Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aftermarket drain plugs - water heater

I have a GD Imagine 2800BH. When winterizing and then de-winterizing removing/replacing the hot water tank plug is frustrating. There is absolutely no room to use pliers, socket, including fingers to remove or replace it. So I have to resort to using pliers that will only allow about 1/8th of an inch turn because there are heater parts that in the way of using a tool properly. When loosened after about 20 minutes I then resort to fingers with the same results plus another 20 minutes. Surely there are aftermarket plugs, so like everyone I 'googled' the issue. What interested me was a plug sold by Campco that looks to be brass with a petcock on the end - just not sure if it will fit with all the other heater stuff in the way.

Appreciate any recommendations and/or advice.

Rich

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richlw View Post
    I have a GD Imagine 2800BH. When winterizing and then de-winterizing removing/replacing the hot water tank plug is frustrating. There is absolutely no room to use pliers, socket, including fingers to remove or replace it. So I have to resort to using pliers that will only allow about 1/8th of an inch turn because there are heater parts that in the way of using a tool properly. When loosened after about 20 minutes I then resort to fingers with the same results plus another 20 minutes. Surely there are aftermarket plugs, so like everyone I 'googled' the issue. What interested me was a plug sold by Campco that looks to be brass with a petcock on the end - just not sure if it will fit with all the other heater stuff in the way.

Rich
    I purchased one of these kits. The wrench makes removing the plug an easier process, and the spare plugs are a bonus.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BMRRZ94...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    2018 297RSTS
    2018 GMC Denali HD

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With 2 RV's that had Atwood heaters, I have not had any issues using a 15/16 socket with a 6" extension. Another poster had an issue that might raise it's head using the Camco plug with the petcock - reduced flow that helps flush out sediment build up inside the water heater. Not saying it will, but it all depends on the water you use, and how much use the heater gets.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sande005 View Post
    With 2 RV's that had Atwood heaters, I have not had any issues using a 15/16 socket with a 6" extension. Another poster had an issue that might raise it's head using the Camco plug with the petcock - reduced flow that helps flush out sediment build up inside the water heater. Not saying it will, but it all depends on the water you use, and how much use the heater gets.
    Thanks to the gentlemen who replied to my question. Appreciate your time guiding me in the right direction!

Rich

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich, I went a different route. I bought 2 feet of heater hose (high temp rubber) from Home Depot. Put a plastic fitting (barb on one end, threads on other), 2 90deg elbows and a PVC inline valve. So on one end of setup is threads to go into the tank and other end is a PVC valve. Now when I drain, I just open the door and turn the valve. I also lay the hose on the angled door so it drains past the bumper. Once done, tuck it all back in and close door. I was initially worried about the hose melting on something. (3) years like this and no indication of any rubber fatigue or damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Richlw View Post

Rich
    2022 GD 2970RL (soon to be "released")
    2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear, 55gal tank!
    2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)
    2016 GD 2600rb (Sold)