User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backing up Steep driveway

I recently purchased this 310Gk Solitude. I have a rather wide driveway that is steeper on one side than the other. I backed in on the less steep side at an angle and bumper scratched my driveway and i believe i only need maybe 1-1 1/2" more clearance. I also noticed it left a mark on my bedrail. I have about 5" clearance from trailer to bedrail. I have a Curt sliding hitch that is now already at the highest setting. I have thought of putting planks on the road to get the trailer up a bit before it has to jump the curb. I have Airride pin box. I have been hearing about putting on larger tires, Correct tract trailer alignment, flipping axels under over, skid wheels, etc:
    Just wondering which would be the easiest way to achieve another 1 1/2" at bumper when backing in.
    Also, would sliding the hitch back help with the bed rail clearance as well as the bumper clearance?
    Thanks for your help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230608_103617.jpg   20230608_103650.jpg   20230608_103824.jpg   20230608_103921.jpg   20230608_103643.jpg  

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gbopper View Post
    I recently purchased this 310Gk Solitude. I have a rather wide driveway that is steeper on one side than the other. I backed in on the less steep side at an angle and bumper scratched my driveway
    Hey @Gbopper, so sorry to hear about your mishap, that must have been disappointing. I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest, does the scraping occur right at the curb area? If so your idea to use boards might help. In any case, welcome to the forum, perhaps one of our knowledgeable members will be able to help you out.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gbopper View Post
    I recently purchased this 310Gk Solitude. I have a rather wide driveway that is steeper on one side than the other. I backed in on the less steep side at an angle and bumper scratched my driveway and i believe i only need maybe 1-1 1/2" more clearance. I also noticed it left a mark on my bedrail. I have about 5" clearance from trailer to bedrail. I have a Curt sliding hitch that is now already at the highest setting. I have thought of putting planks on the road to get the trailer up a bit before it has to jump the curb. I have Airride pin box. I have been hearing about putting on larger tires, Correct tract trailer alignment, flipping axels under over, skid wheels, etc:
    Just wondering which would be the easiest way to achieve another 1 1/2" at bumper when backing in.
    Also, would sliding the hitch back help with the bed rail clearance as well as the bumper clearance?
    Thanks for your help
    We have these. They are fastened to the receiver hitch tube. They look pretty beefy and might unload the trailer suspension a bit on a steeper driveway but I doubt they are intended to take too much of the trailer weight.

That won't solve the bed rail issue though. In fact, I think it might make it worse as it will raise the back of the trailer (lower the front) even more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Skid Rollers.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	46734
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a steep driveway also that I back up into. I have to back into it on the passenger side because on the drivers side, it is too steep, and I will hit the rear bumper (road dips on that side). The angles until the truck starts up the driveway is interesting.

A couple of thoughts, does the pinbox need to have all six of the bolts on each side, or will four work. I have a Momentum 5th wheel, and it only uses four bolts on each side of the pinbox. If you can use four, you can raise the nose of the trailer for the bed rail clearance. Also, the springs look somewhat flat to me, if they are, new ones will raise your trailer up.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure on the driveway, but I would spray your exposed undercarriage with wool wax to stop that rusting.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if you laid down a couple 2x10s on the driveway? As you are backing in and before your bumper hits the ground place a couple 2x10s (long enough to get you past the trouble area) behind the trailer tires so it raises up the back end of the trailer up as you back onto them. That should give you a least a 1.5" inches of clearance that you need. I am assuming that you are only scraping the ground for a couple feet. You may even get away with 2x8s, but 2x10s are even easier.
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 06-10-2023 at 07:55 AM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at Sumo spring will help your sagging springs. Installed on my 310. Careful with too much height factory spec is 13ft.5 inches. I also went too a slightly larger tire gained .5 of an inch. You need at least 6 inches of rail clearance. Are you towing level? The more clearance at the hitch will hurt your back end clearance unfortunately. Good luck.
    2016 3500 Duramax/ Full delete
    2019 GD Solitude 310GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does look like your springs are shot...
    You might try coming in at more of an angle. I have a similar situation (steep driveway) but am forced to come in at an extreme angle to clear my mailbox and curb. Not sure how that will effect your bed clearance as the trailer will roll to the side as you go up the hill.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5654D894-C07C-4ECB-BAC9-9DDB2AF8A360.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	46757
    Last edited by Jomani; 06-10-2023 at 10:32 AM.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Letting the air out of your pin box air bag will raise the rear of the unit substantially.
    2022 GMC 3500HD Duramax 6.6 Turbo
    Curt A30 Puck System
    2022 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
    (Previous Reflection 303RLS)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't help with the slope issue but your springs look ok to me?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997