User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

261BH Dexter/MORryde suspension upgrade

We own a 2021 261BH that we bought new and has traveled 6,398 miles so far. After seeing many posts about suspension woes I decided to do some suspension maintenance. I bought MORryde's shackle upgrade kit and Dexter's K71-654-00 Equalizer and bolt kit to swap out the OEM components.

First pic is the right side equalizer and bushings. I was surprised to find 'plastic' bushings as most members have posted bronze bushings as OEM. These bushings are relatively soft, you can squeeze them and deform them. You can also see how they conformed to the spring eyes 'out-of-roundness'. 6 of the bushings were in great shape with the center 'hanger' bushing on the equalizer worn through on the bottom, which you can see if you click on the pic. No wear to the equalizer or bolt though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R equalizer.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	49197

Second is the left side equalizer and bushings with exactly the same wear as the right. The bottom equalizer bushings are intact and worn evenly, the top bushing, again, is worn through the bottom. The picture doesn't show the damage to the top bushing and even makes the bottoms look worn through but they're not. I couldn't see my phone screen in the bright daylight.. Again, no wear on the equalizer or bolt.

Name:	L equalizer.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	49196

Last pic is my 15 y/o helper who made the work go quicker. First side took me almost two hours working mostly alone, second side took an hour. It helps to have somebody handing you tools and parts!

Name:	helper.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	49198

I have replaced all bushings with Never Fail bushings and expect, at least, similar performance to the OEMs (whatever they're made of). I agree with what @toolman.dustin has posted in his own thread and I surmise that softer bushings may last longer due to their malleability allowing them to conform to the spring eyes.
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll notice a huge difference going from the solid equalizers to the Dexter EZ-Flex equalizers. I can't believe they still put those things on any modern trailer.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW. The equalizers are the hardest working part of the suspension, Everytime I have had suspensions apart over the last 30+ years, they showed the most wear. . It doesn't matter what type/brand, they should be considered a "wear" item much like tires/brakes
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison