IMO, LT tires are a a better choice, if and only if, they will handle the load. An E-rated LT tire isn't rated to carry the load of an E-rated ST tire. ST tires don't have to meet the stringent testing requirements of an LT tire. Now this is only my opinion, but an LT tire with stiff sidewalls will not build up as much heat as a flimsy ST tire, and, IMO of course, can be run at a lower pressure to allow for a better ride.

When I changed out my Carlisle ST tires several years ago, I replaced them with, at the time LT-rated Sailun tires. I could easily sit on the Sailun tires unmounted, but the Carlisle tires would in no way, shape, or form hold any weight to speak of at all, due to the flimsy sidewalls. Full disclosure: the Sailun's were G-rated LT tires, and the Carlisle's were E-rated ST tires, but both were rated to carry the same weight. I ran those Sailun tires for over 6 years, and they still looked very good. Two of the Carlisle tires blew out in less than 2 years, and 8,000 miles. But these tires were from the era of the "China Bomb" tires.

Anyway, this is all JMO.