User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Above couch cabinet floor reinforcement - Solitude 378MBS

We are full timers who homeschool and use the above couch storage cabinets for those supplies (books, binders, paper, and school supplies). We noticed some bowing on the floor after we put everything in and wondered if anyone has reinforced the floor of these cabinets and how they did it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8826.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	40945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8827.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	40946
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8826.jpg   IMG_8827.jpg  
    U.S. Navy Retired
    Haz, Gin, CD, and CE

2020 Ford F450 Platinum
    2022 GDRV Solitude 378MBS

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very difficult to see any bowing in the pictures. Perhaps if you say a straight line ruler or broomsick up to it . That could help show any bowing.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there,

Hard to see the bowing on the inside too but, significant since adding the weight of the school supplies. I have a feeling this is just a hollow cavity for running 12vdc wires for the interior and rear lights. I'm thinking of removing the bottom and just adding some 1"x2" cross braces but, was interested to see if anyone had done anything different.
    U.S. Navy Retired
    Haz, Gin, CD, and CE

2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haznavy View Post
    Hey there,

Hard to see the bowing on the inside too but, significant since adding the weight of the school supplies. I have a feeling this is just a hollow cavity for running 12vdc wires for the interior and rear lights. I'm thinking of removing the bottom and just adding some 1"x2" cross braces but, was interested to see if anyone had done anything different.
    I agree that is a good idea, that cavity is pretty much just a wire chase. I would take it one step further, I would add some additional fasteners to the wall to help with the overall weight. With all the jostling as you travel down the road, I see that as an ounce of prevention.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    I agree that is a good idea, that cavity is pretty much just a wire chase. I would take it one step further, I would add some additional fasteners to the wall to help with the overall weight. With all the jostling as you travel down the road, I see that as an ounce of prevention.
    I would second this. We have the same cabinets in our rig and I'm not sure how well they are fastened to the rest of the structure and how strong the framing is. You could reinforce the bottom and keep a bunch of weight in it only to encounter roads like we did yesterday and have the whole thing come down. There are a LOT of G-forces at the back of a towable RV... especially with the stock suspension (solid axles and leaf springs).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I would second this. We have the same cabinets in our rig and I'm not sure how well they are fastened to the rest of the structure and how strong the framing is. You could reinforce the bottom and keep a bunch of weight in it only to encounter roads like we did yesterday and have the whole thing come down. There are a LOT of G-forces at the back of a towable RV... especially with the stock suspension (solid axles and leaf springs).

Rob
    Rob - concur and did just that when I reinforced today with 2"x2" cross braces every 16" and new 1/4" birch plywood for cabinetry. Sunk in a few more screws to the back wall for good measure. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8834.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	40976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8836.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	40977
    U.S. Navy Retired
    Haz, Gin, CD, and CE

2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Haznavy Awesome reinforce!! I assume this has completely fixed your previous bowing issues since there wasn't any follow up on this. Will keep it in mind as I may in the future encounter a similar situation. At least for the the beginning of this school year I'll be to homeschooling on the road . By the way are there any online help you are using with your kid(s)? Fortunately I've got internet access which will make things easier and I've been researching for some online support materials, I'd normally go with free resources but premium resources are not out of the table at this point either.

-AJ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AJ,

I'll get with my wife to amass some homeschool resources and get back with you.

v/r

Tod
    U.S. Navy Retired
    Haz, Gin, CD, and CE

2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome! Thanks Tod! So far they've recommended this math tutor app and unorganized playlist videos on Youtube like a channel named "The organic chemistry tutor" which as the name suggests focus mainly on science material whereas I'm looking more for math resources.

Thank you again, looking forward to your resources