User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water heater efficiency

We have a water heater with a tank. Which is more efficient? Electric or Gas?
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what you mean by "efficient". Using gas is using your propane, using electricity is using the campground's electricity, so I guess you could say electricity is more efficient. If you mean how quickly does the water get heated, I think (never did a A/B test) that gas is faster.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alias100 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "efficient". Using gas is using your propane, using electricity is using the campground's electricity, so I guess you could say electricity is more efficient. If you mean how quickly does the water get heated, I think (never did a A/B test) that gas is faster.
    Sorry that I wasn't specific. It was which will keep up with demand.
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, it depends on the demand. Running both would allow the demand to be higher.

Here is what I do, when I set up, I turn on both. Propane and gas. I have no proof, but I just believe that the water will get up to temperature faster. Once the water is hot, I turn off the propane. I have never ran out of hot water, but then I'm not running the shower for hours either.

I doubt if anyone is going to give you the answer for your needs so you'll just have to experiment with your demands.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read that some people will use both sources, gas and electric, at the same time when there are multiple people taking showers. I also read that some used to do that, but stopped because the extra heat was blowing their thermal cutoff switch. Good luck, and if you end up doing a test to see which heats faster I would like to see what you find out.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alias100 View Post
    I have read that some people will use both sources, gas and electric, at the same time when there are multiple people taking showers. I also read that some used to do that, but stopped because the extra heat was blowing their thermal cutoff switch. Good luck, and if you end up doing a test to see which heats faster I would like to see what you find out.
    I wonder if there is a physical sound it makes when the water is proper temp?
    Upstate NY
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use electric when at a park but the gas definitely heats the water faster (15 min). I will use both if we are taking showers back to back but always turn the gas off once finished. Using this method we have never had a cold shower.
    2021 Reflection 340RDS
    2022 Ram 3500 Big Horn/CCSB//4X4/SRW/HEMI/4:10
    2019 Imagine 2250RK~Sold

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    I wonder if there is a physical sound it makes when the water is proper temp?
    When on gas, we can hear the heater turn off. Not loud, but we can hear it. There is no beep or anything like that, which makes sense as it would get annoying pretty quickly.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gas water heaters are less energy efficient than electric heaters, but the cost of electricity itself makes the running costs of an electric heater higher. Gas water heaters also have a much faster recovery rate, which makes them a convenient option for larger families. Of course if you are using one at a campground and not paying a separate electricity charge, then the answer is obvious. Energy cost aside, electric is more energy efficient. Every single watt of power contributes to heating the water. Gas fired heaters exhaust some of the heat to the outside.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Gas water heaters are less energy efficient than electric heaters, but the cost of electricity itself makes the running costs of an electric heater higher. Gas water heaters also have a much faster recovery rate, which makes them a convenient option for larger families. Of course if you are using one at a campground and not paying a separate electricity charge, then the answer is obvious. Energy cost aside, electric is more energy efficient. Every single watt of power contributes to heating the water. Gas fired heaters exhaust some of the heat to the outside.
    The running costs of an electric water heater are higher when using natural gas but lower when using propane, even if you are paying for the electricity. Right now, natural gas is running about $10 / million Btus (retail). Propane is about $55 / million Btus or over 5 times as much as natural gas. If you would be using propane (RV), electricity is always cheaper.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast