User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front Jack Issue

So we picked up our camper, brand new on April 1, 2022. Took it on our first trip on April 9th and when we got back the front right jack failed. The electronic controller just said right front jack error. After spending some time on the phone with the Lippert customer service, who were very helpful with troubleshooting, they determined that the jack motor had indeed failed and had opened a case on their end. I contacted the dealer and they stated they would replace the jack under warranty and ship the parts to me with a late July date for install. I called twice more and was told both times that the part had not yet been ordered yet and they would order that day. It's now been six weeks and the part isn't here, so I highly doubt that they ordered the part. Talked with Lippert today and they have not seen any orders come through for that part, and the part has been in stock since the original call. Since then nobody will answer my calls, every time I call, I'm shuffled around to various voicemails or told that nobody from service was able to answer my call. Starting Monday I have been trying to get a hold of Grand Design customer support to see if I can work through them to get the part. I've watched enough videos and I'm fairly mechanically inclined, so I'm pretty sure I can replace the jack myself, however I have not been able to get ahold of anybody at Grand Design either. I've sent emails, left voice mails, done the call back option and even waited almost 2.5 hours on hold this afternoon and have yet to be able to get a hold of anybody. I know that service centers are backed up, but this has been going on for 6 weeks with little to no response and a lot of run around. We have a trip coming up in 2 weeks. I'm at the point where I'm just going to have to buy the parts outright to get my camper fixed so we can go camping in June, which I have a huge problem dropping $600 on repair parts on a camper that is less than 60 days old.

EDIT: Most of the post was just venting because the whole process is becoming way more of an issue than it should have been, but the actual issue is the right front jack will not extend by way of the motor. The Lippert control panel just shows right front jack error. During troubleshooting with Lippert swapped the leads on the controller so the right rear was plugged into the right front outlet and that went up and down just fine. We were eventually able to get the jack down using a drill and socket to manually run the jack down. Lippert believes the motor is bad. The fun part is trying to figure out how to get the new parts to replace it.
    Last edited by abryant764; 05-26-2022 at 04:48 PM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess any information isn't really important since you're not asking for advice, but knowing what model you're talking about would be great. It's possible that someone else has had a similar issue and can give advice about how to proceed.

I had issues with the Happijac beds, and talked to the tech support guy, and he gave great advice. But the actual problem was something else completely. I found it on my own.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had something very similar happen, but to the left rear jack on my 303RLS. Turner out it was the connection at the jack head, I unplugged it and found that the pins in the connector were not seated completely. I was able to get them seated and plugged the connector back together and it has worked ever since.
    2020 303RLS
    2018 Dodge 2500 Cummins
    BW Companion
    Retired and loving it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the OP’s story can be deeper in the fact the dealer is not providing the after sell support they should and GD not being prompt on returning or even answering calls. Maybe just me but at least do some lip service to customers.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abryant764 View Post
    So we picked up our camper, brand new on April 1, 2022. Took it on our first trip on April 9th and when we got back the front right jack failed. The electronic controller just said right front jack error. After spending some time on the phone with the Lippert customer service, who were very helpful with troubleshooting, they determined that the jack motor had indeed failed and had opened a case on their end. I contacted the dealer and they stated they would replace the jack under warranty and ship the parts to me with a late July date for install. I called twice more and was told both times that the part had not yet been ordered yet and they would order that day. It's now been six weeks and the part isn't here, so I highly doubt that they ordered the part. Talked with Lippert today and they have not seen any orders come through for that part, and the part has been in stock since the original call. Since then nobody will answer my calls, every time I call, I'm shuffled around to various voicemails or told that nobody from service was able to answer my call. Starting Monday I have been trying to get a hold of Grand Design customer support to see if I can work through them to get the part. I've watched enough videos and I'm fairly mechanically inclined, so I'm pretty sure I can replace the jack myself, however I have not been able to get ahold of anybody at Grand Design either. I've sent emails, left voice mails, done the call back option and even waited almost 2.5 hours on hold this afternoon and have yet to be able to get a hold of anybody. I know that service centers are backed up, but this has been going on for 6 weeks with little to no response and a lot of run around. We have a trip coming up in 2 weeks. I'm at the point where I'm just going to have to buy the parts outright to get my camper fixed so we can go camping in June, which I have a huge problem dropping $600 on repair parts on a camper that is less than 60 days old.

EDIT: Most of the post was just venting because the whole process is becoming way more of an issue than it should have been, but the actual issue is the right front jack will not extend by way of the motor. The Lippert control panel just shows right front jack error. During troubleshooting with Lippert swapped the leads on the controller so the right rear was plugged into the right front outlet and that went up and down just fine. We were eventually able to get the jack down using a drill and socket to manually run the jack down. Lippert believes the motor is bad. The fun part is trying to figure out how to get the new parts to replace it.
    I found the converter on my 2021 31MB had failed 3 days before a 5 day trip a couple months after we took delivery. I ordered the converter and replaced it myself.

I didnt like paying almost 200 dollars for a warranty part myself, but under the circumstances and how our trip went it was momey well spent. I talked to the dealer a few weeks later and they said email them a copy of the Amazon reciept and let them have the old converter and they would deal with GD.

The dealer cut me a check for the amount I paid Amazon for the converter.

I feel your frustration but hang in there and keep your cool. I can almost guarantee they will make it right. You just need to talk to the right person. I never contacted GD, I only dealt with my dealer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk