User Tag List

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's your method when an unexpected interstate closure forces a re-route?

Just curious what folks rely on when coming across an unexpected road/interstate closure. In 2K miles this week, happened three times to us.

The first was multiple exits shut off of a closed interstate lane (19 miles of repaving along Lake Erie) including the exit to our overnight Harvest Host location. The 18 wheeler in front of us was not going to be denied exiting for a Love's fuel stop and let the flag-person know. He was waved off the highway and as I was signaling to go back into the traffic lane, was waved off as well. Didn't want to think what might be going into my tires.

The second, occurred on exit ramp in OH to get fuel. I was behind a truck and when he cleared the traffic light, the entrance we needed after fueling was closed due to an overturned truck and heavy equipment trailer. Garmin didn't recognize the issue. Google maps did, but doesn't know I was towing. Watched the trucks leaving Pilot and none were back-tracking up the interstate. Checked the Motor Carriers Road Atlas and looked at the route Google Maps proposed (bridge clearance involved) and there were no warnings for the County Road going under the interstate. Suffice to say we came to a dead stop at the underpass which had no markings and wife had to walk ahead as I inched forward with a line of traffic behind and passing on the double line. Barely cleared. Researched the bridge clearance that evening and it was stated as 13' 1" - not possible as we cleared it - barely. Looking back, not a good decision on my part.

The third was unexpected closure of I-29 south of Council Bluffs. Signs said thru traffic, 22 mile east on I-80. Trucks didn't go that way. Didn't trust Google and the Garmin tried to repeatedly turn me 180. Shut everything off and followed the signs.

Three different circumstances - only the last with posted re-route by the state. Interesting trip so far. No chance to pull off prior to any to start looking at alternatives.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Just curious what folks rely on when coming across an unexpected road/interstate closure. In 2K miles this week, happened three times to us.

The first was multiple exits shut off of a closed interstate lane (19 miles of repaving along Lake Erie) including the exit to our overnight Harvest Host location. The 18 wheeler in front of us was not going to be denied exiting for a Love's fuel stop and let the flag-person know. He was waved off the highway and as I was signaling to go back into the traffic lane, was waved off as well. Didn't want to think what might be going into my tires.

The second, occurred on exit ramp in OH to get fuel. I was behind a truck and when he cleared the traffic light, the entrance we needed after fueling was closed due to an overturned truck and heavy equipment trailer. Garmin didn't recognize the issue. Google maps did, but doesn't know I was towing. Watched the trucks leaving Pilot and none were back-tracking up the interstate. Checked the Motor Carriers Road Atlas and looked at the route Google Maps proposed (bridge clearance involved) and there were no warnings for the County Road going under the interstate. Suffice to say we came to a dead stop at the underpass which had no markings and wife had to walk ahead as I inched forward with a line of traffic behind and passing on the double line. Barely cleared. Researched the bridge clearance that evening and it was stated as 13' 1" - not possible as we cleared it - barely. Looking back, not a good decision on my part.

The third was unexpected closure of I-29 south of Council Bluffs. Signs said thru traffic, 22 mile east on I-80. Trucks didn't go that way. Didn't trust Google and the Garmin tried to repeatedly turn me 180. Shut everything off and followed the signs.

Three different circumstances - only the last with posted re-route by the state. Interesting trip so far. No chance to pull off prior to any to start looking at alternatives.
    Wow, I will say that is one time to have a CB radio in the truck so you can get updates from the truckers and follow where they are going. If you search Amazon, they have several handheld CB radios. We removed the permanent mount one in it rig since I could never get the SWRs down below 2.5. (Go with a handheld, much easier!)
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Wow, I will say that is one time to have a CB radio in the truck so you can get updates from the truckers and follow where they are going. If you search Amazon, they have several handheld CB radios. We removed the permanent mount one in it rig since I could never get the SWRs down below 2.5. (Go with a handheld, much easier!)
    I was so close to ordering one from Amazon. Have a small cubby in dash where one would fit - hadn't thought about the portables. I haven't used one since the 1970s when the continuous skipping and interruptions from local kids got so bad that it was impossible to have a conversation with our club. My 2nd list is growing everyday. 2500 miles to go - wonder what else I'll be adding.....
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first thought was also to just get on the CB and ask the truckers. My second idea is to follow the main flow of the traffic to a safe spot then check with you RV GPS unit and paper maps. Google is a good reference but, like you said, it doesn't know you have an RV.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods