User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

800 watt Rich Solar kit from Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Should work fine.... Only caveat is I am not sure of the controller quality.
    I just replaced my factory Jaboni controller with another Victron because the factory Jaboni just could not cut it.
    Agreed. I will take the kit at face value, which is a pretty good deal. If there ends up being an issue with the charge controller, I will deal with it when it happens.

Coupled with this I am looking at an Ampere time 300ah Lifepo4 to replace my 2 fla gc2’s
    Last edited by Redapple63; 05-28-2022 at 04:06 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using 10 gauge cables for 1320 watts. there is no reason to swap out the cables as long as you keep the amps below 30. my 1320 watts worth of panels are pulling 800 watts right now at 12.8 amps. if 2 panels are parallel and 2 are series the 9 amp panels at best will be at 18 amps. if there all in series your only at 9 amps.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    personally I would build my own. buy 800 watt panels for about 680$(HQST 200 Watt 12V Monocrystalline Solar). buy a nicer victron 50 amp MPPT for $320. all the wires and brackets are very cheap on amazon and you will have a much better system with the victron.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @bildorn, it is prewired with 10 gauge. In will use 4 gauge from the controller to the batteries.

Bill
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is another kit which is a option. The charge controller is a rebranded EPEver which Will Prowse raves about in review linked below. You would have to buy a remote monitor for about $30 and program it for Lithium (User battery selection). You can also easily find a 5% discount code via Google.

https://www.newpowa.com/collections/...-24v-solar-kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF_cVEYxj3E

https://battlebornbatteries.com/sett...ar-controller/
    Tim
    2020 Reflection 320MKS, Sidewinder Hitch
    2003 2500HD Silverado Duramax, Sumo springs, Hawk Brake Pads

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

800 watt Rich Solar kit from Amazon

Thanks @Indy Tim. I did see the systems Will was reviewing. Love watching him. I like the 200 watt panels simply because I don’t really want to fill my roof with panels. The 200 watt size is a nice compromise. Agree the charge controller is the big variable here. I haven’t done anything yet, so while the Rich Solar is a great kit in my eyes, it does represent a bit of a compromise from the top tier products per se, but still very good. Need to make my decision soon, been waffling over this all winter.
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just check the charge controller max wire size, many smaller charge controllers really cant fit 4 gauge. I think even my victron 50 amp was for 6 gauge wire if I remember right.

Bill

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at that Rich Solar charge controller and really liked it. It's nearly identical to the Renogy model of the same amperage size except Rich Solar has done some improvements like larger input-output terminals that allow larger gauge wires, possibly 4awg. Because I choose to go with 1000 watts of solar connected in parallel, I would have had to use 2 Rich Solar controllers. Instead I went with one Epever 60 amp charge controller because of very good reviews and its rated for 60 amps. I still used the Rich Solar 200 watt panels and am very pleased so far with their performance. Last week on a sunny day I saw 51 amps charge going to the batteries! That was during a lunch break while traveling and running the fridge on ac through the inverter. This time of year the sun is nearly over head and
    you'll get the most out of your roof mounted solar system. Also I found that 8 awg size solar cable will fit in the standard MC-4 solar connectors but you've got to lubricate the insulation part of the wire with dielectric grease and kind of force it into the connector. One other thing, the Rich Solar panels use black wire for both the positive and negative cables but they are labeled. Unfortunately the labels are kind of hidden under the panels so if you can put some red electrical tape on the end next to the positive connector you won't have to use your meter to determine polarity. Good luck with your decisions and happy travels!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, Newbee here. I have the factory stock solar setup on a 2970RL. I know that it is directly wired from the panel to the battery. However, what I do not understand is what is this battery providing energy for? The refrigerator? Anything else? If it is running the refrigerator and boondocking under normal conditions how long would this last? I am trying to begin to understand what is running off of the battery and if I need to upgrade. Thanks for putting up with an inexperienced RVer. TP

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Guys, Newbee here. I have the factory stock solar setup on a 2970RL. I know that it is directly wired from the panel to the battery. However, what I do not understand is what is this battery providing energy for? The refrigerator? Anything else? If it is running the refrigerator and boondocking under normal conditions how long would this last? I am trying to begin to understand what is running off of the battery and if I need to upgrade. Thanks for putting up with an inexperienced RVer. TP
    It depends on what you're planning to do with your rig. The solar package on your coach feeds the 12-volt DC side of your power use. It looks like you have a model with the new 12-volt refrigerators. And you probably got a lead-acid battery, most are 100 amp-hour (Ah) batteries. If your refrigerator uses 3 or 4 amps, over a full day that would be 70 Ah or more. Since a lead-acid battery can be damaged if discharged below 50%, you only have about 50 Ah that are useable. The solar system will supply 80 Ah or more given no shade and full sun. So if you're not running much else, then your system could probably support the refrigerator. For a more robust system, consider adding another battery. Even better, switch to LiFePo4 batteries (expensive at first but worth it if you camp off grid). There are many other posts on the forum that will give you a more detailed picture of what to do.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast