design owners soon!

Smitty

sdabkh
    We recently purchased the 27RL. The super lites only have two floor plans currently but we really like ours, maybe that would be an option? Also the only difference in equipment between the 2500 and the 3500 is supposedly the rear springs as the axes are supposedly the same...maybe using air bags to beef up your rear suspension would be an acceptable work around for you that will keep your options in floor plans more open? Good luck

sdabkh
    Above reply should be saying "AXLES" NOT AXES

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Smitty,

We pull a 303RLS 5th wheel with a TV that has a 2300 lb payload. I have yet to get this rig weighed . . . and I know we will be close to the spec numbers . . . but, we purposely pack light and always travel with empty tanks. We have 5000 miles under the wheels and everything is "comfortable". The truck sits level without any pressure in the air bags. I did add air bags "just in case" and I run them at 30 psi when towing to cushion the ride a little. This lifts the back of the truck about 1/2".

You are pulling with a diesel. I tow with a twin turbo gasoline V6. We have no problem keeping up with traffic . . . and you have twice the torque that we have.

Be careful of the tongue weight on the 313RLTS. It is already past Class IV at dry weight.

337 vs 303 . . . the living area is basically the same. The differences are size of the shower, size of the closet and bed in the slide vs on the centreline. We like our night tables and the "quiet" of having the bed not in the slide. The closet in the slide and the curved shower stall also suit us just fine.

This is a 303 on a truck with 2300 payload . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	2505

Rob

Additional thought . . .
    we tow a little high at the front of the trailer and Rams are even taller than F150s . . . but, current production 303s have been raised 2" to make this work better with your truck.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow with a 2014 Ram 2500 diesel, SRW, and pull a 2014 303RLS. The new Ram's sit very high and as a result I had to have the suspension modified on the camper in order to have it not sit so nose high. If it's true that the 2015's have been raised 2" you won't have a problem towing.
    2014 Ram 2500 W / 6.7L diesel
    2014 303 RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehead View Post
    I tow with a 2014 Ram 2500 diesel, SRW, and pull a 2014 303RLS. The new Ram's sit very high and as a result I had to have the suspension modified on the camper in order to have it not sit so nose high. If it's true that the 2015's have been raised 2" you won't have a problem towing.

Thank you for your response. I have not read anything regarding Grand Design raising the 303 suspension on newer models. My truck does sit high so I would have the same problem that you had unless the company has in fact corrected that as Rob mentioned. I would appreciate hearing any information on towing the 303 with weight (cargo, water, etc.) in it. Have you noticed any issues given there is only a 600 lbs buffer between the payload capacity of the Dodge compared to the hitch weight of the 303? Also, do you concur that the 337 would be too heavy for our trucks without modifications? I haven't checked on how expensive that would be but I assume it wouldn't be cheap. Thank you!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread has the whole story of the recent changes to the 303 to put a 2" square tube between the suspension and the frame rail to gain an additional 2" of trailer ride height. Post #20 has the picture that shows the latest design configuration. (I do not have this 2" square tube)
    http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...tube%26quot%3B

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest calling G.D. directly and asking about the 2" lift being incorporated into the new units. Your dealer may or may not be truthfully forthcoming as they have a 2015 on the lot they want to sell. I would think it would cost several hundred dollars to get a 2015 model retrofitted at a frame shop. If the '16's already come that way, I'd wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also in the market for a 303RLS to be towed by a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD. I've been looking at various 2015 and 2016 model 303s on the dealer lots. It's quite easy to tell which have and which don't have the 2" suspension lift, just compare to the picture Rob provided in the above link. If in doubt, only pursue a 2016 unit.
    Keith, Karen & Pippa (soft coated Wheaten Terrier)

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 4x4 LTZ Duramax Diesel

Fifth Wheel: 2017 Grand Design 303RLS

Hitch: Andersen Ultimate Hitch II - Aluminum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty29832 View Post
    Thank you for your response. I have not read anything regarding Grand Design raising the 303 suspension on newer models. My truck does sit high so I would have the same problem that you had unless the company has in fact corrected that as Rob mentioned. I would appreciate hearing any information on towing the 303 with weight (cargo, water, etc.) in it. Have you noticed any issues given there is only a 600 lbs buffer between the payload capacity of the Dodge compared to the hitch weight of the 303? Also, do you concur that the 337 would be too heavy for our trucks without modifications? I haven't checked on how expensive that would be but I assume it wouldn't be cheap. Thank you!
    You can call me at 479-264-4815 and I would be glad to share information.
    2014 Ram 2500 W / 6.7L diesel
    2014 303 RLS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast