User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Whoa ! This is interesting to me but I can't find any information on it on GD's site or Curt/Lipper's site.
    But here's the ABS Controller they list on their parts page. I also noticed on the parts page they list CANBUS Data wiring harnesses. And if you try to download the owners manual for 2022 for information you get the 2021 owners manual with nothing in it about the braking system.
    It's under Lippert Anti-Lock Braking. They show the control module mounted inside the frame, passengers side, near the front right tire. I downloaded the pdf file from Lippert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ccd-0004490.pdf  
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking about this new braking system since I read Steve's post and I am skeptical, concerned and I don't like it. Vehicle braking systems are an extremely important public safety system. An ABS braking system is a sophisticated system and every piece of it has to work for the system to work properly as a whole. What if it doesn't work? What if you have a component failure? What is the default for the system if there is some kind of problem. No brakes, diminished braking, slamming on of the brakes? How will you know if there is a problem with the system? Will it kill the resistance in the system so that your truck thinks the brakes are disconnected? Is that the only notice you will get? The controller will have to pulse the electro magnets based on the brake drum timing marks and the sensors pickup them up. Way too much unknown about this ABS braking system!

I'm sorry, I just have no confidence in Lippert or companies that design systems for RVs and resold by other companies with little to no real world road testing. They have demonstrated time and again their lack of quality with their cheap designs, cheap implementations and cheap haphazard installations. With the possible exception of MORryde.

Just look at where they mounted the ABS controller, to the inside of the frame, right by the passenger tire where all kinds of moisture can get to the controller. Hey that coroplast is not that robust to keep moisture out and away from the controller. Hey with the lousy RV water line installations, are there any near the ABS controller? Just look at the lousy installation of wiring the RV industry does!! Did they use sealed weather pack connectors? Run the wiring inside the axle tube where it can get chaffing and water logged? What kind of cheap wire did they use? Is it run inside corrugated tubes just tie strapped to the axle tube for protection? Thats just a few questions that crossed my mind, I'm sure there are more.

And think about this, it's a proprietary system, are there sufficient spare parts already in the system? Will you have to wait months for spare parts? What if you have problems, will GD help solve them or just pass you off to Lippert? Will Lippert have subject matter experts on this system to help you get the system fixed? And you have to control and pair it with their One Control App! That App is not exactly trouble free!

Am I willing to trust they did this right with my family's well being and security? Am I willing to trust I will not have to use my vehicle's insurance to pay for an accident their braking system caused? Am I willing to get into arbitration to determine what caused the accident? Was it their braking system?

Absolutely not! Until a lot more is known about this system, how it operates, and it's proven quality, I would absolutely NOT purchase any RV that had this system installed.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-25-2022 at 10:08 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been thinking about this new braking system since I read Steve's post and I am skeptical, concerned and I don't like it. Vehicle braking systems are an extremely important public safety system. An ABS braking system is a sophisticated system and every piece of it has to work for the system to work properly as a whole. What if it doesn't work? What if you have a component failure? What is the default for the system if there is some kind of problem. No brakes, diminished braking, slamming on of the brakes? How will you know if there is a problem with the system? Will it kill the resistance in the system so that your truck thinks the brakes are disconnected? Is that the only notice you will get? The controller will have to pulse the electro magnets based on the brake drum timing marks and the sensors pickup them up. Way too much unknown about this ABS braking system!

I'm sorry, I just have no confidence in Lippert or companies that design systems for RVs and resold by other companies with little to no real world road testing. They have demonstrated time and again their lack of quality with their cheap designs, cheap implementations and cheap haphazard installations. With the possible exception of MORryde.

Just look at where they mounted the ABS controller, to the inside of the frame, right by the passenger tire where all kinds of moisture can get to the controller. Hey that coroplast is not that robust to keep moisture out and away from the controller. Hey with the lousy RV water line installations, are there any near the ABS controller? Just look at the lousy installation of wiring the RV industry does!! Did they use sealed weather pack connectors? Run the wiring inside the axle tube where it can get chaffing and water logged? What kind of cheap wire did they use? Is it run inside corrugated tubes just tie strapped to the axle tube for protection? Thats just a few questions that crossed my mind, I'm sure there are more.

And think about this, it's a proprietary system, are there sufficient spare parts already in the system? Will you have to wait months for spare parts? What if you have problems, will GD help solve them or just pass you off to Lippert? Will Lippert have subject matter experts on this system to help you get the system fixed? And you have to control and pair it with their One Control App! That App is not exactly trouble free!

Am I willing to trust they did this right with my family's well being and security? Am I willing to trust I will not have to use my vehicle's insurance to pay for an accident their braking system caused? Am I willing to get into arbitration to determine what caused the accident? Was it their braking system?

Absolutely not! Until a lot more is known about this system, how it operates, and it's proven quality, I would absolutely NOT purchase any RV that had this system installed.

Tell us how you really feel!

I can't say I disagree with anything you point out. On our old unit it would have been pointless anyway, I couldn't get the trailer brakes to lock even if I wanted to (unless I was on gravel), just not enough braking force, either with the OEM ones or with the Dexter's I replaced them with.

Our new one has disc's, a reliable system for those I could understand.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YFU7Ie8TR5Y

I wonder if it is a electronic anti-sway braking system and not ABS?

The attached link refers to an electric anti-sway system from etrailer.

The sensor monitors potential sway and than applies braking on the opposing side wheels to counter the sway, it is supposed to do this very quickly as needed to counteract the sway.

As mentioned previously still does not address the installation element, proper wire gauge, electrical connectors, weather proof installation etc…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never heard of anti lock drum brakes. Only disc.
    In fact my 8K axle with disc brakes from the factory has the reductor ring for anti locks.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I have never heard of anti lock drum brakes. Only disc.
    In fact my 8K axle with disc brakes from the factory has the reductor ring for anti locks.
    There were plenty of anti-lock drum brake systems in the 80s and 90s. F-150s had rear drum antilock brakes in the 80s. My 2001 Ram 1500 had them as well.

This seems like an excellent safety advancement to me. They’ll need to meet CSA standards to be sold in Canada, so will have to perform reasonably well.
    Last edited by Easycamper; 05-29-2022 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typically, when an ABS system fails it reverts back to standard braking (no ABS involved). I would think that Curt, LCI, GD, and whoever else is involved would insure that the fail safe braking is satisfactory. If not, they will see many lawsuits headed their way.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our new 2023 Reflection 5th wheel order sheet that I received from the dealer (we pick it up next week) shows an installed "Option" of 'Curt Axles w/ABS' with MSRP for the option of $845. So it appears this has been optioned down to the Reflection 5th wheel line as well. Will be interesting to see how it performs/behaves.

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    I'm mildly surprised that no one has mentioned or heard that Grand Design started using Curt axles this month.

As of May, Solitude is built with 7,000 lb Curt axles and standard ABS braking.

Disc brakes are still available on 7k and 8k axles, but no ABS.

I haven't gotten my hands on any yet to see how they work or what they take to operate, but I will soon.
    I must admit that in my 28 years of RV`ing I have yet to find that locking up my trailer brakes has EVER been a problem. Gettng them to work correctly has, on occassion, been an issue. Has anyone else ever experienced RV trailer brakes that were so efficient that they needed an automatic system to reduce and control application?
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lovells View Post
    I must admit that in my 28 years of RV`ing I have yet to find that locking up my trailer brakes has EVER been a problem. Gettng them to work correctly has, on occassion, been an issue. Has anyone else ever experienced RV trailer brakes that were so efficient that they needed an automatic system to reduce and control application?
    I have never tried, but I bet my discs could do it if I turned the contoller up. As an aside, my discs are set up to add anti locks to them .
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast