User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running A/C on 110

We have a 247BH and while at home have it plugged into a 110 outlet to keep the battery charged and run basic lights/ etc. Was curious if that is sufficient and/ or safe to run the A/C unit. Daughter turned it on the other day and it did kick on we shut if off right away just because didn't want to cause any damage. Hoping for some confirmation or advise. Thanks

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 321Eagle View Post
    We have a 247BH and while at home have it plugged into a 110 outlet to keep the battery charged and run basic lights/ etc. Was curious if that is sufficient and/ or safe to run the A/C unit. Daughter turned it on the other day and it did kick on we shut if off right away just because didn't want to cause any damage. Hoping for some confirmation or advise. Thanks
    As long as there is sufficient power to start the unit, it is pretty unlikely you would damage it by running it on your home outlet. We've done the same for years. The moment of truth is start-up, that's when the AC uses the most power. If it gets past that initial surge, then it will use less power going forward. You may not be able to use much else on the circuits in the coach while the AC is running. Worst case you'll blow a fuse (trip your breaker).

BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your air conditioner always runs on 120V. The amperage of the service is what determines if it’s safe or will run. A household outlet is typically 15A, while your rig is designed for 30A service. It’s fine on 15A service as long as it starts and the voltage inside the trailer doesn’t drop too much while it’s running.

Depending on your property, you may be able to install RV service where you park and make things more convenient.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run my AC off a dogbone connector to the 15A service on the side of my house all the time. It works great. If you run the AC, I'd suggest not running hair dryers, microwave, electric water heater, etc just to be on the safe side, but a standard 15A outlet works great, provided you're not pushing it through a lightweight 150' extension cord.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Coleman Mach AC unit draws 10.2A, well within a standard 15A wall plug. I would guess the wifey’s hair dryer pulls just as much if not more than your AC. Go for it and keep the air in that RV cool and mild.
    Randy and Kris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for all the replies and assuring it should be fine.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve never had trouble running a single A/C on a 15-amp circuit. Lowest voltage I’ve seen was on a 30-amp circuit at a campground. It’s much better at home.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trailer Life Did a great write up years ago, on low voltage and AC operation..... Anything less than 108 volts is not good for an AC... It will run fine on less voltage, but it's not good for the compressor... get a volt meter to monitor volts..
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazon sells a nice little AC voltmeter that just plugs into an outlet. As long as the AC doesn’t struggle to start and the line voltage stays above 110 it will be fine…. until you decide to run the microwave or some other large consumer.
    Low voltage is very hard on lots of equipment, especially an air conditioner

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using a large enough power cord is important... you can burn up the wiring in the AC otherwise. Did that once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast