User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitch Question (sorry if it has already been answered)

We picked up a 2021 260RD yesterday, and we love it. I had bought a used Demco Autoslide 18k hitch that I thought would be perfect for my 2015 F350 shortbed. It seems to work well, but I am really nervous about finding myself in a situation in a campground where I can't back straight into the pinbox. I've pulled trailers my entire life, but I've never pulled a 5th wheel, so finding a hitch was really confusing for me. There are a million variations.

I guess my question is what do people recommend for a hitch? (Our camper has the turning point pinbox which I'm still trying to work through what the benefits might be). One campground we go to frequently simply won't work with my Autoslide as far as I can tell. Unless there is a trick to latch at a decent angle I'll need to find a different hitch solution.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may need to rethink your situation. My understanding is that the Turing Point hitch is design to eliminate the need for a “slider” hitch.

Someone with firsthand experience with the Turning Point will chime in to help you.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had manual slider hitch for 20 years and I’ve never actually needed to slide it to make it into a campsite. And I’ve been into all kinds of tight campsites.

Granted you have a pay attention. A turn too sharp and you’ll break the rear window or dent the cab. But it has to be pretty sharp.

A manual slider might be a good choice so you can slide it if you want. As you get comfortable you’ll probably find yourself not sliding it as often until you just don’t bother anymore.

There are no special restrictions on hitching angles or anything with a manual slider.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome! If you cant hitch in a position it's very likely you can't unhitch at that same angle so it's a problem you'll likely never have. When we had our short bed Ford we did not have a slider and had no problems.

(moved thread to hitching forum section)
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Hi and welcome! If you cant hitch in a position it's very likely you can't unhitch at that same angle so it's a problem you'll likely never have. When we had our short bed Ford we did not have a slider and had no problems.

(moved thread to hitching forum section)
    Was this with the Turning Point or similar in use when you mention not having any problems with the short bed?
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    Was this with the Turning Point or similar in use when you mention not having any problems with the short bed?
    No turning point, just a regular set up. I think several here don't even use the turning point features and lock it out. search this section (hitchin etc) for turning point and you should find some more posts and opinions on the subject
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DalePatterson View Post
    We picked up a 2021 260RD yesterday, and we love it. I guess my question is what do people recommend for a hitch? (Our camper has the turning point pinbox which I'm still trying to work through what the benefits might be).
    We also have the 260RD. We have the Anderson hitch and our pinbox is locked. So far it has worked well.

PS: Welcome to the forum.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S