Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2500RL Manual Slide Out operation

Hey all,

We have had our 2022 2500RL for 2 months now, been out 5 times and so far love it

This trip started with the slide making a fairly loud bang when being pushed out about half way, there were not blocks or anything, it did go out just fine after that.

Subsequent push outs didn't go as smoothly as before, even stopped mid way on one attempt, in she came and out she went, slow but did make it

Until 2 days ago, left side goes out about 6" and the right side doesn't move...

Tried manual override on the slide controller as well as manually syncing, still no luck

Swapped the motor 1 and motor 2 wires on the slide controller (now out is in and in is out, no big deal) same symptoms, left side goes out, right doesn't move. This tells me it's either the mother or the shaft is frozen and won't drive the right side. I can't push it out manually like several youtube videos say you should be able to do once the motors are disconnected...

Our printed manual says we can disconnect the battery and use the provided tool to manually push out and retract the slide. The tool should be inserted into a 1" access hole in the skirt opposite side of the RV from the slide, the pic shows just below the furnace exhaust...

We have no such access hole, anywhere on the RV.

Anyone know where it is or how to access the manual gear box to manually push out/bring in the slide?

Thanks, Rick

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The slide as described with a controller and two motors must be a Schwintek slide. These slides do not have a manual crank or gearbox. Manual for these Schwintek slides is to physically disconnect the motors at the top coupling of the vertical drive shafts and push the slide in and out using the strength of all the neighbors in the area.

Before doing that, there is a procedure to override the sync logic and just run the motors. Which may help with getting the slide to move, or even fix things. Suggest you search for Schwintek slide on YouTube for several good tutorials, some even from Lippert.

Hopefully it is just out of sync and can be easily reset. If not, seems the most common issue is pinched or frayed cabling followed by motor failure. More rare would be broken gears, bent racks, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Yes it's a Schwintek, apparently we don't have enough neighbors since we can't push either side. We've tried the manual override as well as the in/out method to try and re-sync, the right side just doesn't even move, don't believe it's a sync issue

I have looked at several videos and they show the manual gearbox, in fact one video show to use either the crank handle on the outside or in some cases to use a socket on the end of the gearbox under the RV, I have neither. Apparently you are right, the Schwintek doesn't have such a thing

Sure glad we have 2 doors or the RV would be useless

Thanks, Rick

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be to the point of pulling the “not running” motor out and see if it works “on the bench” so to speak. Or, maybe time for that mobile tech guy that has spare motors and cables in his van and all sorts of skills in his hands. Also a good inspection of the vertical drive shaft, gears, racks, bearings and such. Most of which you can’t see ‘cuz it’s behind the rubber seal. Especially hard to get to with the slide retracted.

Hang in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick update

Had a mobile tech out today, the controller, motor and the wiring are all fine... the gear at the bottom was 30 degrees out of square, the teeth on the slide rails were a bit chewed up... he got it working, not great but working so at least for now we can finish our trip hopefully with a working slide

He spoke to Lippert many times and it appears both H-Channels need to be replaced and installed closer to tolerances. One is a bit too far out and both appear to be a bit too low to the slide.

Grand Design approved for me to pay the bill and they will reimburse me.

Once home, it will go to the dealer to get the full mechanism replaced...

One thing he noted was the leveling process can get the slides messed up. His recommendation is to level the RV, push the slide out, then set the stabilizers... he said if the stabilizers are set before the slide out, it can affect how the mechanism works... I can't say one way or the other but... it was one techs opinion...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our new 2500RL (2022 holdover-bought last month) slide lasted for 4 cycles before failing. The back portion out raced the front. Now at the dealership for repair. The technician tried to operate the slide and stopped after hearing a popping sound. He also told me that Schwintek has a recall for faulty parts. I hope Toy4Rick had good luck with his repair. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Ranger View Post
    Our new 2500RL (2022 holdover-bought last month) slide lasted for 4 cycles before failing. The back portion out raced the front. Now at the dealership for repair. The technician tried to operate the slide and stopped after hearing a popping sound. He also told me that Schwintek has a recall for faulty parts. I hope Toy4Rick had good luck with his repair. Has anyone else had similar problems?
    Welcome to the forum @Grand Ranger, I see this is your first post. There have been quite a few threads on the Schwinteck slides (https://www.google.com/search?q=mygr...hrome&ie=UTF-8).
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S