User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pop out led bedroom lights in RB2600

I'm trying to pop down the bedroom lights to hopefully add a dimmer. I'm trying to see the wire colors that GD used as I have 2 yellows ( tied together ) and a brown on the switch. They are easy to pull down and I can see the springs that I guess are holding them in place but I'm afraid to pull any harder so I don't break anything. Any help would be appreciated. Also has anybody successfully installed a dimmer if you couldn't find a ground in the wall ?
    2022 2600 RB , Road Armor + wet bolt and heavy shackle kit
    2021 Ram 1500 Premier, 5.7 E Torque , 3.91 rear end, trailering kit

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjake392 View Post
    I'm trying to pop down the bedroom lights to hopefully add a dimmer. I'm trying to see the wire colors that GD used as I have 2 yellows ( tied together ) and a brown on the switch. They are easy to pull down and I can see the springs that I guess are holding them in place but I'm afraid to pull any harder so I don't break anything. Any help would be appreciated. Also has anybody successfully installed a dimmer if you couldn't find a ground in the wall ?
    Are you trying to install a dimmer on the lights above the bed or for all the lights in the bedroom?

Either way, the ceiling lights are held in place by two springs, you can pull down one side until you can fit a finger in the space and then pull the other side down so you can depress both springs to pull out the light.

Here is a picture of the ceiling lights so you can see the springs:

https://www.amazon.com/Obeaming-Rece...1&sr=8-28&th=1

If you want to dim all the lights in the bedroom (you naughty boy) then this is the dimmer to use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

This is easy to wire in place of the existing switch and all you need is a slightly larger hole for it to fit into.

PS: I just installed individual dimmers for the two lights above the head of the bed and i installed the combination switch/dimmer for our bathroom lights.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I had looked at that dimmer . All of the lights are too bright in the trailer at night. What did you do about the ground wire on the dimmer? I've looked in the wall and pulled the wires out as far as possible but still no ground. When I get back home after this trip I'll be working to get a dimmer for the main coach lights. I need to find the Compass Connect control panel but another post about dimmers has it located for me. This the first time out with the trailer and even after working for a couple of weeks at home to get ready, I've found a bunch of stuff that needs to be addressed before the next trip. Thanks again for the help.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you need to add a ground wire ? I can't find one in the wall anywhere. I might have to try to fish a ground from the first light over and down the wall to the dimmer.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjake392 View Post
    Thanks. I had looked at that dimmer . All of the lights are too bright in the trailer at night. What did you do about the ground wire on the dimmer? I've looked in the wall and pulled the wires out as far as possible but still no ground. When I get back home after this trip I'll be working to get a dimmer for the main coach lights. I need to find the Compass Connect control panel but another post about dimmers has it located for me. This the first time out with the trailer and even after working for a couple of weeks at home to get ready, I've found a bunch of stuff that needs to be addressed before the next trip. Thanks again for the help.

When I pulled the original switch out I found both a hot and a ground wire, so I just wired up the dimmer as shown on the back of the dimmer switch.

It seems to me that you should be able to find a ground inside the wall behind the switch. If you can't find a ground there, see if you could run a new ground to some other wire nearby (perhaps in the ceiling).

Good luck
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a small mirror and did find another wire going down the wall to the propane detector. Hooked up the dimmer and it works beautifully ! Thanks for the help. Waiting for the dimmer for the main coach to arrive but looks like a piece of cake since I found the controller and identified the wires already. Dimmer in the main coach will be a big asset.Thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say thanks for this post. I installed a dimmer for my front bedroom lights and was able to use the same ground wire that you found to the propane detector. I changed the lights themselves to a warmer, dimmable model too.
    Jim

2022 Imagine 2600RB
    Silverado 1500