Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring Question

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiring Question

I have a 2021 Reflection 28BH. It has an outdoor kitchen with a mini fridge. I was hoping to tap into the light and add an outlet for an inverter, but the light doesn't work. I've pulled it out and tested the wiring and found there is no power going to the light. It has wire connectors that are these clear plastic boxes that you lay the wires in and snap it closed. Kinda flimsy, but I'll deal with it. All of the other lights work fine. My fuses are all good.

My question is...do you think this thing was wired together in a chain? I'm thinking of pulling the nearest light and see if the wires that come away from it go towards the outdoor kitchen and making sure that connection is solid. Or is it more complicated to where the wires that feed this non-working light run all the way to the fuse panel?

Any input or advice is appreciated.

(It's under warranty, but it'll be at the shop for a month if I have to take it in....would love to fix it myself)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GD likes to tie a lot of the negative wires together, could be a loose connection wherever the junction is. Unfortunately there is no standard how they wire these things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 05-18-2022 at 04:17 PM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd start with the plastic box. I had some connection fail and the problem was inside the box.
    Some wires moved just enough that there was no connection
    Milt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to add another light under the tv which be over the table on my 2022 22 mle. I removed the control panel under the radio what wires would be the right colors other lights are using a black and white.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rzrbaxfan View Post
    I have a 2021 Reflection 28BH. It has an outdoor kitchen with a mini fridge. I was hoping to tap into the light and add an outlet for an inverter, but the light doesn't work. I've pulled it out and tested the wiring and found there is no power going to the light. It has wire connectors that are these clear plastic boxes that you lay the wires in and snap it closed. Kinda flimsy, but I'll deal with it. All of the other lights work fine. My fuses are all good.

My question is...do you think this thing was wired together in a chain? I'm thinking of pulling the nearest light and see if the wires that come away from it go towards the outdoor kitchen and making sure that connection is solid. Or is it more complicated to where the wires that feed this non-working light run all the way to the fuse panel?

Any input or advice is appreciated.

(It's under warranty, but it'll be at the shop for a month if I have to take it in....would love to fix it myself)
    If I remember correctly, that light is fed by a switch. Was the switch on when you were testing for power?
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To tap in an inverter to an existing light fixture you might want to check the existing load already on that circuit, wire current capability on the circuit and and the fuse size. Then look at the max current draw on the inverter you want to install.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    If I remember correctly, that light is fed by a switch. Was the switch on when you were testing for power?
    I pulled the light fixture out, disconnected the light and tested the wires that come up the wall to the fixture.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MImilt View Post
    I'd start with the plastic box. I had some connection fail and the problem was inside the box.
    Some wires moved just enough that there was no connection
    Milt
    I could see that being the issue. That connection is flimsy. I used wire nuts to reattach the light to the incoming wires, but I know for sure there is no power at that point. I'm guessing it's that same connection on the other end of that wire, and it's going to take some effort to figure out where that is. My guess is it's either at the nearest light (wired in a series) or it goes all the way to the fuse panel. I'm going to check the nearest light when I can.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    GD likes to tie a lot of the negative wires together, could be a loose connection wherever the junction is. Unfortunately there is no standard how they wire these things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    That's about what I figured. Someone I asked in person said "It depends on who was working on the day that your camper was built".

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Corky2 asked the right questions -
    how small of an inverter are you going to put on that light circuit? Even my pretty small 600w inverter required #6 wire from the battery, and I used #4 for the 6 ft run.
    The tiny #16 wire for the light (or is it #18 ?) will be lucky to supply a 4 watt inverter before the wire acts as a fuse and goes up in a puff of smoke....
    For anything even a bit practical, you're going to need some seriously big cables running the length of the trailer. Or put the inverter very near the batteries, and figure out either how to run a 120v circuit back to the outside kitchen, or patch it into the main panel....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast