User Tag List

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loose front cap on lower attachment point

About 1500 miles into our trip and happen to look in the rear view mirror and saw something flapping. Looks like one screw came loose holding up the low point center right portion of the fiberglass cap on the pax side of the wings. Can only see 4 screws from the outside going up but it appears like there are other 'objects' sticking down that should attach to a molding insert covering the fiberglass. Anyone had this pop loose? Pictures below.
    Thanks,
    John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loose fiberglass cap joint1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	40798

Name:	Loose fiberglass cap joint2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	40799
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those interested or having the same issue, we went to the local GD dealer in South Dakota to ask how this was attached. Seems it is screwed in place and all the screws broke on this side. Service tech went out to show us how it was attached on a new Solitude only to find out that the screws were broken on their new unit on the lot. He gave us some screws and we bought a tube of sealant. Trick will be to see if I can extract the broken screws.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I saw another recent post on this happening but don't recall where.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I think I saw another recent post on this happening but don't recall where.
    Well it was interesting to see how brittle the existing screws must have been and that most snapped of at the head - makes me wonder if the quality of the screws were lacking or the cap was stressed in an unusual way. One snapped off too high up to remove so that one didn't get replaced but vice grips got the others. Hopefully will hold until we get home. A little disconcerting to see a brand new rig on the lot with the same problem.

Name:	broken screws.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	40864
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Screw quality has been a problem off and on, usually they snap off in other trim areas. Makes one wonder if the Amish builders know how to adjust the drill properly so they aren't over torqued
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have only had that problem on the slides with screws that were driven in at an angle so the screw head is not flush with the panel. My theory = water gets in behind the screw head and rusts the shank, with torque stress the heads pop off like popcorn. On our rig every one of the screws that did this has had the screw shank rusted. I do a walk around every couple days and check for missing screw heads. Of course we have also had screws stripped out as well from too much torque.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    We have only had that problem on the slides with screws that were driven in at an angle so the screw head is not flush with the panel. My theory = water gets in behind the screw head and rusts the shank, with torque stress the heads pop off like popcorn. On our rig every one of the screws that did this has had the screw shank rusted. I do a walk around every couple days and check for missing screw heads. Of course we have also had screws stripped out as well from too much torque.
    Quite possibly true - every one of the broken screws had evidence of rust on both sides where the break occurred. And some were driven in at angles - one was driven into vapor. I've opened a case with GD and told GD I didn't feel that the issue is permanently resolved since I could not extract the remains of one of the screws. Leaves a little bump on the molding but I did seal it with new caulk (that was noted as missing on that side during delivery inspection but I did bring a tube with me and planned to reseal it during trip). Was able to screw in a replacement a little but you can see the bump in the molding. Hope that lasts until at least North Carolina - son-in-law has a full set of tools I can borrow.

Name:	bulge.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	40865

I must say the dealership service folks here in Sioux Falls (Pleasureland) were very helpful for an out-of-towner. I think if I had the rig with me at the time they would have fixed it on the spot.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Quite possibly true - every one of the broken screws had evidence of rust on both sides where the break occurred. And some were driven in at angles] snip

I must say the dealership service folks here in Sioux Falls (Pleasureland) were very helpful for an out-of-towner. I think if I had the rig with me at the time they would have fixed it on the spot.
    Glad you found a good dealership. I keep a supply of Philips stainless steel screws to replace. Some of the screw shanks I can't get out, I seal up and drill a new hole right beside the broken one and use a little sealer on the new screw. Haven't had one pop in awhile.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Glad you found a good dealership. I keep a supply of Philips stainless steel screws to replace. Some of the screw shanks I can't get out, I seal up and drill a new hole right beside the broken one and use a little sealer on the new screw. Haven't had one pop in awhile.
    I carry some no. 8 stainless but I wasn't really sure what the screws were going into and I've had problems with them snapping and they are from Lowes and Ace. In this case felt like solid metal and the screws the dealership gave me were self drilling but the one couldn't get through what I think was a metal frame. I left my drill bits at homes - not next trip.
    Last edited by ajg617; 05-30-2022 at 09:31 AM.
    Robin & John

2023 stays