User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Upgrading to 5th Wheel

Newbie question.......I have owned a bumper pull GD Imagine for the past few years and upgrading to a 2022 Reflection 295RL. My TV is an F350 diesel with 8' bed and in the process of installing a gooseneck with B&W Companion hitch. My question is does anyone else have a similar setup and have thoughts on if air bags are needed with this configuration? I have never towed a 5th wheel and since I don't even take delivery of the Reflection for another week I have yet to experience how this setup feels.
    Thanks in advance!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't mention what year the truck is, and whether it's a dually or not. Is the B&W hitch a puck mount, rails, or turnover ball? Or whether it's a diesel? My initial thought would be that you'll likely be okay. The GVWR of the trailer is about 10,000 lbs. so you should be okay at that weight, even if it's a SRW. But more information is always better than less.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won't need airbags with an F350 and a 150 series Reflection. Pin weight is pretty light on that one, around 1600-1700 loaded.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the reply! My truck is a 2019 diesel SRW and hitch is a turnover ball mount.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you! This was my thinking too but wanted to get some veterans opinions as well.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdecandia View Post
    Thank you for the reply! My truck is a 2019 diesel SRW and hitch is a turnover ball mount.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdecandia View Post
    Thank you! This was my thinking too but wanted to get some veterans opinions as well.
    @cdecandia -

Welcome to the forum! A few tips:

1) If you use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have here, folks will know to whom you are responding and that person will get a notification.

2) You can also tag folks using the "@" symbol and their user name (as I have done yours) - they'll also get a notification that way.

3) You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard.

It sounds like you will be fine without air bags. I have them on my truck. But I also have a heavier 5ver.

Sometimes they help with the ride, sometimes not; it is highly dependent on the roads. They do bring it back up to level but since I don't drive at night much with the RV attached that isn't a big deal for me as it doesn't squat too much.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods