User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I have had the Champion 3500w Dual Fuel for several years now and I highly recommend it. I have always run it on Propane and never plan to put gas in the tank. It easily runs my Camper with the Air Conditioning on.

The problem with "Finding out what would barely run the RV and go[ing] the next size up" is that you add extemporaneous weight that you have to lug around and you unnecessarily increase your fuel expense because you are not using the generator efficiently.

Going the next size up is fine for some things (like batteries) but up sizing a generator does not make any sense.
    Well, my though is that if a certain size could run the TT but it is pushing it to go the next up. If a 2200w will run it but you are pushing its capabilities I would think that going higher would be wise.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque
    Well, my though is that if a certain size could run the TT but it is pushing it to go the next up. If a 2200w will run it but you are pushing its capabilities I would think that going higher would be wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    My understanding is that if you have an inverter and use that to 'run' your RV, the generator is sized to the charging needs of the batteries. Getting a larger generator than the battery charging capabilities is not as efficient and will cost you in gas, the cost of a larger generator, and the extra weight penalty. I have a small 1500w generator that should run for a few hours to charge my lithium batteries and keep me going for a few days. At least that is what I'm hoping for.

Of course, if you are using the generator to 'run' the RV, then it would not apply.
    If you are running your Air Conditioner, you need to provide enough power for that Air Conditioner to operate. Otherwise, at the end of the day your batteries will be dead and you are going to be very hot.

Basically, you need a 3400/3500 Watt Inverter Generator to run your coach with one Air Conditioner running. If you are not running your Air Conditioning, then a single 2200 Watt generator (or smaller) will
    be enough to keep your batteries charged.
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 05-27-2022 at 02:41 PM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An RV A/C takes 1300-1500 watts to run. That is assuming you got a good soft start to kick it on. I'm certain my 3kw inverter will supply what I need. Sure, if the microwave is on, hair dryer, etc, then it probably will not work. There are limitations and a bit of common sense.

I still think you can get by with a smaller generator that could power up the batteries [with enough capacity] and keep you running most of the day with the A/C on. With the A/C on 24/7, probably not. But then again, I live in a place that you do not need A/C on much more than 4 hours. The generator could easily charge the batteries while the A/C is off and I suspect I could run the A/C without the generator for my daily A/C use. I'll be able to prove it to myself in a month or two.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    An RV A/C takes 1300-1500 watts to run. That is assuming you got a good soft start to kick it on. I'm certain my 3kw inverter will supply what I need. Sure, if the microwave is on, hair dryer, etc, then it probably will not work. There are limitations and a bit of common sense.

I still think you can get by with a smaller generator that could power up the batteries [with enough capacity] and keep you running most of the day with the A/C on. With the A/C on 24/7, probably not. But then again, I live in a place that you do not need A/C on much more than 4 hours. The generator could easily charge the batteries while the A/C is off and I suspect I could run the A/C without the generator for my daily A/C use. I'll be able to prove it to myself in a month or two.
    As you noted each person's camping style is different. I agree that you can probably get by just fine with your smaller generator, however, the smaller generator would not work for me because I live in FL and sometimes I need to run the Air Conditioner for most of the day and well into the night.

Please do come back to this post and let us know how things work out, worst case you will need to buy a bigger generator, and more batteries, and install/upgrade a Solar system, and buy a larger Inverter, and...
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do plan on getting solar. Due to personal issues [I'm just too darn busy and I would rather yell at myself for not doing it right] I will not be doing solar this year. This year, I will have 610AH of lithium batteries, a 100amp converter [lithium rated], and a 3k inverter. That should last several days without a generator and with a generator, plenty of days even with the A/C on.

I do understand not everyone lives in FL or the PNW so our advice may not work for everyone. This is the point I was trying to make. Not everyone needs a 3.5kw generator and not everyone can get by with a 2k generator. What are you needs and what is your battery capacity? Battery/Inverter can get you through the high demand times.
    Last edited by Butcher; 05-27-2022 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 4 year old iPro2500 Westinghouse fails to provide 15 amps. It's toast. Repair parts (stator) are not available.

Weighing in at 79 pounds, 3 year warranty, duel fuel (eliminates us carrying gas), and fits under my F250 bed cover, there is a Champion 200977 in my near future.

Just trying to coordinate delivery while we travel. Walmart has the best online price $699.99. Too bad it isn't in stock at the local WM stores.
    https://www.championpowerequipment.c...fuel-inverter/
    Last edited by Rivercityjeff; 05-28-2022 at 06:15 AM.
    Jeff and Mary
    2017 2600RB
    2022 F250 Lariat CC 6.7 w/ Max Tow
    Round Rock, (Donut Capital of Texas) <><

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a Firman 3650 inverter with the remote start...
    I've had it for a year now, and it has been giving us reliable service.
    It gets used about 4 hrs a month when we camp, and solar is too weak to keep ahead of the electrical loads.

We used it for 20hrs last week in the same storm that beat up Ottawa, and it was great.
    Quiet, and provided stable power at 122v, regardless of the load.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
    2021 Transcend 261bh
    2021 Ford F-150 3.5eb

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the push to eliminate fossil fuels Wash dc may make our generators illegal such as what California is trying to do which is outlawing fossil fuel generators and other tools that use fossil fuels by i believe 2030 if not sooner. There are solar generators out there that can run most rvs and cover homes for most items in a power outage. The best one out there is the Titan which is well reviewed by many. 3000 watt continuous with a 6000 surge and ability to add batteries. With 1000 to 2000 watts of solar panels this unit would run in most conditions for ever. But u can always have the honda or other small generator around for emergencies and to charge the batteries on the Titan when you have no sunny days for days on end. Expensive but something to think about for the future.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Can vouch for Champion. Our 3500w dual fuel inverter generator has been great, and they have had excellent customer service when I’ve had questions / the electric start battery died under warranty (still pull started no problem). I have a friend who also has nothing but good things to say about their 3100w champion inverter. Both have run our trailers with AC.

Second option is to buy two smaller generators that can be tied together. Use both when you need AC, only one when you don’t. Champion and others have this option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody have feedback or review on the WEN Generator 56380i? At $700 it would seem to be an option when considering a Predator or Champion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast