User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most half tons can TOW 10,000 lbs, can they “control” them though. That’s where the payload capacity comes in. Go down a 6% grade for 6 miles or so and the real imposters come out.

Most 1500 series trucks , and yes that’s what Tundra is also are at their limits or over them at 7000 lbs.

For longevity why pick a TV which will wear out your tow vehicle more quickly because it’s at its upper limit. Smaller brakes, alternators, cooling capacities, gear ratio in most cases over a 2500 series truck. For safety of my family I usually pick things that don’t push the envelope.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of information being thrown at you here. In general, I would weigh the experience of people with similar trucks much more heavily (no pun intended) than just looking at payload numbers.

Anybody can do payload calculations but it really doesn’t tell you all that much about how something will tow in the real world. There are too many other variables.
    Last edited by Easycamper; 05-30-2022 at 08:58 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Easycamper View Post
    A lot of information being thrown at you here. In general, I would weigh the experience of people with similar trucks much more heavily (no pun intended) than just looking at payload numbers.

Anybody can do payload calculations but it really doesn’t tell you all that much about how something will tow in the real world. There are too many other variables.
    Many of us with 3/4 or 1 ton trucks have had experience with 1/2 ton truck previously, where others with 1/2 ton trucks rarely have 3/4 ton or one ton experience. It is rare to see a person with a 3/4 ton truck downsize to a 1/2ton model.

Most of us know that towing capacity means zero when it come to stopping or load. Most of us larger truck owners know the most important factor is payload capacity makes the big difference. While lots of stuff gets thrown around I agree with one thing you said. Take advice from those who have had BOTH size trucks. Do you want to worry is your trailer is over the upper limit or super close to it. Personally I don’t.

Lastly if you get in an accident and are suspected of being over payload limit you could POTENTIALLY be held liable. I talk from experience as I am a PT insurance adjuster.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Many of us with 3/4 or 1 ton trucks have had experience with 1/2 ton truck previously, where others with 1/2 ton trucks rarely have 3/4 ton or one ton experience. It is rare to see a person with a 3/4 ton truck downsize to a 1/2ton model.

Most of us know that towing capacity means zero when it come to stopping or load. Most of us larger truck owners know the most important factor is payload capacity makes the big difference. While lots of stuff gets thrown around I agree with one thing you said. Take advice from those who have had BOTH size trucks. Do you want to worry is your trailer is over the upper limit or super close to it. Personally I don’t.

Lastly if you get in an accident and are suspected of being over payload limit you could POTENTIALLY be held liable. I talk from experience as I am a PT insurance adjuster.
    Great so if you have experience with a similar truck then I think that’s really useful to the OP.

Actually people downsize all the time. I downsized from a Ram 2500 Cummins to an F-150, towing my previous trailer. I’ve seen at least one person here recently who went from F-250 to F-150. Half-tons are much more capable than they used to be, and driving a HD pickup around all the time for the sake of a few camping trips per year isn’t for everybody.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I upgraded from my Tundra to the RAM 3500 in my signature. Yes it was nicer to pull with the Cummins and a bit more stability. I will say though that with cross winds and transport truck suck, I was disappointed that I still had much of that. Listening to people on here I thought it would be pretty much eliminated with the 3500 but it wasn't with the same trailer and setup properly. Never had any sway, towing or stopping issues with either Tundra or the RAM 3500. I will say though that the 3500 with the recent 5th wheel has eliminated that, at least on the first couple of tows. Different animal than what the OP is looking to tow.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My half ton does a pretty decent job of towing my 2600RB. I just came back from a 10 day trip to the SoCal coast which included towing through high winds, steep grades, and all the stuff that's supposed to be scary about towing an RV. I got terrible fuel economy going into a 30 MPH wind on the way out West, but got excellent fuel economy with a similar wind on the way back. On the way there, I dropped the speed to 55 MPH to try to save a little gas along I-8 once we got over 4k' of elevation and the wind really started whipping. On the way home, at 68 MPH in AZ, I was averaging 11 MPG. That was nice.

I'm right near my payload limit with my setup, but with the WDH bars cranked up to their max, I'm actually adding weight to the front axle slightly. I do experience wind movement and truck suck, but you get that with a heavier TV too. I also read that I'd have issues with a half ton braking on 7% grades, but I've found that to be a complete non-issue. I've done several long downhill 6-7% grade runs and never had to touch the brakes at all with my truck automatically applying engine braking. Modern half tons have huge discs on all four corners.

I don't think anything longer or heavier would be advisable for MY half ton setup, which sounds similar to yours (I have 9100 lbs towing, but more payload than you). I'd want a bit longer wheelbase if towing a longer TT.

But I'm not rushing out to buy a heavier truck with current prices. I'm very impressed with what my half ton with the wimpy 5.3L Ecotec has been able to do in the mountainous, windy southwest.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The variation between half ton trucks is quite significant and needs to be taken into consideration. For example, a base V6 super crew F150 has a tow capacity rating of 5000lbs which is significantly less than a 3.5L EB super crew with max tow package. With my truck, I feel like the 2600RB, 2500RL, 2400BH is as big as I am comfortable going. The 2670MK and 2800BH put me too close to the rated limits. I tow a 2600RB and it tows it very well and has never felt unstable and would likely tow a larger trailer but I want to consider the wear on the vehicle as well. How much stress does towing add to the engine, transmission, suspension, and brakes? It is also always better to have too much truck than not enough so keeping under the rated limits helps from wearing out the vehicle too.

For reference, my truck is rated for conventional towing of 9000lbs and has a payload of 1963lbs.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick05 View Post
    The variation between half ton trucks is quite significant and needs to be taken into consideration. For example, a base V6 super crew F150 has a tow capacity rating of 5000lbs which is significantly less than a 3.5L EB super crew with max tow package. With my truck, I feel like the 2600RB, 2500RL, 2400BH is as big as I am comfortable going. The 2670MK and 2800BH put me too close to the rated limits. I tow a 2600RB and it tows it very well and has never felt unstable and would likely tow a larger trailer but I want to consider the wear on the vehicle as well. How much stress does towing add to the engine, transmission, suspension, and brakes? It is also always better to have too much truck than not enough so keeping under the rated limits helps from wearing out the vehicle too.

For reference, my truck is rated for conventional towing of 9000lbs and has a payload of 1963lbs.
    Our 2500RL is between 7400 and 8000 lbs every time I’ve weighed her. That equates to 1250 on the hitch using the industry standard of 16%.

With your 1963 payload you have 700 lbs to play with in the truck. Two average people 300 lbs your are down to 400 lbs left. Add a few camping chairs, clothes , maybe a generator in the truck bed or cab or even another person and now you are near or over it’s limit of 1963 Right where you made the good argument you didn’t want to be.

Our 2500 Ram has 3300 payload capacity. Plenary of spare room to not overtax the vehicle and shorten its life.

With the vehicle you have and the models you mentioned you at at the upper end of its limit if not exceeding it no matter how it feels and how easy it is to tow. Try your 2600 with a 2500 series one day, you will see the fiffrrence
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2500RL is between 7400 and 8000 lbs every time I’ve weighed her. That equates to 1250 on the hitch using the industry standard of 16%.

With your 1963 payload you have 700 lbs to play with in the truck. Two average people 300 lbs your are down to 400 lbs left. Add a few camping chairs, clothes , maybe a generator in the truck bed or cab or even another person and now you are near or over it’s limit of 1963 Right where you made the good argument you didn’t want to be.

Our 2500 Ram has 3300 payload capacity. Plenary of spare room to not overtax the vehicle and shorten its life.

With the vehicle you have and the models you mentioned you at at the upper end of its limit if not exceeding it no matter how it feels and how easy it is to tow. Try your 2600 with a 2500 series one day, you will see the fiffrrence
    While a 2500 would certainly be better, it's not as simple as just taking 16% of trailer weight and saying you're adding that to the truck. That 1250 lbs once WDH is engaged and set up properly is probably more like 800-900 lbs against the truck's payload with the rest born by the trailer axles. A trip to the truck scales with the WDH engaged will show what I mean. Yes, technically the tongue weight is 1250, but it's not all payload.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between myself and my brother in law we’ve been “shortening the life” of the 2001 Ram 1500 in my signature for 21 years now.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast