User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TBH, I've never heard of people with heavy trailers having an issue with the brakes locking up. In fact it's usually just the opposite. If it were a problem then it's great they are addressing it, but my thought is they should be addressing the lack of effective braking.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    TBH, I've never heard of people with heavy trailers having an issue with the brakes locking up. In fact it's usually just the opposite. If it were a problem then it's great they are addressing it, but my thought is they should be addressing the lack of effective braking.
    I think that an ABS system with electric drum brakes may help them do that. They can ramp up the braking response without having to worry about locking up one wheel. You could turn up the controller on the truck. I agree that you might not be able to lock up drum brakes on dry roads, but that’s not why you have them. They are for wet or otherwise slick roads.

We have 8k axles with disc brakes. If I could find a dependable, reasonably priced anti-lock upgrade, i would do it in a heart beat. We are pulling a 17,000+ lb RV. Having to do a sudden stop on wet roads would be iffy. Anti-lock brakes are a bit like bike helmets. You hope never to use it, but having it if you do can prevent disastrous consequences.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ABS on disc brakes works well because of the way the system works. I still have no idea how an ABS system can realistically work with electric drum brakes, when you consider the time lag I just can't see it. I've honestly never read about anyone locking up their electric drum brakes on any kind of road surface. I'm speaking strictly of heavy, and very heavy trailers, i.e. over 10,000 lbs.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ABS on disc brakes works well because of the way the system works. I still have no idea how an ABS system can realistically work with electric drum brakes, when you consider the time lag I just can't see it. I've honestly never read about anyone locking up their electric drum brakes on any kind of road surface. I'm speaking strictly of heavy, and very heavy trailers, i.e. over 10,000 lbs.
    I agree 100%. Drum brakes are just too slow. I do not remember any antlock brakes in autos until after disc brakes arrived.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I agree 100%. Drum brakes are just too slow. I do not remember any antlock brakes in autos until after disc brakes arrived.
    Good point.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    I think that an ABS system with electric drum brakes may help them do that. They can ramp up the braking response without having to worry about locking up one wheel. You could turn up the controller on the truck. I agree that you might not be able to lock up drum brakes on dry roads, but that’s not why you have them. They are for wet or otherwise slick roads.

We have 8k axles with disc brakes. If I could find a dependable, reasonably priced anti-lock upgrade, i would do it in a heart beat. We are pulling a 17,000+ lb RV. Having to do a sudden stop on wet roads would be iffy. Anti-lock brakes are a bit like bike helmets. You hope never to use it, but having it if you do can prevent disastrous consequences.
    If you have the factory 8k/disc brakes I have they can be outfitted with antilocks. The reductor ring and sensor bracket is there for it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    If you have the factory 8k/disc brakes I have they can be outfitted with antilocks. The reductor ring and sensor bracket is there for it.
    When I first looked at the hubs after getting the trailer, I saw the reductor ring. Do you know of a source for a complete kit for the upgrade? Now that I think about it, I wonder how one would go about checking the operation. With my truck, I find an icy parking lot and hold the brake pedal. I’m not sure my cajones are big enough to try that with a 17K lb RV.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t think about the lag time. I have no experience with electric drum brakes. The controller should be able to pulse the magnets quickly enough, but I can see how the way drum brakes engage and disengage could cause a problem.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    When I first looked at the hubs after getting the trailer, I saw the reductor ring. Do you know of a source for a complete kit for the upgrade? Now that I think about it, I wonder how one would go about checking the operation. With my truck, I find an icy parking lot and hold the brake pedal. I’m not sure my cajones are big enough to try that with a 17K lb RV.
    They are Dexter brakes, and actually appear to be good. Quad piston calipers. I would start with a call to Dexter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just returned home from a trip with my 346FLSR and had a catastrophic failure on 2 of the 4 brakes. The other 2 need 2 new pads the other 2 are completely shot...drums, hardware and shoes. My dealer has jumped right in along with GD and Curt. I actually had no idea that it had ABS. Has anyone else have a failure like this?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast