User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made it to Rapid City SD

Well Tami and I had wanted to take a trip out west, we put it off for the last couple years but now........ We planned this trip out west last November. We left Richmond Indiana on the 31st and pulled in today at the Heartland RV Park in Hermosa SD just outside Rapid City. Spent just over $800 in diesel to get here. On the way we stayed over at a couple Harvest Hosts sites, Lavender Crest Winery in Colona IL, exceptional! Then at Pioneer Auto Show & Museum in Murdo SD on I90, Huge! We used HH every other overnight, then traditional campgrounds to fully charge battery and dump tanks.

We started out on the trip getting @ 9-10 mpg but of course the closer we got to Rapid City down went the mileage, barely getting 7 mpg cruising at 65 mph. Climbing a couple long hills we were down to 3 mpg. Truck and rig doing great! I can't say enough about the great highways in South Dakota, exceptional! Smooth, was a pleasure to drive I 90. Heartland RV Park is pretty nice, huge RV park on highway 79 in Hermosa. This evening drove highway 40 into Keystone for dinner, nice drive. Ate at the Ruby House in Keystone, first I ever had a buffalo steak, was pretty good.

We will spend 2 weeks seeing all the sites in the area, hope we can get into the Minute Man Missile silo and 1880s Train Ride. This area of the country is beautiful! Then off to WY and Devils Tower and the areas around it. Living and Loving life! It's worth it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2882.jpg   IMG_2899 (2).jpg   IMG_2897.jpg   IMG_2902.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-03-2022 at 09:35 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve,

The Black Hills are beautiful, so much to do. We went there several times with the kids and several times with just the two of us. In fact, we once went 6 years in a row. Due to Covid, we haven’t been back there for a couple years but just last night we were talking about going back this fall.

Have fun exploring!

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great write up. We love SD. We always have a good time in Deadwood.

Can't wait to hear more.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our Harvest Host stopover at Lavender Crest Winery just off I 80 in Colona IL was great. The wine tasting was excellent and the Chocolate wine was fantastic. Really nice place, reasonable prices for their wine, big asphalt parking lot and plenty of room for rigs, there were three rigs spending the night including us. We run with 1/3 full fresh water and with just our battery along with keeping the RV plugged into the truck and its 2 batteries there was no 12V power problems. Our truck provides continuous power on pin 4 of the plug to the RV even shut off. We could of used our generator but we didn't see the need while parking lot boondocking for a couple nights,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2878.jpg   IMG_2879.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-04-2022 at 07:08 AM.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pioneer Auto Show and Transportation Museum in Murdo SD just off I 90 was our second HH stopover. For you car and motorcycle guys there was every kind of car and truck you could imagine, from Cords to 60-70s muscle cars, model Ts and some real vintage cars I've never heard of. And yes some AMC Gremlins and Pacers along with AMC Rebels, Javelins and AMXs !! Even a car made out of wood that was powered by two Cadillac engines. The museum also had tractors and farming equipment of all kinds, military vehicles, johnny poppers, steam engines, fire equipment and just everything you can imagine even a train depot and a couple cars you could walk through. It's worth the stop and only cost $20 for entrance for the both of us. They also have a diner there for a quick bite. They have a huge gravel parking lot for RV rigs and there were 5 rigs there. A Pilot fuel station right across the street and just feet from I 90.

Being a Mopar guy I was well satisfied, having owned two 66 Chargers, when was the last time you saw a 57 Dodge D100 Sweptside Fin? Rare, of course for you Ford and Chevy guys they were well represented as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2887.jpg   IMG_2892.jpg   IMG_2893.jpg   IMG_2894.jpg   IMG_2895.jpg  

Last edited by Steven@147; 06-04-2022 at 06:53 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear you are enjoying it. Rapid City is one of our favorite areas to visit. We are scheduled to go back in late August this year. Rafter J Bar Ranch Campground is our new favorite in the area. Enjoy! Frank.
    Frank & Jolynn Martin
    Litchfield, MN
    Mabel & Bailey, Golden Retriever Fur Kids
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, LB, B&W Turnover Ball, AirLift 5000 Bags
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 4440# CCC, Reese 20K GooseBox, 8K EOH Disc brakes, RV Airflow, SoftStartRV, 2-206AH SOK batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Victron 30A DC2DC,790W of Solar, Flex Armor Roof, Blu Tech Water Filtration, BlazeCut Fire Suppression

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're into this sort of thing, the South Dakota Air and Space Museum at Ellsworth AFB if really cool, too. It's just outside the gate so you don't have to have an ID or get a guest pass:

https://www.sdairandspacemuseum.com/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tks Rob, its on our "to see" list that seems to get longer and longer!!
    Keystone SD is a nice little town, it will remind you of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge but without all the thousands of people and traffic jams, but yes some commercialization and tourist spots but not near as much.

I just have to say, anytime you may think everything is going to heck in a hand basket, just think of these places, the peacefulness of stopping at a pull off to enjoy the mountains and scenery, and all of the other places you've been, puts everything in perspective.

Dang, the sun comes up early here @ 0530, gets you up and at'em to start the day!!
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-04-2022 at 07:29 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mount Rushmore has a nice Lighting Ceremony every evening at dusk, about 9 pm I think. Worth going to.

Custer State Park is also worth the drive, lots of wildlife.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1880 Town in Midland SD I 90 exit 170 is worth a stop. They have a nice big gravel parking lot across the road for RV rigs. I would post a few pics but we used the goPro a lot for this stop. Just google and you'll find it. $20 for the two of us to enter, spent a couple hours here.

I made the mistake of going in the jail and into a cell, Tami shut me in and just laughed!! The saloon is really great and you can go in the back and get period cloths then play dress up and tour the town. Really worth seeing. They have a display there of props used in the "Dances With Wolves" movie. The freight tandem wagon you see in the movie is there on display.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0207 (1).jpg   IMG_0206 (1).jpg   IMG_0205.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-05-2022 at 06:46 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast