User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SpaceX's Starlink launches $135-a-month internet service for RVs

Hey y'all! I was doing a little research for internet access when we go full time. So we bought Starlink to test out here where we are renting. I'll say that I'm impressed so far. It's held up for VoIP, streaming, video conferencing, and VPN access to my work, all at the same time.

Here is the link to the article about it: Business Insider: SpaceX's Starlink launches $135-a-month internet for RVs. https://www.businessinsider.com/spac...service-2022-5
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Hey y'all! I was doing a little research for internet access when we go full time. So we bought Starlink to test out here where we are renting. I'll say that I'm impressed so far. It's held up for VoIP, streaming, video conferencing, and VPN access to my work, all at the same time.

Here is the link to the article about it: Business Insider: SpaceX's Starlink launches $135-a-month internet for RVs. https://www.businessinsider.com/spac...service-2022-5
    I like the option to pause service during off season. The regular service doesn't allow you to do that. The starlink availability map is a little confusing due to the color scheme. I'm still using ATT data only plan with an outside antenna, its cheaper than Starlink and my speeds are very good everywhere i've been. Starlink is definitely an option for RVer's in the west. This will only get better over time.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, this is a heck of an improvement as far as I'm concerned. The pause start is great for non full timers. We've been on the wait list for residential since Feb 2021. I received the email from them yesterday afternoon and by dinner I had it ordered. Had to use a different email address to order and that created a new account. I'm going to keep on the wait list and if and/or when that comes through, I may order that system and then flip it on Ebay for a nice profit. Apparently the internet blew up through the night. People were reporting their site was crashing.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The upside to the RV service is that there is no waitlist to get the system. The downside to the RV service is that it is second priority to permanently connected customers.
    From the Starlink website, "Network resources are always de-prioritized for Starlink for RVs users compared to other Starlink services, resulting in degraded service and slower speeds in congested areas and during peak hours. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of the service are not guaranteed. Service degradation will be most extreme in “Waitlist” areas on the Starlink Availability Map during peak hours."
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R
    Factory Solar, Factory Disk Brakes, Heat Pump

2017 Reflection 29RS (Sold)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised Musk calls 250mb high speed?
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is being discussed over on the Escapees forums, too - including by several folks who have Starlink already. The fine print on the Starlink web site lists all the restrictions and prioritizing for Starlink RV subscribers. One Hughes Net user said that the Starlink caveats and slow speeds during storms makes his Hughes Net setup look pretty good. With the already-saturated cells (wait listed) and weather interference, it doesn't sound like any better deal for us wanderers than my grandfathered unlimited VZW hotspot plan (for $50/month!). I'm sure things will change down the road (no pun intended).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    This is being discussed over on the Escapees forums, too - including by several folks who have Starlink already. The fine print on the Starlink web site lists all the restrictions and prioritizing for Starlink RV subscribers. One Hughes Net user said that the Starlink caveats and slow speeds during storms makes his Hughes Net setup look pretty good. With the already-saturated cells (wait listed) and weather interference, it doesn't sound like any better deal for us wanderers than my grandfathered unlimited VZW hotspot plan (for $50/month!). I'm sure things will change down the road (no pun intended).

Rob
    Unfortunately, I don't have an unlimited grandfathered cell data plan. [emoji3525]
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had just ordered Starlink a couple of weeks ago and received it as they were announcing the RV service. I've not used Starlink extensively, but in my deprioritized backyard I'm getting 75-100Mb down and that seems pretty good. My backyard is not my registered address so it should be deprioritized.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2795.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	40869

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get 82 Mbps with 1 bar on att 5g, with 4 lines of 50gb hot spot each. Doesn’t seem feasible to do anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vacation cabin recently had Starlink available. About the same T-Mobile opened the area to 5G cellular internet. We got the at-Mobile service and for $40/mo after Autopay and Senior discount were getting 230Mbps down and 25 Mbps upload. No contract required.

We took the T-Mobile box with us when camping and got similar speeds. Not all areas get 5G.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4B0D5A56-E1C1-4680-B2A4-CCCC46237FC8.png  
    Last edited by Jerryr; 05-28-2022 at 10:29 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast