User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gear Track Install, Walls in the Garage and Pop Rivets

Good Morning All -
    So my wife is after me to install some sort of storage in the garage of our 2021 Momentum 350G for our kids and grand kids to put their things in when they are with us. I've looked around and the Gladiator Gear Track, available locally at Lowes, looks like it has the attachments to get us started. I'm thinking a basket for clothes, a towel hook and maybe a shelf for phones and such. Not a lot of weight. Maybe 10 lbs? Only when parked would there be weight on the wall.

I requested and received the blueprints for our unit and have used a stud finder to try and confirm where suitable attachment points are. The tracks come in 48 inch lengths and will span the studs that I have selected which range from 30-40 inches apart.

The question becomes how to attach them?

Are the studs aluminum?
    Are all of the studs "stuffed" with wood? The blueprints suggest that at least some are but the ones that I am looking at don't look like they are.
    How thick are the walls? The best I can do suggests to me that they are right at 2 inches but I would hate to run a 1 1/2 screw in and have it come out the other side.

My conclusion at this point is take 1 1/2 #10 sheet metal screws and run them into the studs. What do you think? Will four screws in two of the plain aluminum studs hold the weight I'm talking about securely and permanently?

I also looked at pop rivets as additional support in a couple of places just in the wallboard. A regular pop rivet doesn't have enough on the back side to hold very long or securely in the wall board but they make something called a bulb or tri-fold rivet that expands into 3 legs on the backside to provide a larger area for support. It looks like they could be useful; maybe better than plastic anchors. What do you think? Examples and pictures at: blindrivetsupply.com/Bulb-Rivets-Everything-You-Need-to-Know_b_13.html

Looks like these would also work in the plain aluminum studs. Maybe better than screws in the aluminum? My view would be that the aluminum studs, relatively soft and thin, ability to hold a screw would seem to be the weak point in the arrangement? What do you think?

I know I've rambled some but I'm not very talented at this sort of thing so I'm looking for both direction and moral support before I do something stupid and permanent to our camper.

Thanks

Lee

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RLH, did you ever go ahead with this. I am looking at doing the same thing in my 350G, but will be utilizing X-Track instead.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is a little late but this is what I did in the back of our 395. Then I mounted a towel rack to the underside and hang one of those hanging clothes shelf that have 6 cubbies for clothes etc. The cabinet also locks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210406_172531.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	44588