User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow vehicle lubricants

So I’m guessing this has been debated before, but I couldn’t find a similar topic in search, so here goes…

My truck is about to hit 30k miles, and given the amount of weight it pulls regularly, (we full time), I want to be ahead of the power curve on preventatives, not behind. With that in mind, I’m strongly considering going with a more expensive flavor of oil, like AMSoil or Ravenol. I’m planning on doing an oil change, fuel filters, transfer case, ATF and filter (no flush unless the old fluid is bad), rear diff, and maybe the front. The higher end oils are about double what big box brand synthetic oils of the same weight run. That comes out to about $600 in parts before I pay someone else a grand or so to put them in. That is in addition to my $500 brake bill this month.

I don’t mind spending money to be safe, but I had a shop guy basically lecture me that I was spending silly amounts of money for “a warm fuzzy feeling”, as he felt all synthetic oils were the same. (Admittedly, he wanted me to buy his oil that was supposedly as good as the more expensive stuff I bought elsewhere.) I also don’t see a ton of convincing data for either argument.

Does anyone have a strong opinion either way? I’m running down the road at 30k total weight, and we’ve put almost 15k miles towing in 8 months, so the truck is working hard for sure.

Cheers

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Josh Ward
    2022 Momentum 395 MS-R, 8k axles
    2020 Ram 3500 4 door, DRW, 4wd, diesel, 4:10, Airlift bags, Reese 27k hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amsoil is one of the best oils you can get , but at double the price the way I would justify it is if it was in an extreme environment and extreme driving conditions.

Amsoil is amazing in super hot and super cold weather, does not break , down as easy as other oils and is able contain much more suspended solids than others, but at double the price, can’t justify it. While under warranty I will run the dealer diesel oil, and increase the change intervals. I am not in an extreme environment so I am ok with that. I could get double the oil changes for the same price as the Amsoil.

Others may feel differently, that is my perspective. Got about 22k on my truck now and about a third of that towing.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told by two different mechanics that worked for Cummins, to change the oil every 5 to 6k and you should never have a problem. I have lived by that rule and have one truck pushing 400,000 and the other is a 2018 with only about 60k on it. I was also told on the Cummins you only need the synthetic oil if is used in Alaska. I know the 2018 manual says you only have to change the oil every 14 to 15k but according to the mechanic the auto industry knows that engine will last 100k at those change intervals. After that they no longer have to warrant it and they hope to sell you a new truck. I make sure that the transmissions on both trucks get changed at their regular intervals, my transmission guy switched the older truck over to synthetic at about 200k and it has never had a problem, or a rebuild yet. Both trucks get heavy use pulling trailers, dump trailers, and my trackhoe trailer.
    2020 303RLS
    2018 Dodge 2500 Cummins
    BW Companion
    Retired and loving it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SSROSS View Post
    I was told by two different mechanics that worked for Cummins, to change the oil every 5 to 6k and you should never have a problem. I have lived by that rule and have one truck pushing 400,000 and the other is a 2018 with only about 60k on it. I was also told on the Cummins you only need the synthetic oil if is used in Alaska. I know the 2018 manual says you only have to change the oil every 14 to 15k but according to the mechanic the auto industry knows that engine will last 100k at those change intervals. After that they no longer have to warrant it and they hope to sell you a new truck. I make sure that the transmissions on both trucks get changed at their regular intervals, my transmission guy switched the older truck over to synthetic at about 200k and it has never had a problem, or a rebuild yet. Both trucks get heavy use pulling trailers, dump trailers, and my trackhoe trailer.
    Totally agree. I stick to about 7k on the interval using synthetic. I just can’t let my truck go 10k+ with the towing we’re doing. It’s just against my nature.

Josh Ward

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Amsoil is one of the best oils you can get , but at double the price the way I would justify it is if it was in an extreme environment and extreme driving conditions.

Amsoil is amazing in super hot and super cold weather, does not break , down as easy as other oils and is able contain much more suspended solids than others, but at double the price, can’t justify it. While under warranty I will run the dealer diesel oil, and increase the change intervals. I am not in an extreme environment so I am ok with that. I could get double the oil changes for the same price as the Amsoil.

Others may feel differently, that is my perspective. Got about 22k on my truck now and about a third of that towing.

Bill
    I’ve had a tough time figuring out which oils meet the “10902 API CK-4 CES 20081” standards from the manual, as different brands seem to use different standards. I’ve just used Mobil 1 so far as it was my previous go-to and it met the requirements.

Josh Ward

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragod1345 View Post
    I’ve had a tough time figuring out which oils meet the “10902 API CK-4 CES 20081” standards from the manual, as different brands seem to use different standards. I’ve just used Mobil 1 so far as it was my previous go-to and it met the requirements.

Mobil 1 is a great oil. Use the gas version of their oil for my car. From what I understand the dealer diesel oil is a dexos synthetic.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be an Amsoil fan when I drove a LOT of miles for my job. We have a distribution center locally so I had their discount account. Since I retired, I still use synthetic and it used to be Mobil 1. Now I use Costco synthetic for the gas engines and buy it when its on sale with free shipping. I changed my dif to synthetic at around 30K as well. I like synthetic because I feel OK with exceeding the manufacture recommended mileage when we are on the road and the Tundra wants an oil change, I just reset the oil minder and keep going and change once we're back home. Then I reset the minder again once changed.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used straight Dino oil in my offroad Jeeps, hotrods and boats for years. With regular oil and filter changes, one could get by without expensive synthetics. But, if you like the longer oil life between changes, the highend sythetics do offer longer service intervals but for a more costly price.

Since most new vehicle motors now require/recommend (for warranty purposes) specific synrthetic oils, I have switched over to Mobile 1. It can be purchased at wallmart for a reasonable price for 5qt containers. Plus Mobile 1 tend to cover the newer blends OEMs come up with faster than the others.

I do continue to use Motorcraft oil filters too for my fords, because they can also be purchased cheaper from walmart and are decent filters themselves. For my other vehicles, boats, etc... i typically go with either WIX or PuralatorOne oil filters.

IMO (and experience building motors), ita all about proper preventive maintenance intervals with what you use, not so much the money spent getting there.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's interesting because the RAM dealers have two different blends for the Cummins - full synthetic and dino. I had to ask for the synthetic as there are different service categories for both and they would normally put in the dino. I'll be close to 7K on this oil change with 4.5K towing so I opted for the synthetic. Next change when we get home and the Bosch pump recall is done. I personally like synthetic in trans and diffs as well, with the exception of dino in the diffs when whale oil additive was still available.

I've used Amsoil on my 2001 Cummins - but always with an Amsoil oil filter. Never have seen such clean oil after 15K miles when changed and oil tests were very positive. Compare that to my Ford 6.0L oil which was charcoal after 1 minute run time post oil change.

That said, I've used full synthetic in all my vehicles (20+ - lost count) for 35 years.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    It's interesting because the RAM dealers have two different blends for the Cummins - full synthetic and dino. I had to ask for the synthetic as there are different service categories for both and they would normally put in the dino. I'll be close to 7K on this oil change with 4.5K towing so I opted for the synthetic. Next change when we get home and the Bosch pump recall is done. I personally like synthetic in trans and diffs as well, with the exception of dino in the diffs when whale oil additive was still available.

I've used Amsoil on my 2001 Cummins - but always with an Amsoil oil filter. Never have seen such clean oil after 15K miles when changed and oil tests were very positive. Compare that to my Ford 6.0L oil which was charcoal after 1 minute run time post oil change.

That said, I've used full synthetic in all my vehicles (20+ - lost count) for 35 years.
    Pretty much all my vehicles as well once OEM recomendations started. But do still put Dino in the boats, 4whlrs, lawn mowers, and Jeep offroad only truck.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast