User Tag List

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DC to DC Chager - Worth It?

If I don't change the wiring from my truck's charging system to the input of a DC to DC charger and just rely on whatever wire gauge and amperage is available at the 7 pin connector (and into the RV) is it worth using a DC to DC Charger?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, if you need the charging on the road.

The trick is that the only way to make a device take more current is to apply a higher voltage to it. With batteries, that means a higher voltage than the current battery state. A discharged battery trying to draw current from the charging system of the truck eventually reaches an equilibrium where the voltage drop in the truck and trailer wiring causes the voltage applied to the battery to fall so low that no more current will flow. This usually occurs well before the typical 15A limit of the circuit.

By installing a DC-DC converter, you are putting a device at the end of the wire that isn’t nearly as much affected by some voltage drop. It just needs power, so it draws as much power as is available from the truck at whatever voltage reaches it. Then, it boosts the voltage applied to the battery so as much power as is available flows into the battery.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stock setup charges lead acid fine to 100%. No DC-DC needed.
    If you installed LiFeP04, then a DC-DC will charge your new battery to 100%, the stock setup won't. Going through factory original wiring, you don't want a big DC-DC charger because you don't want to go over about 8-10 amps. If you want to install your own charging wires...well...size the wires to the charge current you want to utilize.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    If I don't change the wiring from my truck's charging system to the input of a DC to DC charger and just rely on whatever wire gauge and amperage is available at the 7 pin connector (and into the RV) is it worth using a DC to DC Charger?
    No. Unless you increase wire size from battery on tow vehicle to trailer, it will not be worth it. Adding a DC>DC charger doesn't magically create more amps. Your limiting factor will be wire size and fuses/electronic limiters in the truck. It'll will vary between model truck but you are likely limited to less than 10-15 amps regardless of dc>dc converter.

Full-time Traveling Family ,'21 Momentum 395MS-R, '21 F450 King, 2000watts solar, Dual Victron MP-II 12/3000 2 x 120v, 1220ah LiFePo4