User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Battery options

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I disagree that it does not matter which terminal you connect the camper to in a paralleled battery configuration.

In a study on paralleled batteries, (sited elsewhere in the forum) it was determined that if the load (camper) was connected to a single battery, then that battery received the bulk of the voltage drop associated with the load. Conversely, if one terminal from the load was attached to the battery at the front of a battery bank and the other terminal from the load was attached to the battery at the end of the battery bank, each battery in the bank shared the load more evenly (not perfectly, but more evenly). The best method to connect multiple batteries in parallel is to attach each battery to common buss bars and attach the load to the bus bars.

In the OP's situation, it would be acceptable to attach the positive lead (from the camper) to one battery and the negative lead (from the camper) to the other battery.
    I never said it was unacceptable to attach the positive lead (from the camper) to one battery and the negative lead (from the camper) to the other battery. I said it didn't matter.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    I never said it was unacceptable to attach the positive lead (from the camper) to one battery and the negative lead (from the camper) to the other battery. I said it didn't matter.
    And I never said it was unacceptable, I simply said that "I disagree that it does not matter" and I explained my reasons why I disagreed. I apologize that you interpreted my reasons why to mean that it was "Unacceptable". Neither my tone nor my words indicated the term "Unacceptable".
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I never said it was unacceptable, I simply said that "I disagree that it does not matter" and I explained my reasons why I disagreed. I apologize that you interpreted my reasons why to mean that it was "Unacceptable". Neither my tone nor my words indicated the term "Unacceptable".
    No need to apologize, everyone is entitled to an opinion. I responded based on your conclusion "In the OP's situation, it would be acceptable to attach the positive lead (from the camper) to one battery and the negative lead (from the camper) to the other battery."

When you configure a battery bank in parallel and daisy-chain all the positive posts and daisy-chain all the negative posts those two daisy-chains are essentially busbars. Any resistance caused by terminal connectors would be minimal and not enough to impact the performance of the battery bank.

BTW ... You never posted the study you mentioned and it would be useful to link it if you are going to reference it and be a basis for your argument.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are considering going with AGM batteries, I would strongly urge you to consider upgrading to Lithium batteries instead. There are some very good LiFePO4 batteries available from Amazon with very decent prices that will provide you with better service than a pair of AGM batteries.

Specifically, there are several 100ah batteries between $359 and $399 that you can just drop in to replace your existing battery. One of the better battery brands is Ampere Time, this battery has been torn down by Will Prose on YouTube and he had very good things to say about the build quality.

As far as you needing to upgrade your Converter, since you have a newer coach, your Converter may be "lithium Capable" and all you have to do is flick a switch. If not, your Solar Charge Controller is definitely Lithium Capable and all you have to do is flick a switch.

So, in your case, (if your Converter is not "Lithium Capable") your Converter will be able to charge your new Lithium battery to around 60% (which is more energy storage than you currently have) and your Solar System will kick in to charge your new Lithium battery to 100%. Consequently, there is no compelling reason to upgrade your Converter right away.

There are however several advantages to upgrading to Lithium now instead of in the future.

Lithium batteries are just so, so, much better than any Lead Acid battery...

They Charge Faster

They weigh less

They Last Longer

You can discharge them down to 0% if needed (the internal BMS will protect the internal batteries from being damaged by a deep discharge).

They are much cheaper in the long run because you don't have to constantly replace them (try replacing your Lawn Mower battery with a Lithium battery next time).

The list of advantages goes on and on...
    Oh, this changes everything then. I am not sure there is a switch because I have puny TT and not a rolling house (that will come later). But I will look and see later.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to try to sum this up from all the data I got here.

I am going to go with a LiFePO4 battery. I checked quickly and the Solar can be switched to the different battery types. Not sure about the non solar side but I will look later.

It is fine to use a LiFePO4 even if you cannot charge it to 100% since it will not harm the battery. .

FLA cannot be drained below 50% because it shortens its life. AGM batteries can be drained lower but still has the shortened lifespan. LiFePO4 can go to 0% without damage.

FLA require maintenance whereas the others do not.

That about cover it?
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Going to try to sum this up from all the data I got here.

I am going to go with a LiFePO4 battery. I checked quickly and the Solar can be switched to the different battery types. Not sure about the non solar side but I will look later.

It is fine to use a LiFePO4 even if you cannot charge it to 100% since it will not harm the battery. .

FLA cannot be drained below 50% because it shortens its life. AGM batteries can be drained lower but still has the shortened lifespan. LiFePO4 can go to 0% without damage.

FLA require maintenance whereas the others do not.

That about cover it?
    You might add cost comparison.
    For me with a factory installed low performance solar system the cost of LiFePO4 was not practical, especially when the converter/charger was not LiFePO4 compatible. This is why I went with the two AGM golf cart batteries.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    USAF Veteran

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    You might add cost comparison.
    For me with a factory installed low performance solar system the cost of LiFePO4 was not practical, especially when the converter/charger was not LiFePO4 compatible. This is why I went with the two AGM golf cart batteries.
    For me it was more of what can and cannot work. Cost is not a thing in this case.

As I stated before, this is not for boondocking. It is more of a just in case thing. If something breaks on the trailer where I have to leave it for an extended period of time without shore power I want to feel safe that the food will not spoil. Or if we are traveling and have to pull over for the night that we have power to keep things going.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have previously read, maybe on this thread, that lithium batteries prefer being in temperatures that humans like. As far as having good longevity with lithium, if the battery is mounted on the front of a travel trailer and outdoor temperatures are up to 105F (in the shade) in the summer, while camper is not in use but battery box in the sun, and as low as -10F in the winter (rare occasions for both), can the battery be left in the traditional battery box on the front of the trailer all year long without significant temperature related issues?

If TT batteries were mounted in the trailer they still will get quite hot and cold. Of coarse not as hot as in the sun but will cool off less at overnight. The low temperatures might be very roughly similar whether battery is mounted inside or outside.

If storage temperatures are a concern, what is practical for when to remove batteries when camping on and off throughout the year? Fortunately at least 100Ah lithium's are not real heavy.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimtheToolMan View Post
    I have previously read, maybe on this thread, that lithium batteries prefer being in temperatures that humans like. As far as having good longevity with lithium, if the battery is mounted on the front of a travel trailer and outdoor temperatures are up to 105F (in the shade) in the summer, while camper is not in use but battery box in the sun, and as low as -10F in the winter (rare occasions for both), can the battery be left in the traditional battery box on the front of the trailer all year long without significant temperature related issues?

If TT batteries were mounted in the trailer they still will get quite hot and cold. Of coarse not as hot as in the sun but will cool off less at overnight. The low temperatures might be very roughly similar whether battery is mounted inside or outside.

If storage temperatures are a concern, what is practical for when to remove batteries when camping on and off throughout the year? Fortunately at least 100Ah lithium's are not real heavy.
    The biggest concern with Lithium (LiFePo4) batteries is that they not be charged if the internal temperature is at, or below, 32 degrees. They can still be used in cold Temps, just not charged. Consequently, many people install their LiFePo4 batteries inside a heated hold, or even inside the living area (underneath the dining bench, or inside a closet). Installing these batteries inside the living area is safe because LiFePo4 batteries do not produce any dangerous gasses like lead acid batteries do.

Most LiFePo4 batteries have an internal thermal sensor that will prevent charging when the Temps are below freezing, however, if there is even a chance you could find yourself camping in cold Temps, I would recommend providing thermal protection to your batteries either by placing them inside a heated area, or by purchasing batteries that have internal heating elements (you can also build an insulated battery box and install an external heating pad , which is much cheaper than buying the ones with internal heating elements).

When it comes to storage, unless you have Solar, or can plug in your camper, you would not need to worry about charging in the cold. Regardless, I would recommend a battery cut off switch that completely disconnects the battery from the coach during storage.

If you are going to remove your batteries for storage, you would be reasonably safe storing them on a shelf in an unheated garage (not on the floor) unless your area gets extremely cold (read your manufacturers temperature recommendations for cold storage) then you would need to keep them in a heated, or semi heated space.

As far as keeping LiFePo4 batteries on the tongue of your travel trailer goes, it is safe to keep them there as long as you keep in mind the limitations regarding charging them during freezing Temps. The ambient air temperatures will not harm the batteries because air temps are within the manufacturers specified operating temps.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 05-27-2022 at 09:39 AM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about hot temps? I hear all kinds of talk about the cold, do these batteries have any limitations say above 90 or 95f? Where I store my rig in the summer it is very typical to get to 110f.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast