Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reflection 295RL heater vent delaminating barn door to bedroom

The heater vent in our m/bedroom is causing the 'barn' door that hangs above it to delaminate (see picture). The obvious answer (duh) close the door when operating heater, but that's not a solution. I'm going to try to glue the veneer/laminate back on and get a diverter for the vent. Poor design or no forethought I guess. Anyone else have this problem, if not you probably will.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-9066.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	40722
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    Tow Vehicle 2020 Ford F-250 FX4 6.2L
    PULLIT 5th Wheel Hitch
    Home Base Hobe Sound FL

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobe320 View Post
    The heater vent in our m/bedroom is causing the 'barn' door that hangs above it to delaminate (see picture). The obvious answer (duh) close the door when operating heater, but that's not a solution. I'm going to try to glue the veneer/laminate back on and get a diverter for the vent. Poor design or no forethought I guess. Anyone else have this problem, if not you probably will.

Hobe, we had the exact same problem. I removed the door and laid it flat to try and iron out the wrinkles. This is when I found that the laminate is really just contact paper! After warming the paper with a hair dryer, I used a roller to flatten it down. After letting it sit overnight, the bubbles and wrinkles returned. This was the time we said "just forget it" and decided to just not reinstall the door.

We have used our trailer several times since removing the door and actually like it that way. There is more room at the foot of the bed and we don't have to remember to secure the door before traveling. I posted about our disappointment with GD using contact paper as a cheap substitute for laminate or even a true veneer and while several replied in favor of my disappointment, many pointed out that it is a cost and weight savings method of construction.

By the way, others have seen this wrinkling of other trim pieces in their trailers and attribute it to the hot dry climates they travel in. Well, how much dryer and hotter can a door get then right over the heat register?! In other words, poor design by GD.
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John,

Thanks for the information. I forgot to mention, one night I tried to 'tone the heat' down out of that vent by laying my wife's flip flop over it.....ruined the flip flop, I'll bring that up to GD as well. Great suggestion about leaving the door at home will consider that moving forward. I'll try what you suggested, while were out and post my results. Thanks Again!!!!

Hobe320
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    Tow Vehicle 2020 Ford F-250 FX4 6.2L
    PULLIT 5th Wheel Hitch
    Home Base Hobe Sound FL

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodwrench View Post
    Hobe, we had the exact same problem. I removed the door and laid it flat to try and iron out the wrinkles. This is when I found that the laminate is really just contact paper! After warming the paper with a hair dryer, I used a roller to flatten it down. After letting it sit overnight, the bubbles and wrinkles returned. This was the time we said "just forget it" and decided to just not reinstall the door.

We have used our trailer several times since removing the door and actually like it that way. There is more room at the foot of the bed and we don't have to remember to secure the door before traveling. I posted about our disappointment with GD using contact paper as a cheap substitute for laminate or even a true veneer and while several replied in favor of my disappointment, many pointed out that it is a cost and weight savings method of construction.

By the way, others have seen this wrinkling of other trim pieces in their trailers and attribute it to the hot dry climates they travel in. Well, how much dryer and hotter can a door get then right over the heat register?! In other words, poor design by GD.
    All the cabinet framing is contact paper over wood. It's how most all RV's are made. To get real wood framing or real wood doors you have to spend $$$$$. Most all things you see in RV's is smoke and mirrors. Products are made to look expensive but are really cheaply made.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    All the cabinet framing is contact paper over wood. It's how most all RV's are made. To get real wood framing or real wood doors you have to spend $$$$$. Most all things you see in RV's is smoke and mirrors. Products are made to look expensive but are really cheaply made.
    After taking our unit out of storage last week , we noticed that over the winter, 3 of our cabinet fronts as well as the fridge front discoloured quite badly, almost like a bleached look. Blinds were drawn all winter, so it can't be from the sun. Reported it as a warranty issue so we will see what comes of it.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    After taking our unit out of storage last week , we noticed that over the winter, 3 of our cabinet fronts as well as the fridge front discolored quite badly, almost like a bleached look. Blinds were drawn all winter, so it can't be from the sun. Reported it as a warranty issue so we will see what comes of it.
    Door and drawer fronts are solid wood so it's probably a bad batch of finish or prep before finish is sprayed on. Hopefully GD just sends you some new fronts.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobe320 View Post

Could also try dampered registers. We bought some and swapped all our OEMs out with them.

https://www.amazon.com/LeisureRV-Clo...34038019&psc=1
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dampered registers are a great idea. We did that on our 2 previous trailers. Swapped them all...allowed uas to control heat better as often the upper part of the 5th closest to where furnace blower is got too warm. Dampered registers also prevent a lot of the grit and stuff from falling into the registers.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also on topic of registers...in your 295's....is the one behind the toilet a cold air return? Ours behind toilet does not appear to have any ducting in it, I can see the pex tubing running to the toilet beneath the register, and no air blows from it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Could also try dampered registers. We bought some and swapped all our OEMs out with them.

https://www.amazon.com/LeisureRV-Clo...34038019&psc=1
    Were you able to get the dampered registers in black or did you go with the tan ones like in the link you included?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast