User Tag List

Thread: Dehumidifier

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dehumidifier

As I have read the temperature changes in an RV cause condensation to build up. Would it be smart to run a dehumidifier inside it? I am thinking mostly while it is sitting between uses.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run one when we camp during the early and late season. When we have to run the furnace. It's a smaller one, room size.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We run a couple of these when not camping: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...18?recordNum=1 Of course, need 110v.

We've also used these if 110V is not available (just recharge in house): https://www.eva-dry.com/product/e-50...-dehumidifier/
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We carry and use a rather large compressor type (GE - 22 pt. I think) dehumidifier. The goal is to keep the relative humidity in the rig between 40 and 60% - which it does well. Having dual pane windows, we don't have a problem with condensation on the windows, but high humidity can contribute to mold growth, problems with laminated wood products, and a number of other things. Other things to pay attention to are running the exhaust fan in the bathroom after showers long enough to evaporate the condensation on the bathroom mirror (too long and it will just pull in moist air from outside) and running one or both of the exhaust fans in the living area when cooking or boiling water. (Remember, the byproducts of an open propane flame are carbon dioxide and water - will add a lot of humidity to the inside air.) These requirements mean we end up using the dehumidifier whenever the ACs aren't running (they are great dehumidifiers) and we aren't in the Southwest (where relative humidity can be as low as 10% anyway!). We had it out and running a few days ago during cool, rainy weather in Iowa and Illinois. It pulled about a gallon of water out of the air per 24 hours and things were much more comfortable inside.

Factoid: adult humans exhale about 12 oz. of water in an eight-hour night while sleeping... per person. That's a fair bit of humidity in the bedroom at night.

Dealing with dehumidification is different if aren't in your rig full-time and have to store it. Depending on what region of the continent you're in and whether or not you have power in storage, you may have to take several approaches from desiccants to a dehumidifier with a drain tube leading outside.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We carry and use a rather large compressor type (GE - 22 pt. I think) dehumidifier. The goal is to keep the relative humidity in the rig between 40 and 60% - which it does well. Having dual pane windows, we don't have a problem with condensation on the windows, but high humidity can contribute to mold growth, problems with laminated wood products, and a number of other issues. Other things to pay attention to are running the exhaust fan in the bathroom after showers long enough to evaporate the condensation on the bathroom mirror (too long and it will just pull in moist air from outside) and running one or both of the exhaust fans in the living area when cooking or boiling water. (Remember, the byproducts of an open propane flame are carbon dioxide and water - will add a lot of humidity to the inside air.) These requirements mean we end up using the dehumidifier whenever the ACs aren't running (they are great dehumidifiers) and we aren't in the Southwest (where relative humidity can be as low as 10% anyway!). We had it out and running a few days ago during cool, rainy weather in Iowa and Illinois. It pulled about a gallon of water out of the air per 24 hours and things were much more comfortable inside.

Factoid: adult humans exhale about 12 oz. of water in an eight-hour night while sleeping... per person. That's a fair bit of humidity in the bedroom at night.

Dealing with dehumidification is different if aren't in your rig full-time and have to store it. Depending on what region of the continent you're in and whether or not you have power in storage, you may have to take several approaches from desiccants to a dehumidifier with a drain tube leading outside.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We carry and use a rather large compressor type (GE - 22 pt. I think) dehumidifier. The goal is to keep the relative humidity in the rig between 40 and 60% - which it does well. Having dual pane windows, we don't have a problem with condensation on the windows, but high humidity can contribute to mold growth, problems with laminated wood products, and a number of other issues. Other things to pay attention to are running the exhaust fan in the bathroom after showers long enough to evaporate the condensation on the bathroom mirror (too long and it will just pull in moist air from outside) and running one or both of the exhaust fans in the living area when cooking or boiling water. (Remember, the byproducts of an open propane flame are carbon dioxide and water - will add a lot of humidity to the inside air.) These requirements mean we end up using the dehumidifier whenever the ACs aren't running (they are great dehumidifiers) and we aren't in the Southwest (where relative humidity can be as low as 10% anyway!). We had it out and running a few days ago during cool, rainy weather in Iowa and Illinois. It pulled about a gallon of water out of the air per 24 hours and things were much more comfortable inside.

Rob
    So important you said it twice I think I am in between the two suggestions. What I have learned on this forum is there are a bunch of people with very large RVs. I think I need something in between the two suggestions. I have the 231rk. If in the camper, the AC deals with humidity on the hot days and heater on the cold. But I see people do use them so I am not asking a stupid question which I am always concerned about.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    So important you said it twice I think I am in between the two suggestions. What I have learned on this forum is there are a bunch of people with very large RVs. I think I need something in between the two suggestions. I have the 231rk. If in the camper, the AC deals with humidity on the hot days and heater on the cold. But I see people do use them so I am not asking a stupid question which I am always concerned about.
    The furnace does not have any effect on humidity. Warming the air only increases the amount of moisture the air can hold in vapor form before condensing (hence the term "relative humidity").

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The furnace does not have any effect on humidity. Warming the air only increases the amount of moisture the air can hold in vapor form before condensing (hence the term "relative humidity").

Rob
    Ok, I get the general idea. I will look around at the different options. The other items suggested just didn't seem "right" when I was looking at them.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the one we got. Compact and works ok. Not as good as the bigger units but it removes water.
    Pro Breeze Dehumidifier Small, 2200 Cubic Feet (220 sq ft) Coverage for High Humidity in Home, Kitchen, Bedroom, Basement, RV, Office and Garage, Compact and Portable with Auto Shut Off https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01HXVUT7C/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE