User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General Generator question

Ok, from what I read this is a fun topic so let me break down what I think I need and what it will be used for.

I want an Inverter generator. I am thinking 3500w.

I do not plan on boondocking.It would be used at home mostly when the power goes out. It would need to run the RV completely and if it is out for two long it would have to run our fridge and freezer in the house.

I am not sure on brands. I am scared of the reviews because I can't tell you how many junk items I have bought because the seller said, "Give me 5 stars and I will give you X".

Not a fan of Harbor Freight but am willing to listen. I have looked at Champion and Westinghouse. Just didn't want to fork out big bucks on something that gets used rarely.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get ready to get lots of different opinions. This subject has been hashed and closed many times. But here is what I have. 12 years I bought a champion 3500 regular generator on special for $300. Loud, heavy but it still starts on the second crank. SIL now has it and it just ran for 4 straight days due to the nasty storm that hit Ottawa. When we bought the RV I bought the the Firman 3300 with remote start from HomeDepot and love it. It even has the 30amp RV plug. It's been working flawlessly for the past 3 years. It might not put last past the Honda bought it cost only a fraction of the price. I love honda, I just couldn't see myself spending that much money on a geny for the RV. At home we have a Generac 20,000 watt automatic. It also has been working great for the past dozen year. A few thing to keep in mind. 3500w will run an entire 30amp RV but it's 70lbs or so and louder then a 2000w gen. The bigger the heavier and louder but they usually come with a bigger gas tank. The smaller 2000w are great to move around and a lot quieter but they also have a smaller gas tank. They can run a 30amp rig if you install a soft start for your AC. That is probably my next route. That's my 2 cents based on my experience and using a 30amp rig including AC.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Get ready to get lots of different opinions. This subject has been hashed and closed many times. But here is what I have. 12 years I bought a champion 3500 regular generator on special for $300. Loud, heavy but it still starts on the second crank. SIL now has it and it just ran for 4 straight days due to the nasty storm that hit Ottawa. When we bought the RV I bought the the Firman 3300 with remote start from HomeDepot and love it. It even has the 30amp RV plug. It's been working flawlessly for the past 3 years. It might not put last past the Honda bought it cost only a fraction of the price. I love honda, I just couldn't see myself spending that much money on a geny for the RV. At home we have a Generac 20,000 watt automatic. It also has been working great for the past dozen year. A few thing to keep in mind. 3500w will run an entire 30amp RV but it's 70lbs or so and louder then a 2000w gen. The bigger the heavier and louder but they usually come with a bigger gas tank. The smaller 2000w are great to move around and a lot quieter but they also have a smaller gas tank. They can run a 30amp rig if you install a soft start for your AC. That is probably my next route. That's my 2 cents based on my experience and using a 30amp rig including AC.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    I have been looking at some that are 4500. I assume the lack of responses is because this has been beat to death. Searching gives so many results most not pertaining to the info I need.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do want an Inverter correct? I can do the research myself.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harbor Frieght has come A LONG way. HF even carries Jackery products now. Your budget/comfort level is really the only determining factor.

Most common and most reliable (also most heavily reviewed) on order from most expensive to least:

Honda
    Champion
    Predator (Harbor Freight)

There are many brands and models out there and most will suffice. I have run dozens of brands of generators and the number 1 take away is almost any brand will last as long as it's maintained.

Brand loyalty a big player in this market. I will tell you that the Honda engines are going to have better efficiency, burn cleaner, and are slightly easier to maintain. But... is that worth double the cost? Up to you.

Just make sure you get your running watts calculations correct and buy the right model to match.

Full-time Traveling Family ,'21 Momentum 395MS-R, '21 F450 King, 2000watts solar, Dual Victron MP-II 12/3000 2 x 120v, 1220ah LiFePo4

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With all the emission controls on engines, I cannot imagine any one generator running cleaner than another one. Comparing apples to apples.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Honda 2000W gen and a Gernac 3500iq.
    I've had the 2000W for 10 years and it's been flawless.
    The Generac is only 1 year old but of course has been flawless.
    One thing about noise. I've ran the 2000W and the 3500iq right next to each other and the 3500iq is no louder and in fact IMO it's a touch quieter at idle.
    Out camping the 3500iq is much quieter. Reason being is that it barely revs up when running my 13.500AC. Most of the time it barely kicks off idle.
    The 2000W on the other hand can't run the AC and when charging the batteries it runs about 3/4 rpms which is way louder than the 3500iq.
    Think gas vs diesel when climbing a grade. The Generac just doesn't have to work very hard to do the same work.
    FWIW my son got a dual fuel Champion 4500W and had it wired to his home for emergency's. He's heard my 3500iq and couldn't believe how quiet it was.
    Doesn't sound like you need to worry about weight, but my 3500iq is heavy. Over 100lbs.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    I have a Honda 2000W gen and a Gernac 3500iq.
    I've had the 2000W for 10 years and it's been flawless.
    The Generac is only 1 year old but of course has been flawless.
    One thing about noise. I've ran the 2000W and the 3500iq right next to each other and the 3500iq is no louder and in fact IMO it's a touch quieter at idle.
    Out camping the 3500iq is much quieter. Reason being is that it barely revs up when running my 13.500AC. Most of the time it barely kicks off idle.
    The 2000W on the other hand can't run the AC and when charging the batteries it runs about 3/4 rpms which is way louder than the 3500iq.
    Think gas vs diesel when climbing a grade. The Generac just doesn't have to work very hard to do the same work.
    FWIW my son got a dual fuel Champion 4500W and had it wired to his home for emergency's. He's heard my 3500iq and couldn't believe how quiet it was.
    Doesn't sound like you need to worry about weight, but my 3500iq is heavy. Over 100lbs.
    I have been leaning towards the Champion but will look at the Harbor Freight one. And I do want to go a little overkill on it. Find out what would barely run the RV and go the next size up.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I have been leaning towards the Champion but will look at the Harbor Freight one. And I do want to go a little overkill on it. Find out what would barely run the RV and go the next size up.
    I have had the Champion 3500w Dual Fuel for several years now and I highly recommend it. I have always run it on Propane and never plan to put gas in the tank. It easily runs my Camper with the Air Conditioning on.

The problem with "Finding out what would barely run the RV and go[ing] the next size up" is that you add extemporaneous weight that you have to lug around and you unnecessarily increase your fuel expense because you are not using the generator efficiently.

Going the next size up is fine for some things (like batteries) but up sizing a generator does not make any sense.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is that if you have an inverter and use that to 'run' your RV, the generator is sized to the charging needs of the batteries. Getting a larger generator than the battery charging capabilities is not as efficient and will cost you in gas, the cost of a larger generator, and the extra weight penalty. I have a small 1500w generator that should run for a few hours to charge my lithium batteries and keep me going for a few days. At least that is what I'm hoping for.

Of course, if you are using the generator to 'run' the RV, then it would not apply.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast