User Tag List

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar upgrade in progress

Last week I left paradise.
    We had a Turkey hunt on the North Rim. With the price of fuel, hardly anyone showed up. In eleven days, only 3 vehicles drove by. I never actually saw another human the entire time..And The Solar kept. the batteries up for the entire trip. I never had to run a generator... That said, my factory Jaboni controller was next to useless halfway into the hunt. It kept going into float. I ended up turning it off with it's 300 watt panel and just letting the Victron 1080 watt system do the job. So I decided to get another Victron controller for the 300 watt Jaboni panel... And since I was spending money and had enough space to easily put 4 more 120 watt Aims panels on... I made sure the New Victron was big enough to run both the Jaboni and Aims panels. That meant a Victron 150/60 smart controller to go along with the 250/100 Victron already installed. All parts have been ordered. The controller arrived yesterday. I installed it today It is running the Jaboni panel like it should, and with both Victrons being of the smart variety, they work as one switching modes together with having to wire them together. When it's all done, I will have 14 panels totaling 1780 watts. And I think I will be finished with it.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Last week I left paradise.
    We had a Turkey hunt on the North Rim. With the price of fuel, hardly anyone showed up. In eleven days, only 3 vehicles drove by. I never actually saw another human the entire time..And The Solar kept. the batteries up for the entire trip. I never had to run a generator... That said, my factory Jaboni controller was next to useless halfway into the hunt. It kept going into float. I ended up turning it off with it's 300 watt panel and just letting the Victron 1080 watt system do the job. So I decided to get another Victron controller for the 300 watt Jaboni panel... And since I was spending money and had enough space to easily put 4 more 120 watt Aims panels on... I made sure the New Victron was big enough to run both the Jaboni and Aims panels. That meant a Victron 150/60 smart controller to go along with the 250/100 Victron already installed. All parts have been ordered. The controller arrived yesterday. I installed it today It is running the Jaboni panel like it should, and with both Victrons being of the smart variety, they work as one switching modes together with having to wire them together. When it's all done, I will have 14 panels totaling 1780 watts. And I think I will be finished with it.
    I think your experience shows the difference in performance between "Retail Grade" Solar Controllers and "Professional Grade" Solar Charge Controllers. The systems the OEMs are installing are moderate performers at best.

Victron has an excellent reputation for a reason, they perform day-in and day-out in the toughest conditions.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK